Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #26
Despanan

At one time, these people conquered the world:

Le Sigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #27
Still Jack

What I found hilarious, is that during the knife amnesty, they had wheelybins in front of police stations designed for people to dump their unwanted pointy objects there. During said knife amnesty, some of said wheelybins were stolen.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #28
zerademark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
Don't use foreign languages if you can't employ them without making mistakes. It's a pet peeve of mine. It should be "Au contraire". Conard...
Thank you very much for the correction Mr Jack. I just had a "sudden" impulse to write that because it fitted in just correctly. Atleast you corrected it, instead of laughing like the others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothicusmaxicus
When I see an ordinary knife, I experience no impulse that could potentially bring harm to myself or another. However, when I see these knives, I want to grab them and stab someone repeatedly in order to evaluate how 'anti-stab' they really are. They're actually more dangerous.
Never had the fanfasy of slicing your bullies throath? Fantasies counts.
3 It is not "You and me", instead it is "Me and you". At the same time "M" is capitalized.
zerademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 AM   #29
Needlefeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
What I found hilarious, is that during the knife amnesty, they had wheelybins in front of police stations designed for people to dump their unwanted pointy objects there. During said knife amnesty, some of said wheelybins were stolen.
Haha, that would've been an awesome haul.
Who the hell does a knife amnesty?
Needlefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #30
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerademark View Post
Never had the fanfasy of slicing your bullies throath? Fantasies counts.
I don't have 'bullies'. Not that I would experience morbid fantasies of gruesomely maiming a guy who tried to steal my lunch money, or whatever bullies do.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #31
Stabby

Oh noes guise!!! We need to take away kitchen knives so no one gets kildededed!!! Also we need to be very very afraid of the dangerous sharpened popsicle sticks.

These are only really meant to stop someone from getting stabbed in the chest. If you stab someone in the neck you'll still fuck their shit up cuz its a thin metaly object.

With this knife you'll still be prone to normal kitchen accidents (the majority of them involve getting cut with the tip or the blade) It would only really protect you from accidently stabbing yourself with the blade when washing dishes or dropping it on your foot or something.
Stabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #32
Delkaetre

As a current resident of England and someone remarkably fond of the country despite its governance and its advisory bodies (who, let's face it, mean very little these days), I would like to point out that this in no way represents the English populace as a whole, only knife-crime pressure groups and related unsubstantiated viewpoints.

Most of like having and will continue to have normal knives, as they are generally more effective and look better when slicing up a Sunday roast dinner.
It's getting to the point where official advice is generally treated with mild indulgence, as one indulges a child claiming to see leprechauns. We listen, smile, nod and then ignore, just as we do with their advice on drugs, alcohol, diet, and spying on our neighbours to prevent terrorism.

It's only really when they actually arrest and violently beat us that we pay them any attention. And most people don't go to protests that often.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #33
emeraldlonewoulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Not yet anyway. I wouldn't be too surprised though if after a few months of people lobbying for "safety" Britain outlaws regular knives and suddenly british chefs are forced to buy inferior knives for exorbitant prices.

I mean this is the same country that outlawed the Bat'leth, and now only outlaws will have Bat'leth's.

wow. just... *jaw drop*

also, thanks for the tempering with reason and experience of the culture, Delkatere.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #34
viscus

Quote:
Not yet anyway. I wouldn't be too surprised though if after a few months of people lobbying for "safety" Britain outlaws regular knives and suddenly british chefs are forced to buy inferior knives for exorbitant prices.

I mean this is the same country that outlawed the Bat'leth, and now only outlaws will have Bat'leth's.
Be careful with that slippery slope fallacy, you might hurt yourself.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #35
Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
As a current resident of England and someone remarkably fond of the country despite its governance and its advisory bodies (who, let's face it, mean very little these days), I would like to point out that this in no way represents the English populace as a whole, only knife-crime pressure groups and related unsubstantiated viewpoints.

Most of like having and will continue to have normal knives, as they are generally more effective and look better when slicing up a Sunday roast dinner.
It's getting to the point where official advice is generally treated with mild indulgence, as one indulges a child claiming to see leprechauns. We listen, smile, nod and then ignore, just as we do with their advice on drugs, alcohol, diet, and spying on our neighbours to prevent terrorism.

It's only really when they actually arrest and violently beat us that we pay them any attention. And most people don't go to protests that often.
I hope most people don't apply these things to all of England. Some may have oversimplified, but that happens....
Its not really fair though its like saying all Christians are like the wholly evil Westboro Baptist Church
Stabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #36
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus View Post
Be careful with that slippery slope fallacy, you might hurt yourself.
It's not a slippery slope unless I say that these knives shouldn't exist because that will happen. I'm saying that these knives shouldn't exist because they are stupid, and I'm also saying that, knowing the British, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.
Quote:
Old 06-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #37
Delkaetre

Quote:
It's not a slippery slope unless I say that these knives shouldn't exist because that will happen. I'm saying that these knives shouldn't exist because they are stupid, and I'm also saying that, knowing the British legislative and executive arms of government, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.
I fixed it for you.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #38
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
I fixed it for you.
Thanks, you are correct, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was lumping every British person together. Sorry.
Quote:
Old 06-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #39
Godslayer Jillian

Slippery slope fallacy doesn't require you to claim to be a freaking prophet.

They'll allow gays to marry? Where could that lead?! Could I marry my dog?!!

Look closely how it doesn't say it will lead to that.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #40
Despanan

You would be correct, IF I was using that as an argument against the knives. I'm not objecting to the knives because the British government could make them manditory, I'm objecting to the knives because they are fucking stupid.
Quote:
Old 06-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #41
Godslayer Jillian

I'm not arguing that; I'm just arguing about logical fallacies.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #42
Delkaetre

All this reminds me, actually. I need to go out and buy some cookware.
Scales, decent pyrex bowl, couple of good knives, measuring jug, wooden spoon...
Old 06-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #43
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
I'm not arguing that; I'm just arguing about logical fallacies.
Oh, well then you're correct.
Quote: