Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
chris6709

Hello

Hello, this is my incredily exiting introduction, and by exiting I mean that you may retain enough brain cells after reading this to continue functioning throughout your day (at least one can hope). I currently reside in Raleigh, North Carolina, which is far better then the backwaters of Oklahoma where I previously was (yes, even the genetic cese pool that is oklahoma can have its backwaters, tis a scary place).

Yes, I do know my screen name is rather bland, but at least I am able to remember it easily enough. For the few who have not been able to determine, yes, my name is chris (one would think that perticular fact was rather self evident), and no, those numbers are irrelevent. I am male, twenty years of age (I do not think I could make this section of my introductory rant any more boring so I shall stop before someone attempts to force a pencil to mate with their cerebrum).

One of my main hobbies is clothing design. A hobby I hope to transform into a career shortly, but I shall not bore you with the details of that here (maybe I shall subject the fashion section to that). One of my other 'hobbies' is being an intellectual sponge. I try and gain as much information in as many subjects as I can. As such, my cranium is quite filled with utterly useless facts. This allows me two things, the abilty to spout odd facts at even odder times, and a chance to be frequently irritated when people get info wrong, especially 'stupid science' (such as 'the sky is blue because it reflects the ocean'...I disdain those who act as misinformation viral agents, it is not hard to corraborate information), not that there is anything wrong with a mistake, it is the willfull ignorance that grates on my nerves (and apparently makes me rant on more then is healthy).

Anyway, I have already taken up too much of your times, if there is any question you might have, feel free to ask, just do not expect it to be all that interesting.
chris6709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

Haha, I like you; welcome. Here are some questions you might like to answer:
https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=1644

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
chris6709

Why thank you Jillian. I attempted to address those questions originally, but unfortunantly my memory tends to be about as accurate as a blind dubble amputee knife thrower. But thanks to you, I know have a chance to redeam myself, or bore everyone.

I am unsure if I truly have a favorite author, but I do greatly enjoy Michael Crichton, Stephen Baxter, Cook, and Greene.
Films will be even harder for me, but I do tend to be a rather large anime fan (now I wait for the traditional lobbing of large heavy objects at the anime nerd).
As to what I want played at both my wedding and funeral, I am unsure. But I do want the wedding to be unique and memorable, and my funeral to be even more so (I want half of them to do a double take after they realize my ashes were used to make the dishes they just ate off of, and the other half to not remember a thing from the whole thing)
I honestly do not think there is much about my childhood that I miss, in fact I am quite sure I am glad the whole ordeal is over, especially my inablitly to get answers to my questions.
Music wise, it obviously depends on my mood, but rather often, give me a good electro group and chris will be quite content (he will be even more content if the 'b' key will stop taunting him so)
My education is only some college. I found I learned more on my own without having to sit through mind numbing classes and still be able to tutor my class mates. Also my intended career is one that is entirly self taut.
As to why I have joined this comunity, that is simple, I needed something to occupy myself for a time, so I thought, why not?
I hope that answers any questions that everyone probably didn't really have in the first place.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
chain ring

I wanna hear about the clothing design. Anything that goes from a blank piece of paper to a *something* created is fascinating, I guess, because there's so many ways it could be designed or drawn or sung or played.....or something. Too early to think straight.

Do you sketch designs, or make clothing?
chain ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:21 AM   #5
chris6709

I do both actually, if I have the necissary materials on hand, then I shall go straight from the idea to the fabric. However if I do not have the materials (which is often the case in many of the designs as they require specialty fabrics and plastics), then I shall simply sketch it out untill I am able to find the necissary materials. This also gives me a chance to flesh out the idea a little more (in that I often get inspiration from the most absurd things). I have quite a few prototypes laying around, all of which I wear. Gives me a chance to test them for pausible flaws in design, as well as gives me something to wear that no one else has. But, if all else goes well, then I shall begin producing and selling by the summer, at least one can hope.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
chris6709

Almost forgot what they are and who they are for, it seems the time of day is also skewing my ability to think.

Most of what I do is unisex, however I do have a few things that are intended to be gender specific. The design styles generally include modern gothic, rivethead (I know it is now a dated term, but I still like it), and cyber (which I must say can be the most fun at times), or any combination of the above mentioned.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #7
DarkHeartedDemoness

Have you thought of going to Parson's? They're the best school for apparel design in the US.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
chris6709

I have considered going to a school for design, but for now, I belive I shall take it all on my own. Not that I am cocky as to my abilities, I just have found I learn far better on my own then in a class enviorment.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
DarkHeartedDemoness

Sure, for design-element type things... But who's going to teach you what stitch is best or worst on specific patterns or materials? What about pattern-altering? That's trickier than you think.

I would recommend at least taking a couple of theory classes.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-21-2006, 11:39 AM   #10
chris6709

I do agree, those things can be quite tricky, and I also agree that at some point some classes would probably benefit me. However currently I do not have the means to attend such a class. Luckily for me I have been able to pick up such things from other locations. I will never claim to know all there is and I am sure I have made quite a few mistakes along the way, and probably still make many of them. However through a combination of independent research, expirimentation, and being close with someone who worked as a seamstress for a time, I have been able to pick up on quite a few things. I do thank you for suggesting Parsons's, I shall deffinintly look into them for future pursuits. Once again, I hope I am not sounding conceided with this, as it is not my intent and I thank you for your input.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #11
DarkHeartedDemoness

Don't worry, you don't sound conceited. I just thought I'd suggest venues that I myself have looked into, since I do share that common interest.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #12
chris6709

I would enjoy getting a chance to talk with another about it sometime. You are one of the first I have come across who shares that interest, maybe there is something we can gleam from one another, or give me another chance to ramble incoherently.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #13
DarkHeartedDemoness

Go dig around in the fashion section. We have lots of interesting things to discuss there.

Do you do hair, makeup, piercings, and tattoos... Or just clothes?
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #14
chris6709

I'll hunt through there some more. I haven't done much with peircings or tattoos, but I have been known to be on call for some of my female friends when they discovered I could do their hair and makeup for them better then they could. How I learned this I still have yet to discover. I have also been dabling in jewlry lately, nothing much, just chokers, pendents, and variouse other things now and then.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
DarkHeartedDemoness

ooh... You should look into Alchemy jewelry then. They're great for inspiration.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #16
chris6709

Thank you, they do have some rather pretty things that give me many ideas. I am used to simply sitting down and making the jewlry on the spot, but now I'm going to have to either sketch out some of the designs or commit them to memory, thank you for the reference.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #17
PersephoneX

welcome! i know nothing of clothing design...so i'm just going to nod and smile politely...
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #18
chris6709

Thank you for the welcome.