Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Black Gestalt

So, I found this shoe on the ground...

And it's made of very nice leather, so I'm gonna cut it up and make something out of it. Any ideas?

I'm a guy, by the way, in case that means anything. I am thinking a studded braclet. Gotta get studs though.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
Black Gestalt

I just looked at this topic and realized it sounded crazy.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Raven SilverWolf

lol well its an interesting post.but the bracelet sounds good.or a choker...if you have a small neck...
Raven SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
NoneSuch

Chokers are always good though I dont usually wear mine .. they can be kinda uncomfortable and annoying if you wear leather coats or anything with a high neck but thats just me .
NoneSuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
Black Gestalt

I'm not sure that theres enough leather for a choker. I have a kinda medium neck for a guy I guess.

Whats a good leather polish? It's kinda red leather, but it looks smooth, so I think it would polish up.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
NoneSuch

Well shoe polish works for my leather boots obviously.. but I'm not sure what would be best for that .. never needed to polish anything like that
Old 09-16-2005, 08:02 PM   #7
Black Gestalt

Well, I got it all cut, and I have the snaps and a puncher, but no studs yet. Tomorrow I venture to chinatown were I was recomended a leather store that is both cheap and ungodly good. Studs for a couple cents a peice.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
winged_dreams

I think that's a very nifty idea. You should post a picture once you have it finished.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
NoneSuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged_dreams
I think that's a very nifty idea. You should post a picture once you have it finished.

Agreed, love it when poeple actually make there own stuff .
Old 09-18-2005, 11:01 AM   #10
winged_dreams

Yeah, whenever I get a sewing machine and get around to making stuff, I'll be showing it off as fast as I can make it. XD

Old 09-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #11
Black Gestalt

Well, I got all the spikes and studs yesterday. I'm actually gonna make two, one wide and studded, the other thin and spiked. The spiked one is going to be made from the almost black leather that was on the inside of the shoe.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:03 PM   #12
Jane13

That's really creative! ^.^ Way to recycle the leather... that stuff can be expensive and you have to kill an animal to make it, so I like your idea a lot.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:13 PM   #13
Black Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
That's really creative! ^.^ Way to recycle the leather... that stuff can be expensive and you have to kill an animal to make it, so I like your idea a lot.
Thats the thing. I love the look of leather, but, although I'm not a huge animal rights activist or anything, I find it very wrong to kill just for the animals skin. I think in general I prefer to buy used leather (or find it, in this case), for that reason.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #14
(-$|N-)

Quote:
Thats the thing. I love the look of leather, but, although I'm not a huge animal rights activist or anything, I find it very wrong to kill just for the animals skin. I think in general I prefer to buy used leather (or find it, in this case), for that reason.
Although most cows leather comes from cows which are being machanically sperated for food reasons, so its no like what they do to other animals like gators or sharks or smaller critters. I however do enjoy your resourcefulness, environmentalism, and creativity.
(-$|N-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:39 PM   #15
Black Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-$|N-)
Although most cows leather comes from cows which are being machanically sperated for food reasons, so its no like what they do to other animals like gators or sharks or smaller critters. I however do enjoy your resourcefulness, environmentalism, and creativity.
True, I wasn't really thinking about cows, but yeah, most leather is from them I guess. Oh well, save the cows.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #16
(-$|N-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gestalt
True, I wasn't really thinking about cows, but yeah, most leather is from them I guess. Oh well, save the cows.
Its not really the cows that need saving its the way that the corperations keep the cows thats the problem, I mean I have no problem enjoying the meat the give I just agree with alot of the vegitarians I talk with on the point that the corperate farms are the wrong way for people to get beef. I mean if the cow had a decent life and then were taken out and killed for people to consume.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:06 PM   #17
angleangel_doom

That sounds good. Or, if you had access to a blow torch you could make a very nice studded cross, if you know or can picture what I am saying or trying to perceive. Damn, i'm hard to follow.
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #18
Black Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by angleangel_doom
That sounds good. Or, if you had access to a blow torch you could make a very nice studded cross, if you know or can picture what I am saying or trying to perceive. Damn, i'm hard to follow.
That would be cool if I wasn't athiest. I'm already doing it just by cutting though.

I'm actually gonna take it to a shoe repair place to get it stiched up, because my sewing machine isn't strong enough to go through thick leather.

Hopefully tomorrow or something I can do that and start on the studding.

Oh, I need an idea for how to tie off the ends. Right now their just cut. Hmm. Maybe I'll figure that our before I go to the shoe place so that they can do that too.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #19
(-$|N-)

If you want to stick with the spike theam, you could metal clad the edges into points.
If you want to just make it comfortable, you could treat the edges with something like sealer (normally used on the edges on the belt).
Old 09-20-2005, 09:57 PM   #20
Black Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-$|N-)
If you want to stick with the spike theam, you could metal clad the edges into points.
If you want to just make it comfortable, you could treat the edges with something like sealer (normally used on the edges on the belt).
That sounds fucking cool, but also kinda painful. I'm looking for this sealer stuff on the web. I can probably get it at the same place I got the spikes.

I was thinking of maybe cutting thin strips and folding them over the edges, and then maybe I can use this sealer stuff on the cut ends of those.

Whats kind of annoying me is that the leather stretches a bit, so it's hard to cut just perfect, it looks a little rounded. On well. Should look find in the end.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:00 PM   #21
(-$|N-)

Well if you talk with your hands alot then it will teach you not too. It really would not hurt much if done properly and it does have some interesting results.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:03 PM   #22
angleangel_doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gestalt
That would be cool if I wasn't athiest. I'm already doing it just by cutting though.

I'm actually gonna take it to a shoe repair place to get it stiched up, because my sewing machine isn't strong enough to go through thick leather.

Hopefully tomorrow or something I can do that and start on the studding.

Oh, I need an idea for how to tie off the ends. Right now their just cut. Hmm. Maybe I'll figure that our before I go to the shoe place so that they can do that too.
Okay, i'm...not getting the athiest thing and how that ties into this but...to tie off the end of leather thats what people usually do, they burn the ends, or you could simply sew them if you like bleeding...because leather, if you haven't noticed, is hard to sew sometimes.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:36 PM   #23
winged_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by angleangel_doom
Okay, i'm...not getting the athiest thing and how that ties into this but...to tie off the end of leather thats what people usually do, they burn the ends, or you could simply sew them if you like bleeding...because leather, if you haven't noticed, is hard to sew sometimes.
With the cross thing, that's a religious symbol and he's an atheist, not a Christian. I wouldn't wear a pentagram or a pentacle since I'm not affilated with Wicca/Pagan or Satanism (jumping at straws here people).

Old 09-24-2005, 04:09 AM   #24
eric_the_girl

indeed it would be hypocritical to portray a religion one did not have... (also grasping at straws)

sounds cool though... post pics up afterwards please
eric_the_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #25
angleangel_doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged_dreams
With the cross thing, that's a religious symbol and he's an atheist, not a Christian. I wouldn't wear a pentagram or a pentacle since I'm not affilated with Wicca/Pagan or Satanism (jumping at straws here people).
Oh, I thought he typed that he wasn't athiest, but don't get me started. Its just that sometimes athiests get on my nerves with THEIR preaching about no God gets just as or worse than how annoying the Catholic/Christian preachers are...
but i'm not judging, just giving opinions here people. *slips out casually*