Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Dead Angel

Non-Villianous Vampires in Fiction?

If you have any suggestions, please comment. I'm looking for stories about vampires that are not about vampires as the villians/monsters, or have more than a wit to do with Christian mythology.
Dead Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
ionic_angel

Wellllll...I don't know if the vampires in Anne Rice's books are...villainous.

Kim Newman has an interesting universe, try "Anno Dracula", and see if you like it.
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
MEAT NUGGET SPAndEX

I've never read that Twilight series

But from what Ive heard The main vampire is pretty nice
MEAT NUGGET SPAndEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Corpsey

Check out Battle Angel Alita: Last Order's vampires. The last surviving vampire in the world turned from evil and now has become a protector to humanity. The Vampire character stars in the books from 5-9 but only has any real story behind her from book 8&9 which feature nothing but the vampire Vilma Sanguis.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:35 AM   #5
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey
Check out Battle Angel Alita: Last Order's vampires. The last surviving vampire in the world turned from evil and now has become a protector to humanity. The Vampire character stars in the books from 5-9 but only has any real story behind her from book 8&9 which feature nothing but the vampire Vilma Sanguis.
I love Battle Angel Alita, one of my favorite animes.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
Alethea

Hmmm the ones above as well as, if you like some lower-level reading, the Darren Shan series is both sides of the vampire culture.
Alethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Maldarion_Haliax

I don't remember the name of it but its a Ravenloft book about a vampire elf he's as good as they come but he still needs to feed ;D
It's not the ones about Strahd though.
Maldarion_Haliax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #8
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I love Battle Angel Alita, one of my favorite animes.

Fantastic, I thought there were barely any fans out there. I've read the first series in it's entirety but I read it poorly at the library until I realized there were two different series. I started reading from Last Order: 1 BAA: 2 BAA:3 Last order 4-5 BAA: 6-9.

Most confusing.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
XXChristabelXX

The vampires in Lost Souls, by Poppy Z. were not too horrible, but not exactly angels, either. The Silver Kiss is a teeny bopper fiction that may be age appropriate for what I see here. My neice read it a while back and fell in love with Simon.
XXChristabelXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
GratefulGrunger

All the Clans in the Camarilla, Vampire Series.
GratefulGrunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
acidxrainbows

As aforementioned (I'm just clarifying) in the Twilight series, there are good vampires. (There's also "bad" vampires, but to be honest the vampires are all portrayed as emotionally more human than in most fictions.)
acidxrainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
Stormtrooper of Death

Wouldn't Alucard from Hellsing count? I consider him more of an anti-hero, but I'm thinking not so much, seeing as the things he did in both the manga and the anime were, quite, violent. I much prefer the manga to the anime.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
ForgetThisLostLenore

But Alucard doesn't go out and kill random people. I also view Anne Rice's vampires as nice people. I dunno, maybe I'm just screwed over in the head. But there's a lot of these vampire characters that are just wonderful people, but there's a certain stigma with blood-sucking.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #14
L'Oiseau Noir

Well, Moka from the manga/anime Rosario + Vampire is a sweetie. Hazuki from the manga/anime Tsukuyomi -Moonphase- is also a sweetheart, and rather funny, too. You might also like Arcuied Brunestud (I think I've spelled that correctly) from the anime Shingetsutan Tsukihime (Lunar Legend Tsukihime).

As for books... I don't read too much vampire novels, as they're usually the same story with a different cover, but I'll name a few I've heard of through some friends. The vampires in Twilight, from what I've heard, are supposed to be nice. Vampire Kisses is another one, and as someone before mentioned, The Silver Kiss is good; but only if you're into tween fiction.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #15
Mr. Ed

Frankly, I want to find fiction that has more villainous vampires.
Whenever I see heroic vampires in fiction, they have a nasty habit of being angsty little pseudo-Poes that do their best to not suck human blood.
[Save for the anti-hero trio of vampires: Molochai, Zillah, and Twig of Brite's "Lost Souls". They were fun.]
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #16
Despanan

There's the "Black Ribboners" in Terry Pratchetts' Discworld books. I guess you could call them "Good" vampires, as they've joined Vampire AA.

Also the "good" vampire from Ravenloft is named Jander Sunstar, he was a sun elf before he became a vampire and then got trapped in Ravenloft with VonZarovich. There's a D&D novel about it that I read back in highschool.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #17
Tin_Lizzie

Hmm, there's the stuff I write. I'm intrigued by the vampire mythos within the Christian mythology, and would love to explore that theme. But I don't show those stories to anyone, because the editors are turned off by vampires now. Quickest way to get a rejection slip is to use the V-word. *sigh*
Tin_Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:15 AM   #18
vampys-girl

Lynsay Sands writes about vampires or immortals as she calls them most of the times, but it is not based on mythology and the characters are mostly good. Her books are romances. Vampirism in her books comes from nanos that were inserted into the blood to repair damage. I find her books cool cause they treat vampires like real persons with feelings and NOT evil.
vampys-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #19
XxBloodyrosexX

Twilight series is good though a teenage to young adult book that makes preps like vamps, the vampire kisses series, also for teenage girls trht's not as good as twilihgt but has a goth main heroine etc. and these books my one friend read , all i knoe the author's last name sates with C. and the last of the trilogy is called
"chosen" Can you tell I'm a teenage girl?
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 AM   #20
Pinkdevil94

the anita blake vampire series is kinda okay it has weres in it dut . Oh there is also the blue bloods series. and the one im reading now. There is also the series by laurall k. hamilton. High stakes. One foot in the grave. For good vampire novels go to Wal-Mart.
Pinkdevil94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
threnody

Tanya Huff's novels

The "Blood" series (Which has recently been adapted to the TV screen as "Blood ties", but don't let that colour your perception of the novels, which are really quite good), and also Smoke and Mirrors, Smoke and Shadows and Smoke and Ashes, all of which feature a vampire who is not a villain. of course, he's also the bastard son if Henry VIII...Henry Fitzroy, who was actually a real person, though not, to my knowledge a vampire. Worth a read.
threnody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #22
Signe

hmm well you might find one here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...res_in_fiction
yeah yeah it's annoying when you're looking for someone with an actual answer and all you get is a stupid link, but really, i tried, but i can't really come up with anything, maybe someone else has suggestions.

yeah i saw "blood" and then in "buffy - the vampire slayer" some vamps are nice, but then it's not a very gothic show and there are lots of stereotypical vampire myths in it.
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #23
threnody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signe

yeah i saw "blood" and then in "buffy - the vampire slayer" some vamps are nice, but then it's not a very gothic show and there are lots of stereotypical vampire myths in it.

never said it was gothic. And I was reccomending the novels, not the show, which is apparently written by people who have never read the novels, but heard them described once.
threnody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #24
TwilightGirl

i´m huge fan of twilight series. in twilight there are good and bad vampires, in vampire kisses there are also good and bad ones, but in vampire kisses main character is goth. in both of the series main characters are 16-19 y old girls...
TwilightGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #25
JCC

Twilight's awful.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote