Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #101
Minyaliel

I'm pro- abortion, mainly because I know how it feels to grow up as an unwanted child. No need to say more.
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #102
WolfMoon

Hmmmmm, poor you.

Why don't you whine about it?
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #103
Virulent Dryad

I know the feeling too, but that's not a reason to be pro-abortion. That's just...weird.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:05 PM   #104
Kinflame

Location: FGBWIERville, MKBJJKaryland, Unintelligent Shithole of America.
Yeah, that's sounds like wishing you were dead so you didn't have to suffer life unwanted.
Kinflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #105
Virulent Dryad

Likely because that is what she is trying to say. Anyway it doesn't matter, being "unwanted" is not the worst thing in the world.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Old 05-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #106
Vampeilla

Abortion

One day while driving down the highway with my 60 year old mom by my side, we passed a bunch of picketers, calling for the freedom to have abortions.. Now my mother, religious, and the mother of nine rolls down the window and yells, Your mother should of had an abortion"

I was shocked, why would she, who is against abortion, tell someone that.

She explained, then the person would not be out there advocating death.

I love my mom dearly and to me she summed everything up with her explanation.

i realize times have changed, women have evolved, I refuse to change with the times. To me abortion is wrong, but I will no take a woman's choice away from her. I know gals who have had abortions, I do not like them any less for it, I just say a prayer for the one taken away, a prayer they live again, in this world or the next.

I wrote a poem against abortion and am thinking of posting it on the forum. Unless that would be taboo. I am a newbie and don't knmow the true code of ethics yet.

Well thanks for listening.
Vampiella
Vampeilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:10 AM   #107
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
Likely because that is what she is trying to say. Anyway it doesn't matter, being "unwanted" is not the worst thing in the world.
I agree with this. There's too much angst attached to things like this nowadays, in my opinion. I think Western society puts way too much pressure on parents to be perfect.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:16 AM   #108
Virulent Dryad

Well if you don't want kids, don't have them. It'll save you and your child a whole lot of future trauma. Children should come from desire, not accidents, or peer pressure or whatever.

Nonetheless, being unwanted is bad but not unbearable.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #109
Wise Child

It's not ideal, I agree, but as you say there are worse things. Like being abused, or dumped, or seriously neglected. Freudian psychology has a lot to answer for, I think, in convincing people that it's nigh impossible to transcend whatever your parents have done to you (and according to the man, they're almost sure to have done SOMETHING...). I know plenty of people who've done it. Obviously circumstances differ, and it's far easier for some people than others - depends on a hell of a lot of factors. But parents are human beings after all, and can be just as flawed and selfish as any other human being. If what they've done hasn't scarred you for life, then a little lightening up and getting over it can go a long way in my book.

(And that's not directed at you, Virulent - just generally as people who use it as an excuse to bore people with long accounts of how terrible their childhood was. I'm sure we've all met the type. If not, there seems to be one up there *points*)

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:17 AM   #110
Shastania666

On the subject of abortion, my view is this:
Scenerio 1: Mary-Jane Rottencrotch goes to a keg party and fucks the first guy she sees. A fortnight later, her period's late and she discovers she's pregnant. The father couldn't give a rat's ass, her parents have disowned her and she has no money.
An abortion might seem the easier solution, but look at it this way: if she carried the child to term and gave it up for adoption, rather than live with the grief of a dead child on her concience, she'd be enriching another couple's life with a baby they otherwise wouldn't be able to have. and i'm not just saying this because I myself am an adopted child but also because I see no point in killing a baby who otherwise would make a childless couple happy.
However, when it comes to Scenerio 2:
Mary Goodchild and her husband discover they are expecting a baby. La-dee-da, everyone's happy and the baby is loved and wanted. A routine scan shows at around-let's say 3 months in reveals that the child has a life threatening illness that is both deathly to the baby and the mother to the point were if she were to give birth, both Mary and the baby would die.
An abortion would be the only option here.

That's my two cents.
Shastania666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #111
AshNicoli

I'm pro life all the way.
AshNicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #112
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastania666
On the subject of abortion, my view is this:
Scenerio 1: Mary-Jane Rottencrotch goes to a keg party and fucks the first guy she sees. A fortnight later, her period's late and she discovers she's pregnant. The father couldn't give a rat's ass, her parents have disowned her and she has no money.
An abortion might seem the easier solution, but look at it this way: if she carried the child to term and gave it up for adoption, rather than live with the grief of a dead child on her concience, she'd be enriching another couple's life with a baby they otherwise wouldn't be able to have. and i'm not just saying this because I myself am an adopted child but also because I see no point in killing a baby who otherwise would make a childless couple happy.

If adoption is such a great option and there are so many people adopting, why are our orphanages full? Most people who want children want them to be their own because it's something special. Most people, though they may not admit it, would not choose adoption over having their own children. People who can't have children are usually pretty emotional about it. By this scenario we're simply filling up orphanages and foster homes, and making another problem for ourselves.
Don't get me wrong, I do realise that adoption can be a good option and it does have it's good side but still, it is also another problem in itself.
Also let's not forget that going through nine months of pregnancy. Being moody, morning sickness and puke for a child and then you just give it away? And that is not more traumatic for her conscience than abortion?

Anyway, the point is not on what reasons you should be allowed to have an abortion, simply whether or not it should be legal. And I think most people are perfectly capable of making their own decisions, based on their own morals, so I'd vote legal.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #113
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel29

On a side note. I read this article about pregnancy clinics and just about puked... So here it is for your reading pleasure.

http://www.vueweekly.com/articles/default.aspx?i=3958

Those people are deplorable.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:06 AM   #114
Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeh
The closest we got to perfect birth control was a plant that the Greeks, because of it's virtually certain results, hunted and harvested into extinction. They actually took note of its popularity and declining availability and, in the end, were aware they had destroyed it from the earth.
I'm curious? What plant? I've recently read a few articles and books about birth control in ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome, and while there are known some receipts (some of them might have worked, some obviously not, and some were highly toxic), I've never read anything about a specific plant the results of which were certain.
If you could give me the quote of the article or book you've read that it would be highly appreciated - I'd be really interested in that. Without source I must admit, it's a bit hard to believe for me, because it was never mentioned in any of the articles and books I've read.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:10 AM   #115
Solumina

I wish I could remember then name of that plant, we learned about it in my mythology/ancient Greece class.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #116
Sobeh

It's likely silphium, but it might have been another. At any rate, it ranks among the most tragic losses in all of natural history.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:10 AM   #117
Nike

Thank you, interesting link!
Old 05-29-2006, 03:10 AM   #118
Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
I'm pro- abortion, mainly because I know how it feels to grow up as an unwanted child. No need to say more.
I've read the replies to above statement, and I would like to suggest a little caution concerning the term "unwanted". There is a difference between "Mummy doesn't buy me a new whatever, therefore I am unloved" and unwanted as in "human garbage." Those who were considered garbage often refer to themselves as unwanted, which might lead to the wrong impression. But don't worry, I'm not going to whine about my miserable upbringing. There are child rescue organisations who provide in depth information on the subject with more authority than a newbie on Gnet.
Concerning condoms and the pill - as several male friends of mine said, would you give a woman the power to decide when you will be a father? Therefore, condoms are a man's best friend. The same goes for women - should someone else decide for you? Therefore, contraception! Whether that is the pill, an implant or total abstinence from all sexual activities, is up to individual choice. But I think everybody able of becoming a parent should be educated about the why and how. I've met too many girls six to ten years my junior who still believe that a virgin can't get pregnant... and in this country, information and contraception is free. Baffles me, why they don't go and get a clue...

As for what justifies abortion and what does not - how many of us have actually made that decision, one way or the other? I haven't. I won't judge another woman before I have made that decision. I think, if a woman does not want a child, she'll find a means to get rid of said child. Sooner or later. I prefer during the first trimester of pregnancy as opposed to during the first decade of the child's life. There were seveal chilling court cases here last year - one involved a woman who had nine babies she killed and put in flower pots. Makes me pro-choice, I guess, but I'd rather be called pro-child.

Whew, this is getting kind of long ... now to abortion related issue number three that has been bugging me: Some of you raised the question, whether mental retardation, genetic defects etc. justify abortion. This is a tough issue. I think that there is more to be considered than just the child's condition. The parents attitude and coping abilities are a prominent factor in determining a child's quality of life. How do they feel about people with disabilities, or what is their economic situation, for example. Not everyone can afford expensive but necessary treatment. And then there are parents who have the money, but detest the very thought of "something like that" being born to them. I wish every prospective parenting couple - both of them, not just the mother or father - sat down, put their warm fuzzy feelings and their perceived moral obligations aside and thought their case through from a matter of fact, how-do-I-hook-up-the-breathing-apparatus and what-do-I-tell-granny point of view. If a couple can say yes to all that - the whole enchilada, including dealing with other people's nasty opinions - then these people and their baby deserve every support they can get.
But if a couple can only think of how to "rectify" the situation and feels "cheated of the child they deserve", then it is time to think of ways to prevent them becoming parents, including abortion.
Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:21 AM   #119
WolfMoon

Nocturne, that is one of the most intelligent posts I have read on these boards. It is quite refreshing.

I like the term 'pro-child'.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:02 AM   #120
Nocturne

Thank you, WolfMoon.
Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #121
J.M.Lovechild

Personally, i could never have an abortion. However i do think other women should have a choice. I don't like the idea of abortion, but i am pro-abortion. Criminalizing abortion will not stop it, just endanger the lives of many scared and confused woman.

I used to think that abortion was only right if the woman had been attacked, or for medical reasons. But last year a fourteen year old friend of mine got pregnant and chose to have an abortion. I was the only person she chose to confide in at first and was supposed to be going with her to the clinic. This would have torn me apart completely, my own Mum was pregnant last year and only a few weeks further on than this girl. But i felt i had to be there to support her as she was my friend. Thankfully she told her older sister, who went with her instead. This girl lives a really bad life, her parents and her boyfriend are junkies, she is completely irresponsible and incapable of raising a child. I honestly think she did the right thing for her and the baby.

I think the limit for abortion should be lowered though. I live in Britain, where the limit is 24 weeks gestation. A baby can be born prematurely and LIVE at 18 weeks.

I'm a Pagan, and think life is precious and a gift, but i believe sometimes if sending the spirit of the baby back where it came from (so it can be given another chance at life) will cause it less emotional harm and trauma than bringing it into the world right now, it is ok. However, i think abortion should only ever be used as a very last resort.
J.M.Lovechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #122
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.Lovechild
Personally, i could never have an abortion. However i do think other women should have a choice...Criminalizing abortion will not stop it, just endanger the lives of many scared and confused woman.
God I wish that more people could/would think like you.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #123
J.M.Lovechild

I just don't think that because something is not right for me i have any right to condemn or criticize it, and i have to say thanks, that is not a compliment i receive often lol
J.M.Lovechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #124
endemonidia

In Ireland abortion is illegal, and up until a while ago it was even illegal to travel to the UK to receive one. That was reversed by two cases known as Case X and Case Y. In one of them the girl was under 16 and pregnant as a result of incest, and the the second one was I think the result of ****. I can't see abortion being legalised any time soon: contraceptives, divorce and homosexuality were only legalised in the early-mid nineties...
endemonidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #125
BADSEED

I am pro choice, but I don't believe in abortion as a means of birth control!
BADSEED is offline   Reply With Quote