Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
Rosie

Location/Local Scene Thread

Just wondering who here is from where, and what the "Scene" is like there?

I'm from Ireland and it's pretty much non-existent. There's a small one in dublin but that's about it.

Probably going to move to the UK. Can UK Goths here tell me the best city to move to?
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Bela Blood

London.................
Bela Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Rosie

Well, how is the scene in London at the moment?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
korinna5555

Northern Virgina, nonexistent scene..
Old 11-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Bela Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Well, how is the scene in London at the moment?
It's great as always.
Bela Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

Ciudad Juarez/El Paso.
The decent music scene of Juarez is focused on electronic and raves. Then there's the shitty reggeton. The "scence" that refers to itself as "Scene" is composed of emos playing screamo and hardcore.
In El Paso the musical scene is more laid back I guess you could call it, with a lot of alternative, indie, and fol singers.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
Underwater Ophelia

I'm from right outside Philly, and while the scene isn't HUGE, you can (usually) easily find someone who knows what Bauhaus is in any mall or gathering of young people.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
suture-self

DC/Baltimore-dying scene
suture-self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
honeythorn

There is no " scene " here. There are no clubs in my town. I know no goths. There is a clubnight type thing in a pub in a nearby city, but I'll be dammned if I'm going inro the city alone at night. Do not move to Birmingham or Wolverhampton. The Black country is one of the many arse ends of Britain. For clubs, London would be your easiest bet.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
Ulfilas

I'm in the UK - Birmingham - which during the mid to late 90s was THE place to be for the Goth scene. It's a bit different now. I'm not sure what honeythorn is on about though... there's more going on than they make out in the midlands. There are lots of things going on here.

including :
Sun 9th December 2007

VNV Nation plus KLOQ

This is an all ages event.

19:00 Until 2300, The barfly, 78 Digbeth High St, Birmingham.

Plus goth/EBM/Industrial aftershow music from DJ Cyberchrist and DJ Daddycat

£15adv Tickets from The barfly
Ulfilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
Rosie

Sounds like Birmingham has more going on than the whole of Ireland, and that's a city where it's supposedly dying according to the above poster :/

What city should I move to? One that's very not-rough preferably and has a bit of a hippie/general artsy scene too.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

That would be El Paso. Only it's just developing so give it a couple of years before moving. :P

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Stormtrooper of Death

Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA. I've found out that there is a large underground punk scene here. But I live about 45 minutes away and in my town has nothing. I plan on moving to England or California when I get my degree in audio production.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #14
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfilas
I'm in the UK - Birmingham - which during the mid to late 90s was THE place to be for the Goth scene. It's a bit different now. I'm not sure what honeythorn is on about though... there's more going on than they make out in the midlands. There are lots of things going on here.

including :
Sun 9th December 2007

VNV Nation plus KLOQ

This is an all ages event.

19:00 Until 2300, The barfly, 78 Digbeth High St, Birmingham.

Plus goth/EBM/Industrial aftershow music from DJ Cyberchrist and DJ Daddycat

£15adv Tickets from The barfly

I have no idea where the barfly is. Also, since I greatly dislike most EBM and am not entirely fond of industrial either, there may as well not be anything going on in Birminghamas far as that show is concerned . Besides, like I said, I know no goths so it isn't as though I have anyone to go with anyway. I went to Edward No 8's a couple of times, but only on my birthday which was the only time I could get my friends to set foot in such a place. Even that's gone now seeing as it is a pile of rubble ( that fire was an insurance scam if you ask me ).
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #15
killer_asian_Dax

Los Angeles, CA. The scene here is very much undead and kicking and shows no signs of ever slowing down. It's pretty underground so there's the coziness of regulars and whatnot and it's also very clean in the regards of it's truly a rare thing to see "normies" in the clubs.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #16
da fetus

im from philly. i dont know the scene here because im not a goth but Haunted House came to one of my shows and we destroyed
da fetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #17
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by suture-self
DC/Baltimore-dying scene
Yep.. If I wanted to go to a Goth club, I would have to go to DC.. and I can't find a single club that does an 80's night.
Out where I am, it's just barns, rednecks, and the stuck up rich people in fucking HUGE houses.. >_>

And cows.. how could I forget the cows..
Old 11-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #18
Delkaetre

UK, location varying between London (weekends), Colchester (weekdays) and Northern Ireland (holidays)
London- busy and thriving, though some problems since Robin and Janine were forced out of the Devonshire Arms, thus causing major changes to the city's only real Goth Pub (expected loss of customers currently ensuing). Many different clubs available. Slimelight is not a goth club. It is a rave/ebm/industrial/techno/noise club which occasionally has goth music. Remember this, and go to something decent instead. Recommended clubs include Blood and Velvet, suggested pubs include Big Red (both on Holloway Road).
Colchester- small and quiet, but on Saturdays there is an unofficial gathering of local goths in the Rose and Crown, a converted Tudor building now part of a hotel franchise. Frist Fridays there's a club called InsanitoriuM, one of the longest running dedicated goth clubs in the country. Most alt-friendly pub is the Hole in the Wall near the Roman wall and water tower. The Castle, beside Colchester Castle, is also worth a visit.
Belfast, Northern Ireland- for the tradgoths, there's Cornucopia on first Saturdays and for the cybers there's Unity on variable dates. Necrodanse for those who like the heavy end of tradgoth and melodic/doom metal, and Oogie Boogie is an irregular deathrock night. The scene is very much industrial at the moment, with tradgoth experiencing a recession. Suggested pubs include Laverys back bar, The John Hewitt, the Duke of York, Katy Dalys and the Stiff Kitten.

I would advise visiting Leeds, which has a great and thriving scene (Leeds, Sheffield and Bradford being the birthplaces of many excellent tradgoth bands). Visit the subculture at the Merrion centre for a good and goth-friendly bar or club, as Sarah Orange is an excellent manager. Black Sheep and Transmission are heartily recommended if you want a night out. Other Leeds based nights include the WendyHouse at the student union, and Black Veil.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #19
da fetus

jesus christ shut the fuck up. they asked about your scene not some long winded debriefing on every piece of shit pub within spitting distance of your petulant little existence. die.
da fetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #20
Delkaetre

Well done on your spelling, fetus, but you may want to work on your capitalisation.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #21
Haunted House

Quote:
Originally Posted by da fetus
im from philly. i dont know the scene here because im not a goth but Haunted House came to one of my shows and we destroyed
It was pretty much major ownage. "Hey look, I've got a CAVITY - FIRST COMMUNION!"
Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #22
lilacgoddess

I am from Colorado Springs, and it is a dying scene*sigh*. However, we do have quite a large scene in Denver, if you know where to look.
lilacgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #23
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by da fetus
jesus christ shut the fuck up. they asked about your scene not some long winded debriefing on every piece of shit pub within spitting distance of your petulant little existence. die.
That's generally what a scene is :/ As much as Delk annoys the snot out of me elsewhere I don't see how they've done anything wrong.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #24
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacgoddess
I am from Colorado Springs, and it is a dying scene*sigh*. However, we do have quite a large scene in Denver, if you know where to look.
My fiance wants to take me to The Church, and he says there is a couple of other good clubs.. I can't wait to move back to Arvada with him..
Old 11-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #25
Mortifere

I got stuck in Warner Robins, Georgia. Absolutely nothing or anyone here of interest that I've seen so far. All rap and country. Now I'm trying to reach as far as Atlanta for eccentric entertainment. If there is anyone in the area, let me know.
Mortifere is offline   Reply With Quote