Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #1
(-$|N-)

Card Games

Im a former MTG player, I just quit like year due to lack of people in my area with a orinized play area. Was just wondering if I was the only one or are there different card games that are worth getting into?
(-$|N-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Which_ones_Pink?

I love TCG's, they're great! I used to play Magic, but I lost my cards when I moved, so I gave up on that. I've played Pokemon, Battletech and Yu Gi Oh, which is actually quite good. Plus you get to shout a lot "BLUE EYES SWIRLY TURTLE IN ATTACK MODE!" Great fun!
Which_ones_Pink? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
nonfatsuperjesus

What's orinized? Anyway my High School banned magic because if you play magic then that means you worship the devil....
Damn midwest schools. They also banned raver pants and anything that could be what they consider goth or rave.
nonfatsuperjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
Kettu

I just back into magic. kamigawa kicked ass...

as of now, the best card game on the market is till poker. Or maybe blackjack
Kettu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
Ben Lahnger

The game that inspired MTG:Cosmic Encounters

I played MTG in the past, but I've become burned out on collectable games in general. The whole concept that you have to keep buying components to be competitive just chaps me.

Plus I played Cosmic Encounter for years before I played Magic (Cosmic is the game that inspired the creation of MTG) and I never thought MTG reached the level of fun and originality that Cosmic did. I've been shopping on ebay again to purchase Cosmic Encounter or Simply Cosmic (steer away from the Avalon Hill or Hasbro produced versions) and I don't ever see me buying MTG again ... just a personal choice.

BTW, you can play Cosmic Encounter Online for free:

http://www.cosmicencounter.com

I'd encourage you to try it out ... it's big fun.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick

Last edited by Ben Lahnger; 12-07-2005 at 08:30 AM. Reason: typo
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:32 AM   #6
Ben Lahnger

A most unusual card game: ... F*ck This!

This looks like fun!

------------------

F*ck This!

The rudest sort of card game you've ever played. Players get points by creating and completing more profane, obscene, blasphemous or scatalogical phrases than the other players, using a vast array of obscenties, profanity and bodily functions available.

This game has no redeeming features, will corrupt our youth, and contribute to the decline and fall of Western civilization. But it's still gut-bustingly funny.

You're going to hell anyway, so you might as well have a few laughs on the way . . .

http://www.hyperbooks.com/catalog/20105.html

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #7
Onikage

I hate card games!I lost so much money on them
but nothing usefull from them,and I lose them or they get stolen!
I will never ever buy any card games in my life!
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
(-$|N-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I like to play cribbage... Does that count?
Even though this is from before, Sure it counts. And to correct my original post it was meant to be organized however I am a moron and cant type.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:45 AM   #9
pitseleh

I must be one of the shittiest card-players on Earth.

Every time I play even the simplest game, I have to have the rules explained to me over and over. Gets pretty frustrating for the other person(s), and I always fuck up and lose.

I hate cards.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:09 AM   #10
pitseleh

Hahaha, oh please do! I'd be in my undies before you could even shuffle the deck...

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #11
Vorsuc

How about combining the love of cards with....

the universal and undying love of pirates?

Pirates

Really simple and great little strategy game, which inspires advanced naval tactics and more than a handful of really dodgy pirate accents (arrrgh, mi hearties, ready the cannons, lets blow that scurvy dawg to davey jones' locker). The boats also look pretty displayed, I've got a nice fleet of some 50+ ships (mainly British, of course).

Failing that... taking the topic further and going for some cool card games...

Totally renamed spy game : Originally "before I kill you Mr. Bond..." but changed due to a cease and desist, it is a rather fun and simple game where you play an evil villain building his/her evil lair. You send out spies and bombs to blow up the lairs but the spies can be captured and when they are you have a choice. Execute them right away for minimal points OR taunt them, tell them your dastardly plans for world domination, throw them in that tank of sharks or introduce them to your lovely (and promiscuous) assistant. If they fail to escape, you earn double points and can taunt again. However, should the spy escape your elaborate death trap, they'll blow up your lair on the way out.

Gloom : Picked this up recently, nice transparent plastic cards. You have a family which you must inflict all manner of misery on (the more miserable and unfortunate their life, the more points they are worth) before killing them off to secure the points.
Vorsuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
(-$|N-)

Interesting concept on these games, do you happen to have a website with them so that we could get a little more information on them?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #13
(-$|N-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Actually, if you click on the first words in the paragraph, they're links.

I assume you meant Vorsuc's post?
Yup, I just figured they were bolded. Interesting...
Old 03-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #14
Prof_Moriarty

Apples to Apples is an awesome party game. Meaning it's easy to learn and play, even when you're positively smashed.

As far as regular card games go...I'm partial to Hearts, myself.
Prof_Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #15
maggot

My 2 favorites are Texas Hold 'Em and Bullshit in that order.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #16
Nike

I know, it's an old thread, I hope you don't mind me too much bumping it....

I've just recently rediscovered MTG. I used to play with my brother years ago, but I've never bought any cards myself til about a months ago. I knew that some artists I'm very fond of did designs for some cards, so I bought a few boosters in a fantasy shop in Athens and hoped to get some of those I wanted. I was successful. But then, in the shop, I started to play it, and I liked the system of the game a lot, so I bought some more cards some weeks later.
When I feel tired and exhausted of work, I go to that little shop, have a coffee with the guys and play some Magic. Much better and cheaper than going for a coffee or a drink somewhere else in Athens and much more fun.

Basically, now I'm not buying more cards, but trading those I don't need for my 2 decks or those with artwork I don't like.

All other (card) games I play are not collectable. I like games. A lot
Old 05-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #17
shattered_likeness

I still play MTG when I have the chance, which is rare. I prefer sticking to the occasional Type 1 Tournament I hear about. That way, the cards I already have still remain useful.
shattered_likeness is offline   Reply With Quote