Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Edward Strange

Concerns

Okay. Where to begin.

I want to be a police officer. I want to do this because I want to make the world a better place, I want to help people, I want to do something worthwhile with my life and I want to find out if there is anything bigger and better out there, and as police work is so much more than a job, it makes me feel that it is one of those things.

Anyway, I've wanted to do it since I was wee (with a brief gap when I wanted to join the Army or the Navy or a Bond super villain) and about a month ago I was squee-ing with delight when I got on my course for the university of Glamorgan's Police Sciences degree.

And it is here I start to fret a little bit. And then I fret a little bit more about my actual fretting. Allow me to explain.
For a time I was worried that my being different from everyone else in the class (and boy am I) would be a problem. However, if this is a problem for anyone you could argue they have no place being there in the first place.
So I start to worry that I'm deliberately making it a problem, like I have a cross to bear or something, you know?

My mother did tell me I should make an effort to 'fit in' at the start at least, because my preferred threads might cause... Concern in other members of my class.
And blow me down if she wasn't right.
Hence my position as a Johnny No Friends. Not that it bothers me of course as it gives me more time to work on... Well... Work.
Although it does have the rather nasty side effect as ending up as the butt of the classes' jokes more often than I would like.
I'm the first to understand that my 'individuality' has no place in uniform. I'm willing to in effect, sacrifice who I am, for half of the day to provide a service to the public.

I just hope they know that. >_>
Should I try to fit in more? I don't know, I think it's a bit late for that. If they can't accept me for who I am, they arn't really worth my time anyway. It would just be nice if there wasn't quite so many of them...

I do apologise, I've just ended up rambling about nothing in particular really. What am I really worried about?
That I'm deliberately making life difficult for myself by being... Well... Me.

Oddly enough, there is a small legion of interesting lovely alternative types doing the forensic science course.
I blame NCIS personally.

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:27 AM   #2
Valrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Strange
Should I try to fit in more? I don't know, I think it's a bit late for that. If they can't accept me for who I am, they arn't really worth my time anyway. It would just be nice if there wasn't quite so many of them...
I think you said it yourself there.
If they're too close minded to accept you, thats their loss and their problem
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
Christina_Death1334

Be yourself. If they don't like you, why bother with them. Being a cop is something YOU want to do. Don't let other people get in your way. Soem of them might like you, too, once they get over your appearance and get to know you.

If they can't accept you, they're missing out on a great guy. Their loss.
Christina_Death1334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Strange
I want to be a police officer. I want to do this because I want to make the world a better place, I want to help people, I want to do something worthwhile with my life and I want to find out if there is anything bigger and better out there, and as police work is so much more than a job, it makes me feel that it is one of those things.
If you want to help people you may want to choose a differant profession.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
MollyMac

Look at it this way- you can either choose to fit in and get by by lowering the drama quotient of "choosing to be/look/small different"- this will lower friction levels, etc etc; OR you choose to be as you are and serve as an example that not all who are different are trenchcoat mafia wannabes.

It takes all kinds in the PD, and as long as you are within regulations and code, the be as you are and serve as the example.