Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #26
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherofMercies
I strongly advice against the monroe piercings. It leaves a shitty scar.... wanna see?
That's the one that is a small ball in the mustache area, isn't it?
If so, I stonly advice against it:
IT LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING MOLE!!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:48 AM   #27
c130

That's the point, Jill.

[quoet]I let the first one close because of my incredibly prim and propper high school...so i had it redone through the original point on my first day of college.[/quote]
It probably hurt cos it went through scar tissue then.

Quote:
In the meanwhile I will be sticking safety pins through my ears (after cleaning everything).
NOOO! Please don't! No matter how clean they are, safety pins are too blunt, too awkward and too rough to do the job well. You'll just hurt yourself.

If you're definitely keen to do it yourself, go to the local GP and see if you can get a couple of sterile needles - just tell them you're an art student and you need them for your project (I got some this way, although I was telling the truth about the art project). Ask for some 18G or 16G ones (if they ask why you're so specific, tell 'em it's for macro photography and thinner needles don't show up well - just remember that line and it'll convince them). Then you just need to get a cheap gold stud earring and sterilise that, wash your hands thoroughly if you don't have any gloves, use the needle to pierce your skin (it won't need sterilised since it's fresh out a sealed packet) and stick the stud through. Clean and much safer than using safety pins, even if they're more convenient.

Even if you've done it with safety pins before, please try the above method, and at least compare the results.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #28
c130

'Tis done!

I now have a shiny new chunk of metal jammed through my tongue, and another three in my ears.

It did hurt a little bit but it wasn't at all unbearable. Bled a bit too but it wasn't too bad, not like she hit a vein with the needle or anything. I got some numbing spray stuff on it while I was filling in the form, but tbh I don't think it made much of a difference. The piercer recognised me from my activity on their forums, hehe. She did my industrial back in October too, which she says is healing unusually quickly and cleanly, considering it's got one of those up-to-18-months healing times. ^_^ Next week I go back to get a shorter bar put in.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #29
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c130
That's the point, Jill.
Why in Hades would that look good?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #30
c130

I have no idea. I'm agreeing with the mole statement. o___o;;
*thinks of Austin Powers*
Moooooole...
MOLE!
----
Damn. Mum found out. She came in to my room to ask why I wasn't eating anything, then, not satisfied with my mumbled "I had something while I was out..." asked me if I'd been out drinking. o_O So I objected loudly (I'm a non-drinker and damn proud of it) and she noticed how I can't talk properly. Adding two and two together...

"Oh no! Oh let me have a look at your mouth."

*grabs my chin, opens my mouth*

"Oh no! You silly girl! Why did you do that? etc. etc."

Overall, she took it better than I expected.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:40 AM   #31
MotherofMercies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
That's the one that is a small ball in the mustache area, isn't it?
If so, I stonly advice against it:
IT LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING MOLE!!
That was the point, alas my skin had a reaction to the metal used.

I am also strongly against the piercing now, only because the scar is prominant. It's not so bad with labret peircings or nose or brow.
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #32
Graveyard.Crow

Some girls just want to have a monroe, to ehance the facial features.
Graveyard.Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #33
Graveyard.Crow

Oh and thanks for the piercing advice.
Graveyard.Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #34
norli

Congratulations to c130 for their piercing. I did some research back in 7th grade when I longed for a tongue piercing and all I really remember is to keep it CLEAN! I suggest keeping a travel size bottle of listerine on you and to use it after everytime you eat in fear of it getting infected and pussing up..... never did get that piercing though, opted for a eyebrow piercing but my school didn't allow facial piercing.
norli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:12 AM   #35
the_ink_bleeds_faster

My brother got his tongue pierced. He hid it from our mom for about a month, and then told her when our sister moved out. My mom wasn't to upset, just kind of mad that he didn't get it done professionally and didn't tell her. Later on, she bought him glow-in-the-dark tongue rings so she could see him at night.

But he said it didn't hurt more than he expected.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #36
c130

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ink_bleeds_faster
My brother got his tongue pierced. He hid it from our mom for about a month, and then told her when our sister moved out.
Did he not have trouble speaking for a while? o_O

Quote:
Later on, she bought him glow-in-the-dark tongue rings so she could see him at night.
lmao, that's pretty cool.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #37
Isotope

Tongue piercing is cool. I want to have one too, but my parents will never let me...
Oh well...
I'm cute enough without piercings
Isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:04 PM   #38
c130

You can always buy the BCR's and wear them without the ball, as fake piercings, if you like. Then you'll also be able to see your parents' reactions to certain piercings, eg. lip, septum, ears, etc. without needing to actually do it first.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:44 AM   #39
Isotope

God damn, sounds great!
Isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #40
cryuntildeath

Thing is, your tongue is a muscle that heals extraordinarily well. And when they pierce (assuming it's down the middle, like almost all tongue peircings are), it's between the muscles. It does not hurt as much as people assume. You just drool a bit during the process, the clamp is the most uncomfortable part. It didn't hurt me any more than an ear peircing. My lip hurt more than my tongue! It just swells for a week, suck on some ice. And when 3-4 weeks comes around, switch to acrilyc barbells. They help reduce gum/teeth damage. And use lots of mouthwash (the one that doesn't have that buring feeling) up until it is done with the healing process. And brush well. Oral hygene should be a big priority during this time.

As for food, after anything but water enters your mouth, use mouthwash. it keeps it from getting infected (mine never did and i heard it SUCKS, so avoid it!!). Avoid hot and salty foods. I ate chips and stir-fry and normal stuff during then, but when I ate a Jalepeno and some of those hot Cheetos...I regretted it. Avoid these things for about the first 1 week, and maybe longer, if you feel the need.

Oh, and it doesn't affect your speech. At least, it shouldn't. i have a small mouth, and all that happened was during the swelling time, while adjusting to having the large (they start out large cause of the swelling, then you can resize it) barbell in your mouth, it makes your mouth feel small and heavy. But after 2-3 days most, it feels alot more normal.

I got my tongue peirced 6-7 months ago. best thing I ever did.
cryuntildeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #41
vampyremage

I have my venoms pierced, which are supposed to be quite a bit more painful and difficult to heal than a standard center tongue piercing due to the fact that they are pierced through the muscles rather than between them. However, I figure I'll add my experiences here anyway.

The piercings themselves weren't that bad. Fairly standard affair if you've ever had any piercings before. I found that I did drool a bit, but other than that it wasn't to bad. For me swelling lasted for about 2 weeks before it started to go down, but again that is probably because I got venoms rather than center tongue. I have heard that on average swelling for a center tongue is about half that. Throughout the swelling portion of my healing I drank tonnes of chamomile tea, for the anti-inflammatory agent in it. It was very soothing since I don't like to take drugs unless it is absolutely necessary. Eating anything that wasn't completely completely soft was difficult until the swelling went down but once it went down it was more or less fine. Except for spaghetti. Spaghetti was extremely difficult to eat until I got the barbells shortened about a month after the initial piercing. I can now eat anything without any problems at all. I only ever had very minor problems speaking, mostly with r's and t's.

As far as aftercare goes, I swished around sea salt solution (1/4 teaspoon salt/1 cup water) after every meal and at night, before I went to bed, I used some oral B mouthwash because it doesn't have any alcohol in it, which can be bad for a healing piercing.

Overall I would say that it was one of my easiest piercings to heal. The first couple of weeks sucked but they were pretty much completely healed after a month.
vampyremage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #42
Saddiction

My friend has his tongue split with each side pierced. Hope I explained that well enough for others to understand what I mean.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #43
QuixoticPoiizon

i have a question...if you get your tongue pierced can it get pus (does that statement make sense???)..which would be eww..im just wondering because im still debating about getting one
QuixoticPoiizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #44
c130

You get pus if it gets infected, and it's really really really hard to get an infected tongue piercing. Your saliva has powerful anti-bacterial stuff in it that keeps oral wounds all clean, and cuts there heal so fast there's no time for evil things to set in. So no you won't get any pus.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #45
QuixoticPoiizon

im also thinking smoking a ciggie the couple of weeks after you get your tongue pierced is a no no?
QuixoticPoiizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #46
c130

Wait til it's healed. Smoke stops the antibacterial stuff in your saliva from working, lowers your immune system's effectiveness, and is also quite filthy. The only times I've heard of people getting an infected tongue piercing was where they went off and smoked soon after it.