Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #51
TheFeatheredÆtheling

I must admit that I don't fully understand "goth culture/counter-culture", though it's always intrigued me. I am, however, under the impression that rebellion ~ either actual or perceived ~ is a key element that most goths share. If so, I wonder: are goths rebelling against tradition or convention?

Or, perhaps, is goth culture not idealistic at all ~ being simply an amalgamation of a specific set of romantic/dark aesthetics?

Please enlighten me...
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #52
Angelic Dissonance

GNet is like a bunch of debate team members in a basement, with a bunch of people coming in and waiting for something to argue about, and those not directly involved in the immediate arguement, telling the OP why they are wrong, tell them instead that they are hopelessly stupid. Not with support, or anything.... just for LOL's.

If we didn't come here to discuss the bullshit about the culture, WHY THE HELL DID WE COME HERE!?!?!?

To question, to make statements, and then be told how wrong we are, and then after that, how stupid.

At least we are occasionally exposed to some new light, a fresh way of seeing things, or a different angle. Too bad it's generally on meaningless shit, but if we all had lives instead of free time, we wouldn't be here, would we?

Anyways, it's not ALWAYS hopelessly boring.... and at least it re-enforces the notion I have that EVERYBODY is WRONG, about EVERYTHING, ALL OF THE TIME. That's Absurdism for you, though..... there never really was much meaning in the first place, except for the fact that there wasn't itself...

did i heerz sommeone say i wany=tz whats he is smokinigz....?
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #53
TheFeatheredÆtheling

...Dizzying... Perhaps, I'll understand more completely after being here for a while.

The urge to debate simply for the sake of proving someone else to be wrong seems pointless to me ~ especially on the internet, where debating is not really going to change anything anyway. Cruelly belittling someone surely isn't going to convince him to join your side; it's more likely to make a worse adversary of him. Anyone with any sense understands this; thus, it raises the question: why do people indulge in it so fervently? Vanity.
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #54
Alan

Don't listen to that guy.
It's not "without support" to call him fucking stupid when he believes he's oh-so-hardcore for pissing on Twilight as if anyone gave a shit about it in the first place.
There's also legitimate reason to mock someone who calls themselves 'sensitive' and 'artistic' out of the blue. As I said, that is just shouting to the world that his testicles haven't dropped yet.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #55
Angelic Dissonance

Hey, I don't think I'm hardcore just because Twilight sucks. It just does, and I stated my reasons. As for 'out of the blue' with the 'sensitive and artistic' thing, I wasn't aware I needed proof--not for people on some internet forum whom I'll never interact with in the outside world. I also didn't think this was about that--and I would post any number of the comics I've illustrated and written, or the poetry[not even poetry of the ordinary obnoxious whining type, though perhaps not exacty Humanist either], or any of the art that I enjoy doing at all--but I don't have a camera, or a scanner. I'm not just 'artistic', I am an artist, and maybe not better than everybody, but not bad. As for 'sensitive'--come on man, really? I'm not trying. Sensitivity is what sensitivity does. So what? How does that appropriate mockery? I didn't say I Mao Zhedong was my political role model or something, I didn't say "I have fantasies of being a twelve-year old girl" although I'm an eighteen-year old male. I'm not even insulted, I'm just confused. Why try to put everything down that you can about a guy you don't know, and whom it will be a miracle if you ever meet? Is it just "Why not" or what?

And, haven't I only tried to say that people don't usually give a shit?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #56
Angelic Dissonance

Once again, 7 minutes later.....
Yes, you are right, AEtheling, it is vanity. People with too much free time on their hands fill the small emptiness of that time with self-gratification. Have you considered those people who make the "Are You a Genious" quizzes? They feel intense gratification, making a quiz that makes them feel so much smarter than the average "dumbass" on MySpace. Same here--it feels good to say, "You're wrong".

I'm aware I've been whining, mostly in the above post. But don't I have a right to? So what, man?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #57
ape descendant

*By the unholy powers and nameless horrors that be, I command thee to leave thy sleep and return to the realms of the living to do my bidding!!!*

Any one else ever notice their "goth-dar"? The ability to sniff one of our kind out despite the fact that they don't even remotely look it? I'm trying to figure out what it is that makes that work... what little queues people send out, that we pick up on.

I certainly understand what confirms it... upon conversation about art, music and literature... one's interest in the macabre or some sort of thing like that... however... beforehand.. there's some sort of inkling.

Something makes the members of our tribe unique and distinguishable from those of others.... what is it?

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #58
Razeal18

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
*Any one else ever notice their "goth-dar"? The ability to sniff one of our kind out despite the fact that they don't even remotely look it?Something makes the members of our tribe unique and distinguishable from those of others.... what is it?
The faint scent of frankincense? the despondant look about the facial region? Could it be any number of suspicina od sexual or idealistic deviance? I like to think its more of a quiet observation of others. As if all in the tribe enjoy watching others. Like out of buffy or highlander. As pentance for sacking rome the center of civilization and history at the time, we are ever doomed to be its watchers. Just a bit of poetic thought process.
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #59
gothicusmaximus

Those last two posts made me consider what I've never considered before: just leaving this forum and never coming back.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #60
JCC

Sisters of Mercy fans: people don't like them because of the sacking of Rome.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #61
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeal18 View Post
The faint scent of frankincense? the despondant look about the facial region? Could it be any number of suspicina od sexual or idealistic deviance? I like to think its more of a quiet observation of others. As if all in the tribe enjoy watching others. Like out of buffy or highlander. As pentance for sacking rome the center of civilization and history at the time, we are ever doomed to be its watchers. Just a bit of poetic thought process.
It must be that bit of deviance, perhaps a hint of irrelevant contradiction and that neato lightening stuff.

There can be only one!!

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #62
TrivialMorose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Its like recognizing a relative that one hadn't met yet.

I think its some sort of weird tribal Identity thing.
From this statement let no man neither add nor subtract, for 'tis the word of Goth!

Hallelujah, hare, hare!
TrivialMorose is offline   Reply With Quote