Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #101
Heretic

I've played quite a few video games on a variety of platforms, and I have to say that The Indigo Prophecy (Xbox) stands as my personal "Gothic" favorite.

"...In this paranormal thriller, New York City is stunned by a series of mysterious murders that follow the same pattern: ordinary people become possessed and kill absolute strangers in public. Lucas Kane becomes another one of these murderers when he suddenly kills a stranger in a men’s bathroom. Lucas must uncover the supernatural forces behind his crime before the police find him-or he loses his sanity..."

Most of the game takes place in a snowbound New York City, with flashback sequences to a desert military base in the 1950s. Like Shadow of the Colossus and Resident Evil, nearly every major scene in the game is full of atmosphere and rich Gothic visuals, a favorite of mine being a fight scene in church against statues of angels brought to life.

The supernatural plays a large part in the game, with conspiracies and threats, real-world and metaphysical, hounding your character from the moment you start the game.

The Indigo Prophecy never lets up, and it gets scarier as the game progresses. The mood and the settings will stay with you long after you've completed the game.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #102
dark_dragon_of_ice

Warhammer 40k the table top game...its so awesome imperial cities all got a gothic cathedral look to them....but slightly modernized so theres traffic lights with these cool eagle sculptures and stuff.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:49 AM   #103
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Bioshock, little girls with giant needles going around looking for dead bodies, vending machines for gun ammo, lots and lots of stuff with needles that you have to use on yourself, and a population gone crazy on genetic modifications. The start of the game itself is great, as you go down in your little submersible you watch a movie designed to welcome newcommers to a supposed utopia. Yet once you get down you find yourself trapped in the dark with this abomination of a human being with hooks for hands cutting his way into the container you're in with no chance for escape. Just an overall amazing dystopia.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #104
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
Bioshock, little girls with giant needles going around looking for dead bodies, vending machines for gun ammo, lots and lots of stuff with needles that you have to use on yourself, and a population gone crazy on genetic modifications. The start of the game itself is great, as you go down in your little submersible you watch a movie designed to welcome newcommers to a supposed utopia. Yet once you get down you find yourself trapped in the dark with this abomination of a human being with hooks for hands cutting his way into the container you're in with no chance for escape. Just an overall amazing dystopia.
Bioshock was flipping awesome. I wouldn't leave my friend's 360 till I beat it; yes, I was THAT bent on finishing the game... it was so addicting, and the gameplay blew my mind away! And that little girl was creepy, but I like her since she reminds me a lot of Alessa Gillespie.

Yes, I'm a Silent Hill junkie. *Hung her head*
L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #105
darkbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I wish they would actually make a Diablo 3 or World of Diablo. But they wont. They said they wouldn't.
YES. I am in absolute love with D2. still....
darkbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #106
MaguMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir
-Alone In the Dark:
Seconding this. Especially, "Alone in the Dark 2," for the computer. Old game from the 90s that had ho-hum graphics, but some of the songs were pretty god damn badass!

Also going to show some love for the Sega "16-bit, bitches!" Genesis and throw out, "Splatter House 2."
MaguMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #107
MaguMan

Forgot to throw up mention of, "Blood." Great first person shooter that has you fighting people with a voodoo doll that you stick the pin into the crotch of. Again - bomb ass music.
MaguMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #108
LaLaLogic

Hmm... of the ones I've played that haven't been mentioned, I'd say the Xenosaga series. It doesn't look gothy, but the plot and themes can get very dark. Cybers and rivetheads would like it, too.

Probably the only game I've ever played that quotes Nietzsche, the titles of the 3 in the series are named after his works. Der Wille zur Macht, Jenseits von Gut und Böse and Also sprach Zarathustra.
LaLaLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #109
cyberdark

I agree with the FEAR funs. ALSO with one not mentioned wich is like... the FATHER of the genre lol :

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
cyberdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #110
Edward Strange

I agree with the above! I've never played it, but my good budski has and he speaks very highly of it and from what I've read of reviews and seen on Google Video I would very much like to play it one day.
On some sort of system that won't melt my computer. I have the same problem with Vampire Bloodlines and it makes me want to scream-weep, such is my wish to play these great games!

Anyway! I know it's been touched upon before but I thought I might throw in my ten pence about System Shock 2.
Despite being a little bit on the dated sign, SS2 is credited as being one of the best games ever. Not only did it give us SHODAN (one of the best baddies either) but it showed everyone how much fun cyberpunk was again and that FPS/RPGs can be good. Very good.

Basically, the idea behind SS2 is that you are on humanity's first Faster Than Light (FTL) ship, exciting stuff eh? You wake up from cryogenic sleep however to find the ship gone mad and is overrun with a strange alien/human hybrid entity called 'The Many' that has taken over the crew, you then proceed to try and find out what happened, meet up with any survivors and generally try and right the situation.

Anyway, the music is all very groovy and the setting is an eerily empty ship. The FPS and RPG sections go together rather well as you can decide which sort of game you can play at the start.
If you like blitzing through a game then you can choose to join as a marine, if you are more a fan of RPG but still like an action game you can join the navy (who specialize in hacking) or if you like your spell slinging and RPG then you can join the secretive OSA, who are psychics.

As you may have seen in Doom 3 and other games, there is plenty of evidence of the ships former occupants (not only because they form the majority of your enemies). There are logs scattered everywhere, personal diaries of people who you wish were still alive. It's very eerie when you hear the babblings of a crewman who is starting to feel the alien infestation, or even their victims. A good example of this is a rather perplexed young nurse who wonders why her medical records are being accessed by the ships executive officer. What makes it even worse is that you only find this log once you kill what she has become.

Other times you will hear tales of heroic resistance, only to have your hopes dashed when you find the site of their last stand and find only a heap of bodies and a desperate final recording.

The atmosphere is electric and SS2 keeps you on your toes constantly as you wander through the decks of the damned ship, trying to find ammunition and health packs. And in this regard that game is very hard. But this just keeps you on your toes even more and makes you think about every shot because you might need that bullet later.
It's a good thing you always have the handy wrench o' justice with which to smite your foes.

Anyway. You should get this game and play it because it is simply very good. It's original, scary and full of personality that will keep you playing until the very end.
I think you can download it for free from Home Of The Underdogs...

Anyway, if you dare brave the Von Braun and associated terrors, you will not be let down.

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #111
zeronegativeplus

Uhm, Castlevania!?
zeronegativeplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 AM   #112
Darcnyss

These are my choices:

Penumbra: Overture - Just damn creepy!
Silent Hill: - As many have said
Realms of the Haunting: - I still love this extremely scary game
Clive Barker's Jericho: - Can't wait to play the full version of this one.
The Legacy of Kain Series: - For obvious reasons
Devil May Cry: - Dante is a closet goth
Shin Megami Tensei: - Heck, you can summon demons via your PC!
Darcnyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #113
dark_dragon_of_ice

People you should all read the lore behind the warhammer 40k universe...its so awesome they have their own publishers..called the black library.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #114
Clockwork

Well then, now you KNOW it's goffik.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:38 AM   #115
Rosie

How is Cyberpunk all that gothy? :/

Some Steampunk stuff is kind of. Bioshock is a lot more gothic than System shock.

There aren't near enough gothy games out there. I'm working on one at the moment for my Final Year Project. Get back to me in 5 months and it should be done.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #116
Murasaki eyeliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Puh-leez, everyone knows that the gothiest Final Fantasy is the one with Sephiroth.
i second that motion
i played that game but i kept losing (although that may have had something to do with me ogling seph and not paying attention to the fighting)

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
-Mae West
Murasaki eyeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #117
Mealla

You guys have good taste. I LOVED 7th Guest, and everyone else has already mentioned what I was going to say...namely the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, American McGee's Alice, Bioshock, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Call of Cthulhu....I also second the Blood series...seems I remember one of the games even had a cenobite-type weapon where all these hooks shoot out and rip your enemies apart. The Castlevania series of course...

And Zork: Nemesis was rather dark, and even included a scene where you go to an abandoned insane asylum, cut off a corpse's head, and reanimate it. The whole game dealt a lot with alchemy, and in the library near the entrance of the main building you start at, there's a parody of "Interview with the Vampire" called "Interview with a Grue."
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #118
Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
i have to agree i spent many nights on bioshock i beat it countless times but kept coming back for more and more

i enjoy pc shooters more than console i enjoy the greater degree of control i have using a mouse it is more accurate
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #119
MegearaErotica

I don't play video games much but based on my experience... Devil May Cry is the best. DANTE! Trenchcoat works for him.
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #120
Jaye Jang

Mortonoid, Goth, and Rocky Horror Picture Show Trivia, Nightmare, and American McGee's Alice.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:21 AM   #121
Elysiume

Most of my favourites have been said. Has anyone played 5 Days A Stranger? The graphics are pretty low tech but the plotline is amazing.
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #122
Resurrectus

• Devil May Cry
  • Silent Hill
  • Castlevania
Resurrectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #123
Elysiume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrectus
  • Devil May Cry
  • Silent Hill
  • Castlevania
I agree with Devil May Cry and Castlevania, but Silent Hill didn't really do it for me. I didn't find it scary at all and the plotline sucked. Also the zombies were just funny, but maybe that's just me?
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #124
Saya

Silent Hill didn't have zombies o.O they were demons. Which one did you play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysiume
Most of my favourites have been said. Has anyone played 5 Days A Stranger? The graphics are pretty low tech but the plotline is amazing.
Five Days a Stranger was awesome, I didn't like Seven Days a Skeptic though.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #125
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Generally anything Megaten is good, and they've got some good dark themes in there too.

Highlights from the series-
Killing God (too many games to mention)
Summoning Demons from a PC (Shin Megami Tensei)
Meeting Lucifer and becoming a half demon by him inserting a demonic parasite into your eye (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne/Lucifer's Call
Devouring the corpses of your defeated enemies (Digital Devil Saga 1 + 2)
Shooting yourself in the head to summon facets of your personality in the form of mythological figures to fight off shadows (Persona 3)
Running a detective agency in the middle of the westernization of Japan and then getting to fight Rasputin (Devil Summoner: raidou Kuzunoha v.s the Soulless Army)

Would anyone consider Darkstalkers goth?

I mean it's basically Street Fighter with a vampire, succubus, werewolf, frankenstein's monster, zombie etc etc.