Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
Black Gestalt

Type O appreciation

For them good long bloody kisses. But who can't love them? Type O Negative fans here.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Junk Bond Trader

Oh, all right. I was a little hard on them in the other Type O thread. I overdosed in the early to mid 90s. I'll say this. They're better musically than they give themselves credit for. Conversely, they're not quite as good as their rabid fan base believes they are. If one derives enjoyment from a band's music, who am I to say.

I do think there were great ideas in many of their songs. I think some of the most memorable ones were on October Rust. Lyrically, though, the songs try too hard. Pete is better off when ranting about ex-loves, revenge, and jackhammers over NY metalcore with painfully boring, sludgy interludes.

Musically, for me, they are more attractive from Bloody Kisses onward. But I think lyrically it's a shame to have these atmospheric soundscapes with...let's say...not quite poetic lyrics.

I do appreciate the humor of some of the stuff. It is rather funny. As I said, I just overdosed on them and really don't have alot of interest anymore.
Junk Bond Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
Black Gestalt

Oh, damn, I didn't realize there was a thread on them already. I looked, I thought I remember. Ah well.

October Rust was very good. I don't have any CDs of theirs, so I can't really compare everything on them.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:20 AM   #4
TheKorovaMilkbar

Same here. I don't have any of their cd's yet. But I agree, most of the songs on October Rust were good.

One of my absolute favorite songs (Love You To Death) comes from them, so I have no complaints here.

All in all, I'd say they're a pretty good band. Peter Steele has a very good voice.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
mydnyght

i have to agree with the majority on this one as well. i like a lot of their stuff! however there is some stuff that i don't. i like a lot of "world coming down", and about half of "bloody kisses". i would very much love to hear them add an electronic edge to thier art, and believe this would give them a new dynamic. but hey, maybe they don't want to go there? i'm no muscian...they've gone farthar than i ever will!!
mydnyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
polished_wolf_claws

THey make good Soundtrack music. I mean their albums dont stand well alone *I used to own one album....... Can't remember for the life of me which... had Black No. 1* Their music does well at clubs on holidays.... I mean I expect at least one skin goth to request something by them tonight....

I like their Misfits covers.... their interesting.

"Teh Lordz Satan Protektz me frm ebil in mah PANTS!!!!!11111"
polished_wolf_claws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:29 PM   #7
TheKorovaMilkbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by polished_wolf_claws
Their music does well at clubs...
That's very true. Black No. 1 is good example. Although it's not their best song, it is one that is easy to dance to and long enough as well.

Do you go to any goth clubs Wolf? If so, which one(s)?