Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
JCC

Worst fucking news ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._Darko

Does anyone have any shoelaces I can borrow as my favourite film of all time is ***** and defiled?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
DarkenedReveries

That's... completely horrid.
DarkenedReveries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
ThreeEyesOni

Yeah, I heard about this a couple days ago. I'm not really pleased or displeased, I just think it's a bad idea and is pretty much destined for failure.

I barely understand the first movie, and I can't see how you can fit in a 2nd, let alone have that one make any kind of relevant sense.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
badteccy

Oh gosh, that looks like it's gonna be shitty as shit.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Miss Cogs

Hmm...looks like same Donnie Darko story except with a female this time.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
gothicusmaximus

I project that I will like this movie more than I do the original. Because most people instinctively regard sequels to be inferior to earlier installments in a series, this film, although it will likely be inane crap, will probably not be outrageously overrated inane crap as is Donnie Darko, and will therefore fail to inspire in me rage equivalently great to that to which I am spurred by the first movie.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
L'Oiseau Noir

I didn't understand a shred of the first Donnie Darko; and like someone in this thread said, I don't see how they could contrive a sequel. What could they possibly do to fit it in with the first? Just make it more obscure and silly?

But, yes, this is disheartening. However, I don't think it could be any worse than the first (not that I hated the movie, I just couldn't get into it).

I think it's safe to say it'll be terrible.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #8
Miss Cogs

No one really understood that movie? o.O
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:09 AM   #9
Splintered

WTF.

It doesn't have any of the same cast, it's directed by someone different...

WTF?
Old 05-24-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
WTF.

It doesn't have any of the same cast, it's directed by someone different...

WTF?
The rights were bought out so Richard Kelly doesn't have to be involved. Sucks.

@people who don't like Donnie Darko: The whole point of the film was to think. They even established www.donniedarkofilm.com which is one huge puzzle that you have to figure out to find more plot details.

The film is so immaculately crafted that obviously just scratching the surface doesn't wield the greatest results. It presented a different form of cinema, where you hypothesize and think and reflect.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
@people who don't like Donnie Darko: The whole point of the film was to think. They even established www.donniedarkofilm.com which is one huge puzzle that you have to figure out to find more plot details.

The film is so immaculately crafted that obviously just scratching the surface doesn't wield the greatest results. It presented a different form of cinema, where you hypothesize and think and reflect.
JCC, I expected more from you than "What's the matter? Too DEEP for you?"
I've thought extensively on Donnie Darko and am not too dense to comprehend its message. I've viewed of both the original and director's cuts of the film, even flipped through "The Donnie Darko Book", and doing so has informed my conclusion that the story is a moderately entertaining sci-fi adventure, rather than the profound philosophical treatise so many imagine it to be. I was drunk when I called the movie inane crap, it's actually a decent film, just one made worse, as are Invader Zim and Nine Inch Nails, by annoying fans who imagine it the end-all-be-all of motion pictures.
To call movies that force you to think and reflect a 'new' trend begun by Donnie Darko is to make a pretty painfully ignorant statement, especially given that this is essentially a conventional hollywood movie released at a time when ACTUALLY EXPERIMENTAL filmmaking was already firmly established. The movie even references an earlier work from which it borrows much of its thematic elements- Scorcese's Last Temptation. The only contemplation the film requires is that devoted to untangling its twisted plot and byzantine cosmology, and once that task is completed, its philosophical connotations are shallower than those of The Matrix.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
JCC

I didn't mean that it invented a trend. I meant that it conveyed it in a way that I personally feel is unrivalled.

Obviously as with all film, opinions of Donnie Darko will differ greatly, but I think that Darko was fantastic. It wasn't just about philosophy. It was very deeply linked to psychology and sociology also, and I felt that it just did everything brilliantly.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #13
Catch

I'm waiting for the second release of Ultra Violet. Even the comic book doesn't go on after the first one, but in movie land she gets cured and comes back to life.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
DeathToLems

I liked Donnie Darko. The very first time I watched it I had no idea. Then years later it made a bit more sense. Then watching it a few times and wiki'ing the story it made more sense.
the one question I have is, What does "Cellar Door" mean? seriously it boggles my mind.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToLems
I liked Donnie Darko. The very first time I watched it I had no idea. Then years later it made a bit more sense. Then watching it a few times and wiki'ing the story it made more sense.
the one question I have is, What does "Cellar Door" mean? seriously it boggles my mind.
'Cellar Door' was a phrase that JRR Tolkien said in one of his essays on language to be the most beautiful combination of words. Whether that's because it's similar to 'C'est l'adore' or because it just sounds nice I'm not sure.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
'Cellar Door' was a phrase that JRR Tolkien said in one of his essays on language to be the most beautiful combination of words. Whether that's because it's similar to 'C'est l'adore' or because it just sounds nice I'm not sure.
Hmmm. I dunno it still isn't making sense to me.
Ok so my french is rubbish too. What does C'est l'adore mean then?
I know "adore"
Old 05-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #17
DeathToLems

Actually I'm looking forward to seeing the next film. To find out whats happened with the family after Donnie died.
Actually I'm gonna put Donnie Darko on my list of films to watch again.
yup
Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 AM   #18
Wormboy

I didn't care for Donnie Darko. It was mildly amusing, but not all that amazing. My friends all worship that fucking movie and I'm just sitting there with irritation over the plot. I sincerely dislike movies where at the end you learn most of the movie didn't really happen. Yeah, I'm looking your way Beautiful Mind

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:57 AM   #19
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
I didn't care for Donnie Darko. It was mildly amusing, but not all that amazing. My friends all worship that fucking movie and I'm just sitting there with irritation over the plot. I sincerely dislike movies where at the end you learn most of the movie didn't really happen. Yeah, I'm looking your way Beautiful Mind
It did all happen.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #20
Wormboy

Bullshit. After the plane hit the house they go through a long series of events and at the end they show how the plane actually killed him. That's what I got out of it.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #21
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
Bullshit. After the plane hit the house they go through a long series of events and at the end they show how the plane actually killed him. That's what I got out of it.
He sacrificed himself by travelling back through time so that he died, thus saving the people that he cared about from death or suffering.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #22
Apathy's_Child

I didn't get that at all, although I guess it's possible. In fact, it makes sense - the search for God, implying the search for an afterlife, a consequence of being confronted with your own death. It's an interesting interpretation.

I took it as sci-fi though, and an exploration of the consequences of what at first seems the best outcome, but isn't. I liked the film - it managed to deal with issues which have the potential to manifest themselves in a work of pretentious wank. It managed to avoid disappearing up it own ass by keeping its sense of humor.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #23
ThreeEyesOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
He sacrificed himself by travelling back through time so that he died, thus saving the people that he cared about from death or suffering.
Regardless, from the timeline of anyone still alive at the end of the movie, none of it bloody happened. Religion or time paradox, take your pick, but either way the only person who actually did any of it/was involved in any of it is dead.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #24
manequin

OMG! it's like TCM 2 3 and next generation all over again!!! WHat next? A clockwork Orange 2? (If that happens I will eat those responsible.)
manequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #25
ThreeEyesOni

If you're going to compare Darko to Clockword Orange, then I think you might need a little of the old ultraviolence. >_>