Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Draconysius

Angry a rant on HIM, a rant on mallgoth

On to the uber-dark and artistic novelty act called HIM They make me want to go out and strangle every last one of them, and their drooling brain-dead fan base. I can hear them now, "Ooh, sexy voice. Dey is dark an artistic. An look at purty pentagram it are so evil and rebelius." as drool dangles from their chins. Seriously, the ONLY reason H.I.Moroid are a success is their singer's voice and their fucking logo! Not to mention the oh-so-dark-and-mysterious-image. You take away that, you've got N Sync 2.0, now with random spooky words!
I'd rip out the EARS of a butterfly to spare it the pain of hearing this piss-in-the-face to music and art.

One of my most endearing rants in recent years has been the mainstream bastardization of goth. It's to the point where musically-ignorant average-Joe thinks goth is something to do with death metal or hardcore punk or some shit. It pisses me off much more though, that this fucking mallgoth fashion-lifestyle trend is still going headstrong, after two years. I wish I could see an end in sight. I just want to see it disappear from the face of the earth one day and have no one remember it ever happened, just like Pokemon.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
ZyklonB

I tend to just ignore it, as all other things. They mind their business I mind mine. Doesn't hurt me at all. Stray right past the hot topic and keep on going till i get to Borders for a good read. =]
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
gothicusmaximus

For every ascribable trait, be it 'athletic', 'cool', 'sexy', 'intelligent', or 'goth', there are bound to be piteous souls who try desperately to demonstrate that trait and fail miserably.

P.S. Don't talk shit about Pokémon.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
L'Oiseau Noir

As long as they're not going around bothering me, I just ignore their presence.

The only time it pisses me off is when the little shits tell me I don't know the first thing about the Gothic subculture, and that they'd be "glad to give me some pointers." Like I need that from some turd dressed head-to-toe in chains and Tripp.

*Deep breath* But I digress. It kind of reminds me of that time this one HIM fangirl told me I didn't know anything about Gothic music, and that I was a poseur. I just said one thing to her: "Siouxsie and the Banshees. Go, listen, learn."

Then I walked off. She probably just ignored me though, put on her I-Pod, and went about listening to Marilyn Manson.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Delkaetre

I saw em years ago. Went because my friends wanted to go, but their parents had the proviso that someone had to be older than fifteen in the group (me), and because the support band were Cathedral- who were very good. HIM had a lot of sound problems, and their bassist had fewer basic motor functions than fuckin' Lemmy out of Motorhead.
Support bands are often better, though. The Scorpions completely outshone Judas Priest. I can't even remember who was support for Megadeth, but they were also better than the main act(misguided relative bought tickets).
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
KontanKarite

Drac, buddy...

You know what's really funny? "True" goth is actually going in a way, back to the way it was in the beginning. Soon, goth will mean "HIM" and offending old people with scary looks and it'll be an insult to you like it was to the ones who started it. If the mainstream wants the word goth, let them have it.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Seriously, the ONLY reason H.I.Moroid are a success is their singer's voice and their fucking logo! Not to mention the oh-so-dark-and-mysterious-image.
So... you take away the sound and the look and you get N' Sync. Pretty much like any gothic band without deep lyrics huh?
Don't get me wrong; I don't like HIM either. But I'm pointing out something to all those people that said the sound is more important than lyrics.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
Stormtrooper of Death

Bloody wankers! If I had more punks in the neck of my woods we'd beat them up real good! I really hate HIM too and to tell you the truth I was bit confused on what goth really is until I got here. Thanks everybody, you've been an invaluable resource on my education. People are very stupid and guilable in today's world.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
KontanKarite

No, people just don't have the forethought to research shit.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
Stormtrooper of Death

That too! Mindless drones they are!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #11
Green.Lady

One of my biggest fears is that when I'm in my twenties, I will go to clubs and fans of Ville Valo will outnumber fans of Peter Murphy and the like. And, yes, it's a common thought that death metal is "goth music."

It happened to punk, too. And to classic rock. We've all seen those kids who walk around with Dark Side of the Moon shirts and couldn't tell you one song off of the album.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #12
ForgetThisLostLenore

I remember Pokemon...

But otherwise, I have but two words....Subculture genocide. When a group takes over another, they often take the women, leaving them with bastard children that dilute the race, culture, etc. Well, while the mainstream takes the word goth, these mindless Marilyn Manson and Hot Topic drones also dilute it. While they use bad white make-up, and claim that Marilyn Manson is "the TRUE goff king", they also give society an alternate example that is more available and open to the public.

Think knock-off brand from expensive brand. The knock-off is readily available to the public, open to their views. This dilutes down the whole product until eventually, the main product is the knock-off.

People go to their local malls, they walk past that "scary" store, they see the customers, and they take that example. So when goth is associated with mopey, Marilyn Manson, heartagram worshippers, it's because all that's readily available for their eyes is mallgoth.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
Draconysius

I guess I shouldn't worry that much. As long as there are still goth bands around, and fans to support them (and argue with mallgoths) the scene should stay alive. But like I read in that book I bought today, America's underground music is more "underground" than most anywhere else, especially in the UK where bands like Public Image Ltd. were making hit radio singles.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:44 AM   #14
Valerius

It certainly annoys me to see a lot of supposed mall-goths parading around in their spooky attire trying to look scary and evil, while utterly failing at it. But what can I do? I certainly won't pick up a pitchfork and go around impaling every mallgoth out there. That would be dreadful. Think of all the crusty white make up that would ruin my clothes.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:50 AM   #15
Apathy's_Child

I don't get it. It's probably just because I'm not anything in particular myself apart from pissed all day long, but I don't really understand what the big deal is about mallgoths. As long as there have been subcultures, there have been annoying little shitbags around to appropriate them until they become mainstream. Why do you guys care? Let 'em have their fun. I wouldn't worry about it, most of them look fucking stupid anyway. I know you're probably worried they make the subculture as a whole look bad, but again, fuck it. YOU know the truth so lead by example, be better than the people you dislike and screw 'em all. The ease of knock-off availability doesn't have to mean the disappearance of the original, surely you guys are proof of that?

Unless you were lying, and you're all mallgoths posing as "real" goths. [gasps dramatically]

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:56 AM   #16
honeythorn

I do like HIM ( and no, I do think they are in any way remotely goth before anyone has a spaz , clearly they are just a rock band. ) . It's a bit of cheese to put on when I'm going out, and I saw them a few weeks ago in Wolverhampton ( Delkeatre, I went to the gig when Cathedral supported, I agree they were excellent ) .

I did almost drown in a sea of mallgoths, one of whom was so dripping with chains, and obligatory D ring covered trenchcoat from Bluebanana that I am surprised he passed security at all,......and he went by the nickname of..I kid you not ....Bondage >.< NO NEED.

The gig was ok. The support band they had, need to be eradicated from the face of the earth immediately. I would be glad to take on the job.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:18 AM   #17
AngelikDemonik

The only thing that annoys me about them is bondage pants, horrible use of eye-liner, blonde roots, and their undying love for Cradle of Filth.
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:15 AM   #18
Edward Strange

And their refusal to research something they claim to be a part of!
It's on wikipedia for goodness sakes!

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #19
Bete Noire

The whole mallgoth thing has always annoyed me because they claim to be goth, and the rest of the world accepts that at face value. That and their refusal to learn what goth actually is, when the truth is readily available, and the reeaalllly bad music. And the bad clothes.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #20
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
I do like HIM ( and no, I do not think they are in any way remotely goth before anyone has a spaz , clearly they are just a rock band. ) . It's a bit of cheese to put on when I'm going out, and I saw them a few weeks ago in Wolverhampton ( Delkeatre, I went to the gig when Cathedral supported, I agree they were excellent ) .

I did almost drown in a sea of mallgoths, one of whom was so dripping with chains, and obligatory D ring covered trenchcoat from Bluebanana that I am surprised he passed security at all,......and he went by the nickname of..I kid you not ....Bondage >.< NO NEED.

The gig was ok. The support band they had, need to be eradicated from the face of the earth immediately. I would be glad to take on the job..
I did mean to say not there, Bloody spaz hand..
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:50 AM   #21
ForgetThisLostLenore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
The only thing that annoys me about them is bondage pants, horrible use of eye-liner, blonde roots, and their undying love for Cradle of Filth.
I have blonde roots....
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #22
DeathToLems

Well I'm the type of person who will listen to anything and give anything a try.
I've listened and IMO I think they are alright.
But I get what you mean about the obsessed fans. T'is quite sad.
But meh! What ever floats their heartagram smothered boat. And as long as they don't try to follow me around because they think I'll be their friend because i may dress in the same color as them. Argh!

Oh and about MallGoths....*sigh*

That is all
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #23
Valerius

I have blonde pubes...

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:04 AM   #24
Draconysius

Not once in my life have I seen a mallgoth in white face makeup. Where are you getting this?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #25
Xombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Not once in my life have I seen a mallgoth in white face makeup. Where are you getting this?
Oh, I have. I know a few, actually, from a neighboring school. If I'm not mistaken, a "Juggalo" is an ICP fanatic, and the mallgoths tend to run around with their faces painted as if they are part of the group. I'm not sure if this counts as normal mallgoth behavior, but this is what I've observed.
Also, I know of two Slipknot-loving girls who try to make their faces extremely pale, only to clash with their two-month-old California tans.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote