Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #26
Sinjob

I started off with Nine Inch Nails around the With Teeth tour (a band I still really admire), then moved onto the Cure. The rest branching-off gets pretty obvious.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #27
Xombie

Metal - Slipknot and Cradle of Filth. Har har. Oh, sixth grade.
Goth - Bauhaus and the Cure.
Jazz - Medeski, Martin and Wood
Punk - Dead Kennedys

You know, the basics.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #28
Vigormortis

Oh man I was a snot nosed little Mansonite in my teenage years. From there to NIN, Ministry, Bile, My Life WTTKK, Gravity Kills, Stabbing Westward. Enter Cradle of Filth and hello black metal, then I started dating a girl (I was 16 I think) who got me into Switchblade Symphony, Mephisto Walz, Sisters of Mercy ect ect. I got into some electronic during the drug fueled late teens and early twenties, and came out the other side of that haze with quite a musical portfolio rolling around in my head. To be honest, it hasn't changed a whole lot in the years since. I guess that's what getting old is all about.
Vigormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #29
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
It was Marilyn Manson's autobiography, ironically.. he mentions Jeordie wearing a Bauhaus shirt, and so I started listening to Bauhaus.
That's not at all ironic.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #30
Ebbhead

No idea how I got into metal, but metal is how I got into industrial: a Neubauten album had been lazily dumped in my local HMV's metal section. I bought it when I was 15 as I was studying German at the time and was becoming obsessed with the sound of the language. From there I got into all the other industrial-related stuff, including EBM, which some years later lead me to enquire about EBM clubs. Which obviously don't exist, so I accidentally discovered goth in the process.

I think that's how it happened anyway. Oh, and I still download stuff I found in my dad's record collection as a kid. Elvis Costello ftw.
Ebbhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #31
Stormtrooper of Death

To add:

When I first got Napalm Death's "Scum" on cassette I fell in love with it. From then on I love classic 80's UK grind. But now I like Carcass more than Napalm, but meh, still good stuff.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #32
Madarame

Basically I'd read about goth rock on the internet, for reasons I can no longer remember, but being the days of 56k modems and no youtube I didn't really have a chance to hear any. Not long after this however I was at a carboot sale and found two Bauhaus CDs (mask and a compilation of some sort of 'best of' album), they were only about £2 each or something and I thought why not?
It was easily the best music I'd heard up to that point.
Madarame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:12 AM   #33
Anima_Severem

For goth music in general it's gotta be that Cry Little Sister song from the Lost Boys soundtrack.

And I've never even seen The Lost Boys. I just looked up some titles on my P2P.

I also like to look up lyrics. It's how I got into Sentenced.
Anima_Severem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #34
dabbadmc

For goth rock/deathrock, the first song I heard was Spiritual Cramp by Christian Death, which I thought was great. When I joined Gnet, I just looked around the music forum to find other good bands and the staples too.

For punk rock, my friend lent me Bad Brains' self titled album and I fucking loved it, and I borrowed more albums from him and from other friends too, the first few being Rock for Light, some Black Flag and Amebix albums.

Finally, for irish traditional music, my mum got me tin whistle lessons when I was about six. Then I took up fiddle, flute and harp soon in the years afterwards, and now I'm devoted. =]
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #35
Apathy's_Child

I went the long way round - good non-mainstream stuff was harder to find before the days of easy internet access. Started out around the age of 12 listening to The Ramones, Rancid, Green Day, Sublime, The Clash, Nirvana, Guns 'n' Roses - mostly stolen from my older brothers. Got into jazz when I was fourteen or so courtesy of the Beats kick I was on at the time, and I started listening to Tom Waits and Hendrix around the same time. I was listening to a lot of Rolling Stones, Billy Bragg, The Jam and The Buzzcocks. I got into soul when I was about sixteen (James Brown is still the shit), and from there it was onto blues and folk. The first blues record I ever owned was a Leadbelly best of. Moved more into punk around the age of sixteen - Stiff Little Fingers, Dead Kennedys, The Exploited, New York Dolls, that kind of stuff. Bob Dylan wasn't far behind. A little while later I discovered Frank Zappa and the mothers of Invention, came to Captain Beefheart through them. Ween were a total accident - I picked up GodWeenSatan in a second-hand record store because the cover was... eye-catching, and after seeing some of the song titles I had to check it out.

I love authors who talk about music in their work, since that's where I got a lot of music ideas when I was young and didn't know where to go for recommendations. I've already mentioned coming to jazz through the Beats, and reading Bukowski gave me my first push into classical. Though this approach meant I also tried Genesis after reading American Psycho, for which I have yet to forgive Brett Easton Ellis.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #36
stolide

I used to only listen to classical music when I was a young child. I decided to listen to something extremely different one day. For awhile I listened only to metal. Again, I decided to listen to something very different. Now I listen to primarily gothic rock, but also a fair amount of classical. I've really taken a liking to Orf lately...

So, my choice of music has been pretty arbitrary. I just picked something that sounded very different and mildly interesting at the time. The first gothic rock song I heard was something by bauhaus or sisters of mercy, I don't remember which.
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #37
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbadmc View Post
Finally, for irish traditional music, my mum got me tin whistle lessons when I was about six. Then I took up fiddle, flute and harp soon in the years afterwards, and now I'm devoted. =]
Awesome. I'm jealous! :P

I might be getting a bodhran as a birthday present to myself.. I'm pretty excited.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #38
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbadmc View Post
My girlfriend bought me a tin whistle a few weeks ago - I'm still attempting to sound other than lame. I'm determined to master it though, I'm so sick of getting drunk and playing guitar or bass during get-togethers and can't wait until I can piss all over my punk-obsessed buddies with a jaunty tune. They'll learn to love it. ;]

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #39
Fae-wolf

CKY got me into rock.

Then after I heard Black Sabbath's War Pigs.....I completely fell in love and I wanted to learn more.

My best friend is teaching me about industrial music
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #40
Godslayer Jillian

Now I listen pretty much only political music and jazz.
My father has always been a jazz buff and tried to learn the alto. It was only this year that I decided to try the alto myself, and my knowledge of jazz has broadened exponentially.
The Clash got me into political music thanks to a Marxist teacher. She's fucking awesome.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #41
Jack again

When I was 10 - 11ish, I mostly listened to things like Led Zeppelin, T.Rex and Geordie, stuff my parents had lying around. Then I got into the Dead Kennedys and the Exploited. Had a brief stint listening to lots of Metal. Moved on to Joy Division, The Cure, The Sisters, The March Violets, then started listening to Cinema Strange, the Virgin Prunes, Alien Sex Fiend, Rudimentary Peni, T.S.O.L . Right now I'm listening to Immortal Technique, followed by some Non Phixion.
Jack again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #42
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
That's not at all ironic.
Well, irony is the difference between the expected outcome of an event and the actual outcome of an event. Since, in this case, the expected outcome of reading Marilyn Manson's autobiography is listening to more Marilyn Manson due to a new appreciation of him or what have you, it would be irony that the outcome of reading Marilyn Manson's biography is listening to a band that has almost nothing to do with Marilyn Manson.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:57 AM   #43
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack again View Post
Right now I'm listening to Immortal Technique
He's such a dick, but I still like him.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:05 AM   #44
Jack again

He is quite an obnoxious little mug, but for some weird reason I like his music.
Jack again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #45
Malice In Wonderland

I'm in love with Immortal Technique's music.
I like Latino Rap a fair bit.
Although his ego is way oversized.
Like, Kanye West oversized.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #46
IBreatheJoeyJordison

In the fourth grade I was obsessed with Good Charlotte.
I started getting into all the "goth" stuff.
I always got my makeup idea from Benji Madden. ^^
As I started getting older I got into more heavy stuff.
Slipknot, BFMV, BMTH, Lamb Of God...
IBreatheJoeyJordison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #47
Shoogle

I also took some strange, long road to wind up here. I started out as a Mansonite as well. I had no idea where I was going with that phase, considering I can't stand Manson's music AT ALL now. I got into The Cure after I saw a clip of "Just Like Heaven" on TV once. A few years later we started picking up VH1 Classic, and they had an entire Sunday morning block dedicated to strange music at the time and I was lucky enough to catch a few post-punk videos. Next it was gothic rock, then darkwave, now deathrock and some industrial here and there...
Shoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #48
Komakino

I got into the Goth Rock, Post-Punk music when I first listened to Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" haha!
Komakino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #49
Ebbhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBreatheJoeyJordison View Post
In the fourth grade I was obsessed with Good Charlotte.
I started getting into all the "goth" stuff.
I always got my makeup idea from Benji Madden. ^^
As I started getting older I got into more heavy stuff.
Slipknot, BFMV, BMTH, Lamb Of God...
Troll sense is tingling...

Though speaking of metal, a friend of mine who listens to virtually nothing else (not your Kerrang! tripe, mark you, we're talking proper extreme shit like Anaal Nathrakh or Cryptopsy) somehow introduced me to the dubious pleasures of 90s techno and rave. What started out as a little bit of a Shamen appreciation has now turned into a fully-blown obsession with 808 State, LA Style, 2Unlimited, Eskimos & Egypt, Juno Reactor, Messiah, Human Resource, The Future Sound Of London and pretty much everything on the Techno Trax compilations.

Whoa, I namedropped a whole lotta bands in this post. What a twat.
Ebbhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #50
Pineapple_Juice

Meh. NO idea.
Well, okay, let me break it down. My parents both love things like Led Zep, Metallica, Suicidal Tendencies, Megadeth, and stuff like Scorpions, Rush, Tesla, and the like. My granny loves Oldies. I was brought up with a mix of these things.
When I was a little kid I went through a boy band phase that could possibly have been the result of my parents thinking boy bands were shit and me wanting to be a little rebel. Then I started listening to stuff like Sublime, No Doubt (in the Tragic Kingdom days), the Cure, Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode-popular shit, but at least not boy bands.

Depeche Mode and NIN got me into some EMB stuff like Combichrist, Skinny Puppy, Funker Vogt, Wumpscut, etc.

The Cure led to The Smiths/Morrissey, RP, Specimen, Nosferatu, Killing Joke, etc.

No Doubt and Sublime led to stuff like The Specials, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Reel Big Fish, Big D, etc.

And I don't know dick about punk. I also had a phase that lasted like a year where I was into weird symphonic metal shit but we don't talk about that.