Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:08 AM   #26
Noirette

Ape, even before that, Tarja sounds horrbile. She shows she has a gorgerous voice in the new version for "Sleeping Sun", but then she just gt back to her horrible singing, I really do't get it. How can you sing badly on purpose?!

And yes, I have a confession. I was a big Nightsih fan.
Until I was 14. And realised her singing is shitty.
By the way, notice that Simon Simmons, who used to copy Tarja's singing for Epica's first three albums, changed her singing technique completely, sounding damn awesome noe.

I am noot speaking about the horrible, senseless lyrics. Let's leave that untouched.
They are nice to listen to, when the mood hits me, while cleaning. Their old things. I won't listen to a singer who's abilities are lower than mine in the most noticible way.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #27
PortraitOfSanity

If you insist on listening to cheesy, operatic metal, at least listen to the good stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGzl...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY-EOYJQMMY

You're welcome, you fucking ingrates.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #28
Saya

Or even better, proper opera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fZRssq7UlM

Take that, bitches.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #29
vx cheerleader 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
If you insist on listening to cheesy, operatic metal, at least listen to the good stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGzl...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY-EOYJQMMY
Oh, lord. When I wrote Nightwish were responsible for some of my worst memories, I should have thought of Epica and Therion. But actually, my memories of these are not so bad... I really had a good laugh sharing stages with both acts (this was at a festival called "metal therapy" - blimey, "metal therapy" !), they were SO cheesy (and I was SO drunk). The best part was when Therion got the whole Anorexia Nervosa band driven out of their backstage (they had to share the same room) because they were making too much noise and smoking...
vx cheerleader 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #30
PortraitOfSanity

The only band out of three I actually have in my library is Epica, because my ex was huge into them, so it rubbed off at some point.

I'm merely pointing out the fact that Nightwish has no talent at all compared to either Epica or Therion...

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #31
vx cheerleader 69

I would agree on Therion - I don't like their music, they're pretty ridiculous, but at some point they're quite impressive. But Epica.... Have you seen them live ? it was a PAINFUL experience, believe me.

Concerning Nightwish... I hate Nightwish, but I must face the facts : the old line-up was able to put-out incredibly catchy tunes. The kind of songs you instantly hate but that can never get out of your mind afterwards. Human brain is so imperfect when it comes to "catchiness"...

Oh, by the way, anyone liking "Opera" should try the latest Foetus record, "Hide". It's incredibly bombastic, but without any heavy-metal thrown in.
vx cheerleader 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #32
Noirette

Ironicaly, most of the so called "metal opera" bands have the most horrible female singers, and their vocal lines are ridicilous. The few good ones are active for one EP usually ( I really liked Sonata Nocturna. For some reason, they sound as if they were trying something completely new, though it's as cliche as can be. And their combination of piano and bass-guitar at the end is awesome :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcZCfnrluvY )
It sucks.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #33
Mandarinz

Gotta love all the negativity in this topic lol.
Mandarinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #34
ape descendant

@ Noriette-Tarja is totally awesome... if you don't like her music, its most likely that you enjoy a different style, not that she is a shitty singer... its art... you're not going to like some of it.. it isn't a reflection of how good/ shitty that art is.. but merely how small your range of appreciation is.

It has been my experience that people who brag that they can "sing so much better" than some other signer, tend to be really... bad.. at singing... but really good at keeping their over-inflated egos nice and pumped.

@ POS - Therion is one one of the greatest bands ever... I am surprised that no one even mentioned Tristania.. as they are totally awesome. I didn't really like Epica, couldn't get into them.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #35
Noirette

Ape, you're a stubborn little girl that can't accept what she likes is bad and shallow. Much like the way Tarjs tends to ignore the fact she can sing better.

And if you claim Annette deserves listening to, then as far as I care, the topic is closed until you you go check nothing has stuck in your ears.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #36
Mandarinz

@ Noirette: Maybe you should try accepting that some people have different musical tastes to you, and that acting like a music snob makes you look like complete dick head, and we're not going to listen to what you have to say anyway.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #37
Alan

Yeah, sure. It has nothing to do with the fact that you like Nightwish.
No, it's Noirette who must be wrong when she rightly points out that Nightwish is not talented and enjoying them is one thing but actually defending them as great music or worse as an art form is downright stupid.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #38
KontanKarite

No, Noirette is totally right, actually.

Here's the rub and just about everything that falls under this umbrella is like this, so nothing is entirely innocent of it. But musical acts with a dark and morbid or obscure aesthetic are generally shallow and uninteresting. They rely on their stage fashion and photographs to pretty much charm people into liking them, wearing their ideals blatantly on their sleeves because their music can't convey that message appropriately.

Give me ONE example of Nightwish's music that you find is absolutely relevant to the human experience beyond romanticizing your Hot Topic fashion sense.

Nightwish IS bad. You can't just say that it's art and to argue that it's not important to say weather it's good or bad. There IS bad art and there IS good art.

There's lots of good art out there that I don't like and I'm sure that many on here share the same sentiment. But no, Nightwish is contrived, derivative, and uninspired spooky kid drivel.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #39
cannibalnuns

~Applauds~
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #40
Mandarinz

I just think you're being unfair, and are insulting us of something we like. NW make me, and millions of others happy. For that reason, they're a good band and don't suck. So yeah, I'm gonna defend them.
I couldn't care less if you guys hate them/think they suck/are shallow etc, I just think you should respect our opinions and not call us stupid.

Oh, and we don't have a Hot Topic stores in my country, so your reference to it fails for me.

But yeah, I do find NW relevant to the human expericene, especially mine (Ghost Love Score and The Poet and the Pendulam to name a couple). And you can't tell me that's wrong, not when it's my own opinion.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #41
KontanKarite

Uh oh, everyone! Mandarinz is totally right because it's her opinion.

Hate to break it to ya, dollface, but you technically don't have a right to your opinion. Because our "opinions" conflict with each other, then what duty must I meet in order to respect your right to an opinion? Because for me to say that they're different and that's that doesn't do anything but prolong the conflict. I can't and wont respect your opinion. If I did, it would mean that you are right and I don't think you are.

Face it, people that like Nightwish have a hard-on for boring shit like this:

Nightwish is boring music for uninspired gloomcookies.

If the Hot Topic reference confuses you, then let me make it plainer. Nightwish is for mallgoths.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #42
Mandarinz

That picture has no meaning to me whatsoever.

In regards to the respect for opinion thing; you don't like them; good for you. I do; good for me. Just please don't say that we are shallow and can't appreciate good music cause you personally don't like them.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #43
KontanKarite

But yeah, I do find NW to be incredibly shallow and boring, especially (Ghost Love Score and The Poet and the Pendulum to name a couple). And you can't tell me that's wrong, not when it's my own opinion.

...stupid bitch.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #44
Mandarinz

^ Well fuck you very much.
Fine, we're both right, cause it's our opinion.
Now fuck off out of the topic and let NW fans talk about how we like them.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #45
Alan

You are not even listening to him, are you?
I hate how today's people are so fucking conceited they'll take any ridiculous rationalization just so that they don't have to say they're wrong.
real classy
Old 12-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #46
Mandarinz

But I am listening. If I weren't listening I wouldn't be posting here.
If I had said "oh gosh, you're right, I've been wrong about this band for years, I agree with you" would that have counted as listening. I am listening to what you say, and at first I thought you guys had a point. But then you continued to push it.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #47
Alan

So insistence make one wrong? The more consistent a point the more it actually becomes false?
Or does this just prove you're a conceited bitch that doesn't like it when someone calls out on your 'opinions'?
real classy
Old 12-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #48
Mandarinz

No, I don't care at all that you called me out on my opinion. But it's when people say that I'm stupid because of my opinion.

And on a different note, I'm properly curious about the kind of music you guys (who hate NW) listen to. Care to educate me? (And don't decide I'm not worth it because you think I'm stupid bitch.)
Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #49
Mandarinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirette View Post
Ape, you're a stubborn little girl that can't accept what she likes is bad and shallow. Much like the way Tarjs tends to ignore the fact she can sing better.

And if you claim Annette deserves listening to, then as far as I care, the topic is closed until you you go check nothing has stuck in your ears.
It was just this particular comment that I thought was stupid. It wasn't even aimed at me, but we could say the same thing; "that Noirette is s stubborn little girl who can't accept that what we like is good"
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #50
Alan

See? You said "what we like IS GOOD"
It's not that you like it. It's that you genuinely think it's good. That's what makes you stupid.
Not only because they're not, but because you are making a concrete quantifiable statement and yet you claim no one can attack it.
Fuck that shit.
real classy