Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this 'ban'?
It's understandable 16 8.56%
It's B.S.! (that's what I have to say about it anyway..) 140 74.87%
Don't really care.. 31 16.58%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #301
xxthe_crowxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakred_Winter
Recently, I began the schoolyear at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. And one of the things that caught my eyes under the student dress-code is that any dress that is 'distracting' is banned including, but not limited to mind you the 'gothic' style of dress.

First of all, the generalization 'distracting' is to general to be lawful. Second of all, that was a direct attack on mine and my friends (we are few in this hick-town) subculture.

I have been working ever since school began to get this ban abolished. I have over 195 names on a petition. I have spoken with the Elementary School Principal (our schools are connected) and she is on our side. I have written a letter to the Superattendant and am trying to get a meeting with him.

I would really love some input on this subject, and maybe some ideas to help get this straightened out.
THAT HAS GOT TO SUCK
xxthe_crowxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #302
GothicChristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
Why are so many goths constantly on the lookout, and ready to scream "discrimination" at the drop of a hat? I thought it was Christians who were supposed to be the paranoid martyrs.
I happen to be both, and I don't feel that I'm discriminated against for either.
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #303
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
Why are so many goths constantly on the lookout, and ready to scream "discrimination" at the drop of a hat? I thought it was Christians who were supposed to be the paranoid martyrs.
Most subcultures and religions (which are arguably a type of subculture) scream "discrimination" at the drop of a hat. It's not just the goth subculture. And in relation to my own experiences, as I stated, I got LESS shit when I finally started wearing what I liked.

In a lot of cases where there is "discrimination," I think it's less about "goth" and more about people of any group targeting anything that's different. It's not an admirable trait, and many individuals overcome it, but I think it's human to be judgmental. It's how our ancestors survived.

And unfortunately, some individuals are probably involved in the gothic subculture not because it coincides with their interests, but because it enables them to get a reaction from people. Some try to play it up because that's why they're in it. Because they're drama whores.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #304
jack_the_knife

People are offended by things because they want to be. So many people play the discriminatory "card" if you will, merely to get attention.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #305
Necrophagist

My school is lenient in terms of dress. I know this guy with a blue mohawk - none of the teachers care.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #306
girasol

Ignore people or make fun of yourself then smile. It might shock him. What can possibly happen. Its not fun for people to bully when they aren't receiving a reaction they hoped for.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #307
Ms.Crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneSuch
Oh god you americans are lucky .. Us brits get school uniforms we have to wear.... Yay........ *Cries*

Just be happy you get to put on your own clothes when you go to school..
Our school Uniform was alright when I first started at my school. We could wear long skirts, black jeans, black trainers, basically anything we wanted to(Within reason), as long as it was school colours. We could wear accessories such as spiked belts, spiked bracelets, arm warmers, whatever. But when the new Rector came in, things changed. Big time. Uniform got stricter and it got to a point where anyone who wasn't Christian wasn't allowed to wear the symbols of their culture or religion. I got told more than once to take of my Ahnk, my Pentacle and my mini-Mjolnir necklaces. 3 years of that bullshit.
But I can understand where the whole Uniform thign comes from. It prevents persecution and bullying because of what someone wears. If someone was to go completely Gothic into their school, then more than likely, they'll be ridiculed for it, maybe even beat up.
Ms.Crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #308
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Crowbar
Our school Uniform was alright when I first started at my school. We could wear long skirts, black jeans, black trainers, basically anything we wanted to(Within reason), as long as it was school colours. We could wear accessories such as spiked belts, spiked bracelets, arm warmers, whatever. But when the new Rector came in, things changed. Big time. Uniform got stricter and it got to a point where anyone who wasn't Christian wasn't allowed to wear the symbols of their culture or religion. I got told more than once to take of my Ahnk, my Pentacle and my mini-Mjolnir necklaces. 3 years of that bullshit.
But I can understand where the whole Uniform thign comes from. It prevents persecution and bullying because of what someone wears. If someone was to go completely Gothic into their school, then more than likely, they'll be ridiculed for it, maybe even beat up.

You continue to be disappointing.

You know, this still brings up some interesting tid bits. Off topic thought: How many people are really aware of what rights they have and what rights they don't have?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #309
~Angel_Of_Darkness~

Interesting topic, but I agree with everyone that says 'be glad you don't have to wear uniforms.' I live in a former British colony and we still follow the British way of life. Uniforms galore. And they have the strictest rules, regarding uniforms. Every single person has to wear their uniform the exact same way, the exact hairstyles, the exact types of watches and earrings. I hated it and rebelled against it as much as I could (and ended up having loads of shit confiscated, gah) but thank god that's over.
"And as always, innocent like roller coasters. Fatality is like ghosts in snow and you have no idea what you're up against because I've seen what they look like. Becoming perfect as if they were sterling silver chainsaws going cascading......."
~Angel_Of_Darkness~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #310
DR666DREADLOKZ

At my school, we're pretty much free to wear anything. As long as it isn't promoting violence, drug usage, or sexuality. We can't wear chains on out clothes, which is understandable, because people consider chains as weapons.
I still think banning gothic clothing is pointless, though.
DR666DREADLOKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #311
Tam Li Hua

When I was in school, I didn't know about Gothic subculture at all, so it's hard to say how my Christian high school would have reacted. [I was still kind of a weird kid even without the Goth garb, though, so I imagine it probably wouldn't have been much different. lol] I think as long as one had one's shirt tucked in, then there wasn't much controversey over clothing. I remember that guys had to be clean-shaven and weren't allowed to have long hair, and that if anyone wore shorts or skirts, that they couldn't be more than six inches above the knee. I think as long as those basic rules were followed, then they probably wouldn't have had a problem with basic Goth garb.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #312
Becca_Lugosi

Off topic, but still on the topic of the bullshit-ness that are dress codes.

In the 7th grade, in a public school, I wore a T-shirt that read "Make 7" on the front and "Up Yours" on the back. I was suspended for 10 days.

But in the 5th grade at a Catholic school [cry for me], I wore fishnets, cowboy boots, and a dress that barely covered my ass, and the [female] principal loved it.

I'm not condoning scandalous or skimpy or vulgar dressing, but I believe that what people wear matters little in a school environment. Worry more about the kids that are FAILING or being bullied that who is wearing a Corona logo.

Misplaced priority.
Just my opinion.

~B.L.
Becca_Lugosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #313
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca_Lugosi View Post
In the 7th grade, in a public school, I wore a T-shirt that read "Make 7" on the front and "Up Yours" on the back. I was suspended for 10 days.

But in the 5th grade at a Catholic school [cry for me], I wore fishnets, cowboy boots, and a dress that barely covered my ass, and the [female] principal loved it.
Amusing.
blacktext
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #314
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca_Lugosi View Post
Off topic, but still on the topic of the bullshit-ness that are dress codes.

I'm not condoning scandalous or skimpy or vulgar dressing, but I believe that what people wear matters little in a school environment. Worry more about the kids that are FAILING or being bullied that who is wearing a Corona logo.

Misplaced priority.
Just my opinion.

~B.L.
It's not like people are wasting time making sure you don't look like an idiot that they would be using to help kids pass.
Also, what kind of parents let a fifth grader out of the house in a skirt that barely covers the ass?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #315
Saya

Does it say something about this board that this thread is in POLITICS and has been surviving longer than actual political discussions?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #316
Godslayer Jillian

Not at all. In fact it's the opposite. Take into account that 13 out of the 15 pages are from two years ago and lasted for about two years. Which means they used to talk about this over six times more than we do.
And then those who revive this thread are mainly new people who have probably been flamed in other threads, as opposed to the first pages which are filled with regular poster comments.

This in fact shows that Gnet has become, relatively, more politicized.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #317
Dead Raven

You gotta relax, it's just school. You go there to LEARN, not to show your way of dressing or other personal. I dress gothic too but wouldn't whine if I'd have to dress like everyone else just for the few insignificantly short school hours. You need some sense of proportion.
Dead Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #318
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Raven View Post
You gotta relax, it's just school. You go there to LEARN, not to show your way of dressing or other personal. I dress gothic too but wouldn't whine if I'd have to dress like everyone else just for the few insignificantly short school hours. You need some sense of proportion.
So? School is an essential part of working life, why shouldn't someone try and be as comfortable in that environment as possible, and defend that right if necessary? I can't say that I care two shits about this topic, but I think you're stupid.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #319
jigsaw

i think someone should like make an act to stick up for our rights to be goth at skool im mean i good realation bith both the princilple and she let me wear clothing that are gothic. and just beucz her daughter dated creg ownes(no joke, i swear on y unborn child)
jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #320
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
i think someone should like make an act to stick up for our rights to be goth at skool im mean i good realation bith both the princilple and she let me wear clothing that are gothic. and just beucz her daughter dated creg ownes(no joke, i swear on y unborn child)
Looks like your unborn child is headed straight to an early grave, there is no fucking way that you went to school.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #321
jigsaw

ive actually ask her myself if i can wear them
jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #322
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
So? School is an essential part of working life, why shouldn't someone try and be as comfortable in that environment as possible, and defend that right if necessary? I can't say that I care two shits about this topic, but I think you're stupid.
No, you're the one who isn't really thinking.
You're right; school is an essential part of working life, but that's why you shouldn't be allowed to dress however you like. In nearly every workplace, you can't dress however you like. School should prepare you for that.

What's more, schools not allowing people to wear anything they like discourages them from using clothing as a sort of security blanket, and prepares them to deal with situations in adult life where they may be uncomfortable, but must endure.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #323
Smells Like A Foot

This thread? Still?
Smells Like A Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #324
mirandaluna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Raven View Post
Agreed. I didn't have to deal with clothing-related rules until my senior year of high school, when Columbine happened and suddenly my trenchcoat was a big no-no, but then I just dressed a little more casually in black and no one cared.
mirandaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #325
Sinjob

Some kids would occasionally give me shit in middle school and a bit in freshman year for the way I dress, but I didn't really give a shit. I mean it's just the way I choose to dress that in it's own way marks a subculture I consider myself of and honestly no big deal otherwise or outside of that. People get on their period way too much for this kind of shit nowdays.
But people will always judge, that's just life. Man it up.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote