Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
BLEED REBELION!!!

Daoism (HElP me understand.)

I have to write a paper on Daoism (Taoism) for school. I dont really understand it, i've only been looking into it for maybe 2 weeks. I've started reading the Daodejing by Laozi (Lao-Tzu). And I went and bought "The complete idiots guide to Taoism."

I could simply write a paper (a good a decent grade) becuase I have the ability. But I wont this paper to have actual substance to mean something I suppose. Daoism seems to be such a big thing fuc.king confusing as hell.

Any Daoist on here? Or anyone who thinks they understand it?

I've been reading allot of text about the Dao. But everytime I think I get a little bit of an understanding I read something else that contradicts or complicates. Why did I have to be an Idiot and pick such a hard topic...

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

See, this question is serendipitously funny, because technically if you understand the Tao, then it isn't the Tao.
You first have to understand that, and then, most of what you read will make sense.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
Solumina

Read The Tao of Pooh, it is fantastic and makes me giggle
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
KontanKarite

I've got a towel. But it's for messes.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
$haDe

Do u know Buddha..

Something likely the same BUT Tao is like ...

The closet thing is druidism..
Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
killer_asian_Dax

Dao- is the natural harmony of things; the nothingness from which all things come.

The Dao De Jing places emphasis on process & change, natural spontaneity & intuition; skepticism of words & education. Preference for country living, minimal government, and harmony with nature.

The Yin/Yang symbol in Daoism represents the passive (female, receptive) principle & the active (male, creative) principle.

Daoism stresses the yin. (Of Yin and Yang)

The Yin (black part) is the passive side. The Yang (white part) is the agressive side. You'll notice how the black part has a bit of white in it and the white part has a bit of black in it. This is to signify how neither part is intrinsically passive or agressive.

The general "theme/ moto" of Taoism is "wu wei" (non-medelesome action, softness)which very simply means "to go with the flow." [don't fight the current]

Taoism and Daoism are the same. Just one word is used over the other depending on where you are and what circles you run with.

A perfect example of what the Tao Te Ching stresses is in number 11:

"Thirty spokes are the wheel's hub;
It is the center hole that makes it useful.
Shape clay into a vessel;
It is the space within that makes it useful.
Cut doors and windows for a room;
It is the holes which make it useful.
Therefore profit comes from what is there;
Usefulness comes from what is not there. "

---------------------------------------

This is by far one of the best examples of Daoism. It explains the 2 sides of everything and encourages attentiveness to the other side, the "negative space", the facets, of the object, situation or what have you.

It's a majority of world thinking that tells us to look at what is there. What can be conquered with force. Daoism, shows and explains to us, that greater success (in life in general) can be had with the practice of "wu wei." (going with the flow)

"The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be rules be interfering."

Take nature for example. Nature has ruled the world since the beginning of time. That is a true rule. It's sustaining. This world that man has created, though we seem to have dominated our surroundings with buildings and freeways and cars and other mechines, it's not sustaining. There is nothing that man can build or has built that can stand up to what we've deemed a "natural disaster."

It's only a natural disaster because it inconveniences the hard, interfering world we've created for ourselves. Would dominion over the planet would last much longer if we worked with what nature has provided to shape our world. Instead of cutting it down.

Hope this helps.

Also Dao 57 and 76 should help you understand also.

Good luck!

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
$haDe

Yah,That was closer
Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
BLEED REBELION!!!

Thank you DAX

*sends ehugs!!

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
korinna5555

Justin can help you.. his Myspace is meistervonseelen, just send him a message and tell him I sent you
He was Daoist for several years.
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote