Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #26
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
You can't get diseases from leeches - they don't feed often enough for diseases to survive in them, and are not a known vector for any pathogens. My mother's colleagues are leech experts, I discussed these things with them before proceeding with my 'experiment' (though it was mainly just for laughs anyway).

And I got the leeches from the middle of the rainforest in Taman Negara, the biggest national park in Malaysia. Probably one of the cleanest places on earth when you consider how 'unclean' most human-inhabited places (and indeed most HOSPITALS) are.
I didn't say disease...I said infection, which yes, you can certainly get from leeches...When you pry a leech off of you (and I'm not saying you personally do this to remove them), they actually throw up onto the wound, which is not healthy at all.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #27
Cicero

The throwing up thing is an exceedingly popular myth. I don't usually bother pulling leeches off since I figure they might as well not go hungry, but it actually makes no difference. The anti-coagulants have already been injected, and they're what cause the irritation afterwards (and are also what happen to help restore bloodflow into gangrenous body parts).

The only possiblity of infection in a leech bite is a secondary infection caused by improper hygeine which you're just as likely to get from a paper cut.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #28
raggedyanne

Wow. I just learned way more about leeches than I ever wanted to know. I actually had a "pet" mosquito that I kept in a jar for about a hour til my cousin killed it. If I ever had a pet leech I would name it Claudia.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #29
Amarantha

Wikipedia says that leeches do regurgitate when stimulated to do so, either by some sort of non-direct attempt to remove it or grabbing and yanking said leech off of the host.

The method of removal that causes the least amount of irritation for the leech is to break the seal on the mouth parts and gently remove it.

And apparently they've come back into medical practice in the last 25 years.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #30
Stuporman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
If I ever had a pet leech I would name it Claudia.
Not to veer dangerously off the subject of blood-gulpers, but I always thought Gregor would be a good name for a pet cockroach.
Stuporman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #31
raggedyanne

Gregor sounds quite noble
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #32
Stuporman

Quote:
Gregor sounds quite noble
Sure, as long as he wasn't a human first. Then it's quite pitiful.
Stuporman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #33
biohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey
My only experience with parasites has been with Mosquitoes.

Damn those creatures right to Dragonfly Heaven.
Same here. There are mosquitoes everywhere where I live, and they somehow find a way to get into my bedroom every night.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #34
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha
Wikipedia says that leeches do regurgitate when stimulated to do so, either by some sort of non-direct attempt to remove it or grabbing and yanking said leech off of the host.

The method of removal that causes the least amount of irritation for the leech is to break the seal on the mouth parts and gently remove it.

And apparently they've come back into medical practice in the last 25 years.
Its on Wikipedia so it MUST be true!!
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #35
Cicero

Hmmmm... the wikipedia article did reference to a rather convincing paper on leeches being potential vectors for pathogens, though that's only in "regions with an endemic spread of human and/or animal pathogens" (it seems to be pointing in the direction of central Africa).

So don't get your pet leeches from Africa, kids! Lesson learned.

And also, it seems the regurgitation thing is only when they're seriously fucked with - aka burning them with a cigarette, attacking them with poisons or yanking them about like a paranoid idiot. Any further investigation I'll leave up to the Mythbusters.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:56 AM   #36
disorder

I once saw my brother's friend do a really cool thing with a mosquito. He managed to get one to land on the back of his flat hand. He then made a fist. The mosquito couldn't get it's little sucker out, and just kept on filling up with blood until it exploded.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #37
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
The first time I learned of the benificial nature of leeches was while watching Newton's Apple on PBS as a kid. On that thought my leg has been aching, I think I'll look into leech treatment a little more closely.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #38
Touch of Ink

Location: Pond Path, East Setauket, NY, 11733, US (Come Serial Killers, Come)
~††BlackRose††
Does your school reside on a tall trecherous Mountain and is always silhouette no matter what the angle of the lighting is. Are there steel gates with sharp spikes and ravens reside on the outside as well?

Dude. I don't care about the difficulty of the school. I want to go. And I want to be dressed up for it too.

Was the very tall girl surrounded with a strange blue aura, is she afraid of light? Does she carry a sword?

---

I dunno, everytime I've ever been bitten by a parasite I sometimes just sit and watch it. Infection isn't really that common, I'm more worried about getting latent hairs in my food at Cafe. But like, for the most part, most parasites you don't even feel. So they're not hurting you. In a sense they're just doing whatever they can to survive.

When I got bit by a tick, it was just interesting to see it's fangs slip inside of you.

This is a strange topic, but does anyone believe in Emotional Vampires? (Please don't look at me weird for that) -Draws a small circle with his toe in the sand-
Touch of Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 AM   #39
Anarasha

Quote:
Wow. I just learned way more about leeches than I ever wanted to know. I actually had a "pet" mosquito that I kept in a jar for about a hour til my cousin killed it. If I ever had a pet leech I would name it Claudia.
You and Cicero's read way too much by Anne Rice :P
Namely, Interview With the Vampire :P

Well, experiances with parasites you say?
Does my father count? O_O
Oh well <.<
None that I remember then o.o
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #40
raggedyanne

Parents count as parasites. But one could argue that we as minors embody parasitic elements as we essentially live off them; depending on others for food and shelter.

Touch of Ink: In response to your query on Emotional/psychic vampires. Personally, I believe in their existance. But, for those who do not, would it not be considered parasitic when a person follows you around, being annoying and mooching off of you?

And yes, I do read too much Anne Rice.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #41
Uncle Smoov

This one time I joined a forum of what I thought would be a friendly community site designed to provide a supportive venue for Gothic culture, but found instead only a squirming pit of leeches neither supportive nor friendly. These leeches did all they could to suck the greatness out of my blood, while I, with wisdom far beyond my years, tried to teach them the ways of civilized presentation and solid-inclusive diets. I did my best for them all, but received nothing in return but the little parasitic scream of whores. I stumbled upon a thread begun by a coward who murdered his sister, continued by bestial bat-fetishists, a leech who laughed as living things exploded, two leechwives squabbling over infection and disease, and a “host” of other crawling suck-bugs. This is when I realized that my help was needed more than ever.
Uncle Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #42
raggedyanne

Are you an exterminator by trade? And should a creature be exterminated if it can provide a service to the majority; in this case, entertainment?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #43
Touch of Ink

Location: Pond Path, East Setauket, NY, 11733, US (Come Serial Killers, Come)
~raggedyanne
I actually think that... I like having my emotions fed on. I've met a few people who have claimed to be that way. And I get a feeling off of them that's different. A different vibe. And honestly speaking it's sort of enjoyable. I've been told I'm an emotional masochist, in the literal sense.

I guess it's like how Vampire bites are supposed to feel good? I don't think Vampires exist though, not real ones...

~Uncle Smoov
-Leech leech leech- ...? Wait, I'm not supposed to be leeching your wisdom far beyond your years?
Touch of Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #44
Uncle Smoov

Quote:
Are you an exterminator by trade? And should a creature be exterminated if it can provide a service to the majority; in this case, entertainment?
I'm an exterminator of flaw. It just takes a long time, for the, well, more 'stubborn' types. And what's wrong with servicing the minorities? Are you somehow against entertaining them? Are they not as "important"? It's people like you who made the world what it is today.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #45
Lapin

Seriously, Smoovie, the avatar? Creeping me out. I'm scared to look at the lake outside now.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #46
bulletsinmyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard
Same here. There are mosquitoes everywhere where I live, and they somehow find a way to get into my bedroom every night.

Same here. I HATE those little things!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #47
Uncle Smoov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
Seriously, Smoovie, the avatar? Creeping me out. I'm scared to look at the lake outside now.
Perhaps you're simply not goth enough if my avatar is too creepy for you, Lappie. In an unfortunate coincidence, the lake of which you speak is indeed the very lake portrayed in my avatar. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't suggest that you go anywhere near it, but I'll make an exception for you.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #48
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch of Ink
~raggedyanne
I actually think that... I like having my emotions fed on. I've met a few people who have claimed to be that way. And I get a feeling off of them that's different. A different vibe. And honestly speaking it's sort of enjoyable. I've been told I'm an emotional masochist, in the literal sense.

I guess it's like how Vampire bites are supposed to feel good? I don't think Vampires exist though, not real ones...
Masochistic tendencies never hurt anybody. Well, they may have, but the person sure didn't mind it. ; D
It's the feeling of strangeness that we interpret as pleasure. It depends on who's doing the feeding. Some people just drain me and it doesn't feel all that great.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #49
silverbaal

Do flesh-eating viruses count? Unfortunately, I didn't get it. But a bunch of my past friends were bitten by Brown Recluse spiders and ended up in the hospital. The Brown Recluse is number 6 on some list of the most poisonous animals. Luckily, they didn't have to get anything amputated. I had a scare...But it was just a boil. Whew.
silverbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #50
Firestorm

Mosquitoes and horse flies drive me crazy.
Fortunately the winter has arrived and killed em all.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote