Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #26
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
I thought she looked familier! She was the female Q right?
No. Click me.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #27
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
I like the I'm Fucking Matt Damon song:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WLG3S5...eature=related
Which part of that was funny, specifically? I made it to 3 mins 58 before it became too painful to finish. Seriously, please point out which part was funny and let me know exactly where in the clip it occurs, because I can't face watching the whole thing again. I accept the fact that there are enough drooling idiots on this site that there were bound to be a few fans, but you, dude........ you surprise me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Filth
That's either funny or you're stupid.
You forgot the third possibility - that you like shitty comedy.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #28
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
Which part of that was funny, specifically? I made it to 3 mins 58 before it became too painful to finish. Seriously, please point out which part was funny and let me know exactly where in the clip it occurs, because I can't face watching the whole thing again. I accept the fact that there are enough drooling idiots on this site that there were bound to be a few fans, but you, dude........ you surprise me.
She's fucking Matt Damon! I mean, come on!

SHE'S FUCKING MATT DAMON!

Jeez.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #29
Mr. Filth

Quote:

You forgot the third possibility - that you like shitty comedy.
Or that you have a shitty sense of humor. You're probably the type of person that needs to be assisted by a laugh track to know when the jokes are happening.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #30
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
She's fucking Matt Damon! I mean, come on!

SHE'S FUCKING MATT DAMON!

Jeez.
That's it? That's the joke in its entirety? Laaaaaaaaame.

Quote:
Or that you have a shitty sense of humor. You're probably the type of person that needs to be assisted by a laugh track to know when the jokes are happening.
Whoa, what's with the hostility? You already did that one - I was merely pointing to an option you neglected to mention. Could this perhaps be because it's such a glaringly obvious one, you knew it'd stand head and shoulders above the other two on the probability scale? Or is "u need a laugh track!!!!" simply the hip new insult all the cool kids at school are using, in a similar vein to the equally unimaginative "you need a reality check" - i.e. a new sub-branch of unfunny "get a clue" jokes? Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #31
SKULHEDFACE

I strongly dislike Sarah Silverman as well. Whenever I come across her show on Comedy Central I'll try to watch a few minutes of it to hear a joke or punchline, but each time I am left feeling ill. It seems that her material revolves around low grade shit and fart jokes, which I haven't been able to tolerate since I was 13.

Does anyone know if her stand-up is actually good? I mean..she is a real comedian right? I've only ever really seen her on her show or on the edge of other famous people's spotlight.
SKULHEDFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #32
Fae-wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine Heart
She's okay. Not the funniest comidian I've seen, but not the worst.
I feel the same way. Besides, I think she's getting better. I watch the show to kill some time.
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #33
Mr. Filth

Quote:
That's it? That's the joke in its entirety? Laaaaaaaaame.

Whoa, what's with the hostility? You already did that one - I was merely pointing to an option you neglected to mention. Could this perhaps be because it's such a glaringly obvious one, you knew it'd stand head and shoulders above the other two on the probability scale? Or is "u need a laugh track!!!!" simply the hip new insult all the cool kids at school are using, in a similar vein to the equally unimaginative "you need a reality check" - i.e. a new sub-branch of unfunny "get a clue" jokes? Enquiring minds want to know.
I put your and Saya in the same group. People who think comedy has to be deep or intellectually stimulating or they feel embarrassed or insulted when presented with it. You probably think that Dennis Miller is a better comedian because he uses more 5 dollar words and cross references obscure historical events in his comedy, when in reality, his humor is just as innocuous as any other fart joke.

Maybe Sarah isn't your cup of tea, but she's a great comedian. Low brow, but very well delivered. She's more like Ren and Stimpy. Crude and unusual on the outside while still making valid points on pop culture and philosophy at the same time.

It's kind of funny. You try to put her down for being so empty and vacant, when its really yourself that is having trouble digging deeper than what is plainly presented to you. It's called subtlety.

Like the episode where she starts smoking pot and believes she's having great ideas while high so she voice mails herself with her ideas so she can pull them off when she sobers up. Clearly putting down the idea that drugs make people creative. Or the dog licking episode. Obviously, this episode is pointing out how people will horn in on other people's business and project false motives on to others in order to feel better about themselves. But no. All you see is a woman licking a dog's ass.

In a way, people like YOU are the punchline.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:43 AM   #34
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
I put your and Saya in the same group. People who think comedy has to be deep or intellectually stimulating or they feel embarrassed or insulted when presented with it.
Actually, this isn't true. Whilst obviously I appreciate intelligent comedy, I also love South Park (which manages to do both), Ren & Stimpy, and other non-intellectually stimulating stuff. Shit, one of my favorite Pryor moments is the "my monkey died" sketch. It's not the cleverest thing he's ever done by a LONG stretch, but it cracks me up every time.

I've only got one prerequisite for comedy, and it has nothing to do with whether or not it contains fart jokes: I just like it funny.

Quote:
It's kind of funny. You try to put her down for being so empty and vacant, when its really yourself that is having trouble digging deeper than what is plainly presented to you. It's called subtlety.

Like the episode where she starts smoking pot and believes she's having great ideas while high so she voice mails herself with her ideas so she can pull them off when she sobers up. Clearly putting down the idea that drugs make people creative. Or the dog licking episode. Obviously, this episode is pointing out how people will horn in on other people's business and project false motives on to others in order to feel better about themselves. But no. All you see is a woman licking a dog's ass.

In a way, people like YOU are the punchline.
Oh, I love this defense. "The only reason you don't like it is because YOU'RE too stupid to get it!!" Sure, keep telling yourself that "I love you more than Jews love money, I love you more than Asians are good at math" is actually a subtle, deep and hilarious commentary on bigotry and the only reason I didn't laugh like a drain is because I'm a total philistine. In the meantime, since this is apparently a valid assumption to make, I'll simply turn that on you and suggest that perhaps you hold Sarah in such high regard because YOU'RE too stupid to understand genuinely intelligent comedy.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:20 AM   #35
Alarica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULHEDFACE
Does anyone know if her stand-up is actually good? I mean..she is a real comedian right? I've only ever really seen her on her show or on the edge of other famous people's spotlight.
I think her stand up is even worse. Youtube - secret policemans ball 2006. The point of it is for amnesty international, and her entire time on stage made me feel ill. I sat watching it, hoping to god her 'jokes' had a point. I love all kinds of comedy, but she was attempting jokes about child abuse and the starving children in ethiopia with kwashiorkor ffs. The only tv show of hers I saw, was 1 where she thought she had aids. I just find her offensive, and think you really do need to be functioning on the same level as a small child who finds the word 'poo' funny, to find her stuff amusing.
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:18 AM   #36
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarica
you really do need to be functioning on the same level as a small child who finds the word 'poo' funny, to find her stuff amusing.
WTF? Did we just agree on something?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 AM   #37
Alarica

theres a first time for everything I suppose!
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #38
Mr. Filth

Quote:

Oh, I love this defense. "The only reason you don't like it is because YOU'RE too stupid to get it!!" Sure, keep telling yourself that "I love you more than Jews love money, I love you more than Asians are good at math" is actually a subtle, deep and hilarious commentary on bigotry and the only reason I didn't laugh like a drain is because I'm a total philistine. In the meantime, since this is apparently a valid assumption to make, I'll simply turn that on you and suggest that perhaps you hold Sarah in such high regard because YOU'RE too stupid to understand genuinely intelligent comedy.
Now who's being hostile? It isn't that you're too stupid as much as it is you having your head up your ass.The problem with your defense is that I am also capable of appreciating the "genuinely intelligent comedy' that you are most likely referring to.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #39
Apathy's_Child

And the problem with yours was that I'm perfectly capable of enjoying childish humor, on the proviso that it's actually funny. Did you not get that my defense consisted of reflecting your own unfounded assumption back at you, at which point you yourself denounced it as flawed?

Also, I don't believe you. You're probably going to tell me you don't care 'cause you don't have to justify yourself to me blah blah, with much puffing out of your chest - but we both know that's a lie, since you just felt the need to inform me that you also like intelligent comedy.

And I'm not hostile. I'm just a self-righteous fascist.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #40
Mr. Filth

I would never claim being too big to justify myself. Sarah Silverman is hysterical. I'll leave it at "You're just jealous of her" as that's just as good as any argument you've presented.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #41
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
I would never claim being too big to justify myself. Sarah Silverman is hysterical. I'll leave it at "You're just jealous of her" as that's just as good as any argument you've presented.
Why yes, yes I am. Ever since I was a kid, I've wished I were a Jewish female comedian who got fired by fax from my first job on saturday Night Live before even airing a single show. I know it's never going to happen for me, but I just want it so damn much, it's stopped me from building an adequate life for myself. I've developed a heroin habit in an attempt to kill the pain, but it's not working. Nothing works.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #42
Saya

Bahahahaha, I never was accused of having a bad sense of humour or needed deep and intellectual comedy to make me laugh. I was high as a kite when I first saw her show. When I'm high saying "tricycle pants" to me will make me split a side open. Thats just a testament to how bad she is.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #43
a morbid curiosity

I hate Sarah Silverman, her voice gives me a headache.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:22 AM   #44
Apathy's_Child

I'd totally do her, but it would have to be a hatefuck.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:48 AM   #45
masquerade

Sometimes she's funny, most of the time it's one of those blank stare moments. If I was drunk though she'd be amazing.
masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:38 AM   #46
Disaffected Shoelaces

Big surprise - I come back after several months, and one of the first threads I read is Apathy being a judgmental asshole.

I've missed you, you self-righteous prick.

Oh, and I'd never heard of Sarah Silverman until now, so I lookedher up on youtube. She didn't seem THAT bad - some of it was mediocre, but a couple of bits were quite amusing. I only watched about 3 clips though.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #47
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaffected Shoelaces
Big surprise - I come back after several months, and one of the first threads I read is Apathy being a judgmental asshole.

I've missed you, you self-righteous prick.

Oh, and I'd never heard of Sarah Silverman until now, so I lookedher up on youtube. She didn't seem THAT bad - some of it was mediocre, but a couple of bits were quite amusing. I only watched about 3 clips though.
Shut the fuck up and get in my lap, you insolent little bitch!

How's tricks - are you staying around? It's awesome to see you, I was starting to think you'd crawled up Shane MacGowan's ass and died or something. We missed you, JCC's been pining away.

As for Sarah Silverman - it's ALL mediocre, as far as I've seen. Either there's a goldmine of hilarious material which comes as a reward for those who persevere and look for it, or you were stoned. If you were actually amused I'm willing to bet you were smoking when you watched.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #48
Disaffected Shoelaces

Quote:
Shut the fuck up and get in my lap, you insolent little bitch!
No fair, you know I can't resist a man who orders me around in a verbally abusive manner!

Quote:
How's tricks - are you staying around? It's awesome to see you, I was starting to think you'd crawled up Shane MacGowan's ass and died or something. We missed you, JCC's been pining away.
Tricks is pretty good, ta. I missed you guys too - that's why I came back to harass you. You'd best appreciate the effort. Shane's arse crack was like a womb.

Quote:
As for Sarah Silverman - it's ALL mediocre, as far as I've seen. Either there's a goldmine of hilarious material which comes as a reward for those who persevere and look for it, or you were stoned. If you were actually amused I'm willing to bet you were smoking when you watched.
Okay, I might have been having a SLIGHT bit of a joint at the time. However that's neither here nor there - you don't care how stoned I am if I tell you one of your poems is good, you bloody hypocrite.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #49
JCC

Shane MacGowan was on TV earlier, a video of him performing Fairytale In New York. I remembered when you said that you wanted to fuck him and a part of me died inside. It was a pretty considerable chunk of me, too.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #50
LiquidEcstasy

I don't hate her, but Sarah Silverman does not strike me as exceptionally funny. She has a sense of humour, I'll give her that. But she doesn't have those sort of jokes that make you laugh out loud until your sides hurt.

I noticed her interview with Jonathon Ross was very awkward and most of her jokes didn't go down well with the audiance, and when she featured on a panel show (the name escapes me) she seemed a bit out of her depth.

My point is that, though I've seen worse comedians, she is extremely over hyped.
LiquidEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote