Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Breathless Horror

Anti-Flag

I just saw these guys in concert, and I have to say they kick some serious ass. Some really good anti-Bush, anti-war, yet pro friendship and community punk.

If you know them, please share your opinions, if not, I would seriously suggest checking out the songs "Die For The Government", "1 Trillion Dollar$", and "Turncoat"

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Hopeless_Joe

i've seen them quite a few times over the years. not a real big fan of 'em. for some people that are so anti-capitalism, they sure signed a major label deal fast, once the saw the jaguars that the guys in AFI (who they share(d) practice spot with) were driving.
Hopeless_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless_Joe
i've seen them quite a few times over the years. not a real big fan of 'em. for some people that are so anti-capitalism, they sure signed a major label deal fast, once the saw the jaguars that the guys in AFI (who they share(d) practice spot with) were driving.
I never really got an anti-capitalist vibe from them, but that could have been me. I just got a "George Bush is an asshole" and "stop the war" message from them. And if you're not a fan, why would you go see them several times?

Old 12-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Hopeless_Joe

the first time i saw them, was back in '97. they were opening up for UK Subs.

the 2nd & 3rd times i saw them was at warped tour.

then i saw them with rise against & against me.
Hopeless_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
gothicusmaximus

I'm not really a fan... their sound is a little too pedestrian, generic, and deficient in innovation for my tastes.

Yeah, I feel 'Anti-Flag' is a somewhat innappropriate name for the group. As of late, they don't really seem to hate the state as a whole at all- just republicans.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Yeah, I feel 'Anti-Flag' is a somewhat innappropriate name for the group. As of late, they don't really seem to hate the state as a whole at all- just republicans.
True enough. I still enjoyed thier show though, as I'm not particularly fond of ol' G.W. Bush, and there was far from a shortage of anti-Bush sentiment floating around.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
Stormtrooper of Death

I really don't like them. They sold out to a big label and I don't people who sell out. There are far better bands I'd rather listen that are real punk.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
Luthian

I have something signed by the singer and guitarist of Anti-Flag. That is my extent of knowing the band.

At warped tour a million years ago, I saw them along with several other punk bands. Honestly, I couldn't tell them apart. This was during the reign of Ska, so most of the music was terrible.

Watching skaters attempt to break their face on the half pipe was the highlight of the entire festival.
Luthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:29 AM   #9
Post Modern Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthian

Watching skaters attempt to break their face on the half pipe was the highlight of the entire festival.
I think that has to be the highlight of ANY festival

Anti-flag seem so tanked up about the war, really enraged, but do you think it actually effects them? I know they're speaking out on behalf of the nation, but isn't punk about expressing you're own views, from times and troubles that have effected you in some way, in order to provide a better, more definded commentary on it?

Bands like Stiff Little Fingers.
Post Modern Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
Stormtrooper of Death

SLF, now thats a real punk band. Gotta love "Suspect Device". Now I gotta listen to it! Frankly, I think ska sucks. I think it really does.