Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #676
MohawkMidgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Eccentric Cellist
You know, Mohawk, people will just respond better to proper English. And you must be smart enough that they haven't removed your liver yet so show it at first glance. Also it makes you think more, if you don't want to think dahlin' go take a nap.

Excuse me, I have to go make sure nothing gets electrocuted.

Oh yeah, Jilli, check your email.
Fine, I give up. I'll speak well.
MohawkMidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #677
An Eccentric Cellist

Thank you.
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #678
MohawkMidgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohawkMidgit
Fine, I give up. I'll speak well.
sorry, TYPE well.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #679
Dante_Caligari

I am against Hot Topic. I argued this long and hard with a Goth that I knew from another message board. I was on the side saying "Hot Topic is OK as long as the people that shop there are happy with who they are and what they are doing."

I laugh at that.

See, I believe this is the very reason that the world is so bad as it is now.
These little middle-school kids go into Hot Topic thinking that the clothing, the music, and the atmosphere portrayed and sold there is indeed Gothic. However, as we all know, most, if not all, of that is not even remotely Goth. Thus, we have immature, unintelligent middle-school kids running around that believe that who and what they are is Goth. They advertise that and soon everyone believes that it Goth. This is one of the reasons that we are so widely misunderstood - this figurative **** of the Gothic culture by the teenage minions of Hot Topic.

Now I argued, as I said before, "who cares, if they are happy?"
Well, one might ask himself/herself "is emotional security better than dignity and intelligence?" This is one of the larger problems of our world. A large part of the world is more focused on fulfilling desires, following impulses, and listening to emotions rather than logic and though. People don't think anymore, and that is one of the reasons that the world is in the sorry state that it is in.

Hot Topic is not about individuallity. It is about conformity. I have been there. I know the thoughts of these kids; "if I just buy this, and get this cd, and look like this, then everyone will think that I am Goth." So, in reallity, it could be said that what Hot Topic portrays is in fact the opposite of Goth. It is not about individuallity, it is about conformity. Another corporate cog in the ever turning gears of the world.
Dante_Caligari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #680
Godslayer Jillian

Spoken like a true "non-conformist". Sanctus, remember the post I wrote in here that had nothing to do with Somber Illusions? It was intended for when people spoke like this Dante guy.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #681
Dante_Caligari

Bah! You flatter me.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:18 PM   #682
Godslayer Jillian

You can hate the buyers, but don't hate a store.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #683
Dante_Caligari

I think that I can hate both. I am not going to stand behind someone that is "just trying to make money" and partially responsible. Perhaps I have minconstrued your intended meaning...?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #684
Godslayer Jillian

What I mean is that the bases you gave us for hating the store actually only speak about the buyers.
People should only see Hot Topic as just another store (although with really crappy clothes, by the way).

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 06-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #685
Dante_Caligari

I would agree with that. If people did not think that it was THE place for Gothic clothing, then yeah, I don't think that I would have a problem with it. I see what you were getting at now....

VERY overpriced clothing I might add. I saw a pair of ripped stockings there for 15$ and I saw the same ones that were not ripped online for 9$ What, did it cost 6$ to rip them?! Absurd.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:49 PM   #686
Godslayer Jillian

Yea... I'm wearing a pair of Hot Topic pants my dad bought for me; it's nice because he was trying to demonstrate he's ok with my style (obviously he has yet to figure what my style is).
Anyway, as much as I love the meaning behind the pants, they're already tearing up and I've sown them twice already.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 06-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #687
Ash60988

I think that hot topic has some really good stuff i love hot topic that is my favorite store and the also get new stuff in so i think that's really cool.
Ash60988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #688
MohawkMidgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash60988
I think that hot topic has some really good stuff i love hot topic that is my favorite store and the also get new stuff in so i think that's really cool.
If you read the last few posts, you'd know they're really going to bust you for that.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 PM   #689
Malady

hmm. . .Well I think Hot Topics okay, as long as it isn't the only place you shop, and you don't go crazy. . .or, instead of paying for the really expensive stuff they sell, check the clearance rack or go to Buffalo Exchange or Redlight, becuase they have stuff that is less likely to fall apart quickly, and dosn't cost as much, even if they are mainly thrift. And their clothes aren't so mainstream.
Malady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:14 AM   #690
Immortal_Death

Of course Hottopic is okay. But you gotta pick the right stuff there...
Old 06-23-2006, 05:02 AM   #691
spookypurple

How about Black Rose? How does that compare? Or Fairy Gothmother?

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #692
MohawkMidgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
never been to either, are they real? If so where do you see them?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #693
Lady Victoria Pareesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
Well, you have quite a big choice with Black Rose, but it's quite expansive actually. Same for Fairy Godmother (but the clothes are so gorgeous!!!)
There's a shop online called Drac-in-a-box who is quite good (sorry lost the link) and a bit cheaper anyway.

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
Terry Pratchett
Lady Victoria Pareesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #694
LittleMissTaxidermy

Drac in a Box has some very, very lovely clothes. I like the layout, too. I never bought anything from them, but I heard they take a really long time to ship.
Shadow Fae (http://www.shadowfae.com/) is one of my favorite online clothes stores. I think the site is down, though.
Some things from Hot Topic are okay. A lot of it looks so... pre-packaged.
LittleMissTaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:47 AM   #695
spookypurple

Black Rose is also online - though I find their website a bit of a warren!

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:14 AM   #696
Lady Victoria Pareesis

It is, isnt'it? (actually I don't have a clue about what "warren" means, but let's agree, I'm in a good mood)

Fary Godmother has a shop online too, and the Petticoats are just gaaaaaah *drool*

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
Terry Pratchett
Lady Victoria Pareesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #697
malicexlacedxdreams

I basically shop at HotTopic for some Tim Burton doo-dads and a couple of shirts that I happen to really like that are on clearance. I've found better TB collectibles in other places for less such as my Edward Scissorhands figurine that I bought at Animation for 17 bucks, which at HT might have been around $25-30. I also found a set of TNBC figures and card deck for a total of $14 at a local Disney store. I dont hate HotTopic or love it, its just another place to find Tim Burton stuff, with an occasional shirt every once in a while.
malicexlacedxdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:46 AM   #698
TorturedAngel66

i like Hot Topic, but i have had stuff fall apart that i got from there and they are pretty expensive. There are some cool things on clearance, but you're less likely to find the right size because it has all been picked through i guess you could say.
TorturedAngel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #699
TorturedAngel66

Hey anyone know of a good place similar to Hot Topic in the Camp Hill area of PA that has good quality and prices?
TorturedAngel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #700
Haunted House

Theres a nice little system that goes on at Hot Topic that I like. They sometimes get good Goth band merchandise in, but the kiddies who frequent the store only go in looking for emo,metal,Marylin Manson crap so the Goth band mechandise goes on clearence within a week and I can get it for cheap. I got a nice Bauhaus t-shirt this way.