Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #26
Beowulf

Hello and welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #27
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillery
I haven't been into Lovecraft too long, about a year is all, but he's brilliant! I'm spacing out the amount of his work that I read because I'll be sad when I've gone through all of it (and I'm getting close ). So there aren't many women into Lovecraft then? I guess I only know a few people and they are all guys.
Lovecraft gets typecast as a writer for teen boys. It's not really fair or accurate but it happened because he wrote for those horror zines aimed at that readership. He never has a female protagonist and he never has a romantic subplot like so many horror writers/movies do. So, there is this stereotype that his fans are all teen boys or men who haven't grown up yet. Someone here on Gnet will probably flame me for saying that because we have a high precentage of Lovecraft fans here...but Gnet isn't an accurate reflection of the general public anyway.

Once you read all his fiction you can always read his excellent essay Supernatural Horror In Literature. Then check out the Lovecraft biography by DeCamp. After that, if you're really interested read Lovecraft's collected letters. There is at least 5 volumes of it. That will keep you busy for a while.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #28
Jillery

Here's wisdom speaking. I appreciate your honesty, but never EVER admit this. If it's not too late, go back and delete it. Remember, it's a messageboard and not a confessional.

Admittedly, rare is the female who enjoys Lovecraft. I take him in the way people suffer toe spasms.

An art major? Who is your favorite artist?
[/quote]

I really have no problem admitting my bad taste in pop music. I don't really care if others don't like or appreciate it. I went through a long period of denial about the music I like when I realized - hey... it cheers me up, makes me happy, who really cares? So I will keep it there because it's true. I hate when people deny things that make them happy. What should I care if no one else likes it? They have their own tastes. Honestly I like all music but rap and country. But... also, I'm really not that into music. Films are what I use to fill my quiet days. Or Tv series (Carnivale, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Arrested Development, X Files, Twilight Zone, Invader Zim, Firefly, Dexter, etc.).

As for art I'm a huge Hieronymus Bosch fan. His art work is absolutely breathtaking. I really appreciate Tim Burton's art style as well. I'd love to get my hands on an original sketch or doodle of his. I'm extremely jealous of Edward Gorey's writing and art. He's brilliant. I like Jhonen Vasquez too. Everyone loves Geiger and for good reason. I really want one of his sculptures.

I have a lot of favorites - mostly what people in this community enjoy. Are you into art at all? If so who do you enjoy? And if you have any "must see" movies please let me know! I'm always trying to find new things to watch!
Jillery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #29
sagicapri25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillery
I'm totally and completely not ready for a baby on the outside! I suppose I'll just have to graduate college... *grumble*

I actually just had a nightmare that I had a kid. It wasn't a fun kind of nightmare... it was the kind where I had to feed it and take care of it! Scary!

I like you. You're funny^_^. Kids really aren't that bad, just ask my little precious!
sagicapri25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #30
HellforgedX

Quote:
Right now I'm obsessing over Lovecraft.
Fantasterrific!

Quote:
Or the theme to the old school Zelda game for NES.
Excellent!

Quote:
11. What's your favorite band? ...Voltaire, The Dresden Dolls,...
I heart V a hella lot! Seen him all 4 times he's been in Tempe, AZ. And if you like Voltaire, you gotta like DD.

Quote:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
Strangely (pun intended) enough, this was actually my sig quote for a couple'a months on here! I heart bustin me some myths!

Welcome to the boards, and don't feel old. I got 4 years on ya.
HAVE a NICE DAY.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:00 AM   #31
Fae-wolf

ANyone who likes Zelda is a friends of mine.
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote