Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Graveyard.Crow

is there more to life than

Getting born, going to school, then eventually getting a job or whatever else you want to do with your time, get married/date then procreate so your kids can do basically the same thing
I hope that's not all there is to life but right now I'm emerging from my childhood and the "real world" looks pretty bleak. Sure there are things to do in between all those major points, but is this all there is to life?
I really want to see things differently but I'm going to need some help.
Help people in black help! XD
Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah, there is. There is feeling you're taking your life back. There is being an individual through being a part of your community. There is making a living out of things that fulfill you; retrieve your labor as work rather than as revenue. There is renouncing as much consumerism as possible and supporting and opening alternative creative outlets to all those who feel the same, to all those who ask the same question: "isn't there more to life than this?"

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow View Post
Getting born, going to school, then eventually getting a job or whatever else you want to do with your time, get married/date then procreate so your kids can do basically the same thing
I hope that's not all there is to life but right now I'm emerging from my childhood and the "real world" looks pretty bleak. Sure there are things to do in between all those major points, but is this all there is to life?
I really want to see things differently but I'm going to need some help.
Help people in black help! XD
I missed you.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
Deadmanwalking_05

Life is what you make of it.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
"getting a job" doesn't have to be something you don't enjoy. For example, blackwater1110 makes jewelry and other art using welding (if I remember correctly, I may be thinking of another member). My "job" gives me opportunities to travel and meet people, and I enjoy people. Even when I do not travel I talk to people every day on the phone, and get to meet new people that way too. I also enjoy charity work, it is very fulfilling to be part of something good that is larger than yourself. My sister is a clinical research assistant and is helping scientists find cures for pancreatic cancer and Alzheimer's etc. She is helping mankind, but also enjoys slicing donated brains, working with patients with strange behavior (senile dementia) too.

EternalCrimson is a stage actor, Gothic.net admins this website for goths and writers, there are many here who have cool "jobs".

You seem to enjoy modeling, why don't you pursue that as a career you enjoy?

As for kids, wait as long as possible, believe me, because once they come along your priorities change and then you have to do whatever it takes to provide for them, that is usually when some people get stuck in jobs they don't like because they have to be the breadwinner.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
Malice In Wonderland

I will never procreate.
That way I never have to listen to my kids ask me this question over and over until I give them the answer they want.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Tam Li Hua

Yes, there is. =) There's finding the music that makes you feel like you aren't alone, there's cuddling with your sweetie on the sofa while watching a fun movie, there's finding the hobby/career that you can really invest yourself in...and so on and so forth.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Disaffected Shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
Yeah, there is. There is feeling you're taking your life back. There is being an individual through being a part of your community. There is making a living out of things that fulfill you; retrieve your labor as work rather than as revenue. There is renouncing as much consumerism as possible and supporting and opening alternative creative outlets to all those who feel the same, to all those who ask the same question: "isn't there more to life than this?"
All really good advice. There are also things like overseas aid work, to show you the world while you do something good for it. You'll probably come back feeling lucky to have had the luxury of questioning whether everything we have in the west is "all" there is. After university this is what I want to do, even if it's only for a year or two.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaffected Shoelaces View Post
All really good advice. There are also things like overseas aid work, to show you the world while you do something good for it. You'll probably come back feeling lucky to have had the luxury of questioning whether everything we have in the west is "all" there is. After university this is what I want to do, even if it's only for a year or two.
Working overseas is an amazing experience! I wish you all the luck in the world with your endeavors. =)
Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
Disaffected Shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
Working overseas is an amazing experience! I wish you all the luck in the world with your endeavors. =)
Thanks. I plan on accumulating animpressive array of cheesecloth skirts.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Graveyard.Crow

Well I already know what I want to do, film acting. I do have favourite music, I love to read and dance and sing and...well lots of things
but I don't know, everything feels llike it's spinning in the same circle. Then when I proclaim that I want to be different and never have kids, someone adult tells me "they all say that"
this makes me think that when I hit 30, some big force is going to force me to have kids wether I want to or not. Ugghhh
Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
Taking my life back, well said, and so true. I'm still fighting really hard to do that.

I was arguing with my brother about how the notion that everyone "has" to have kids pisses me off, and he told me that I'll be alone if I won't have kids. Wtf? am I the only one who thinks that's sickening?
so I pretty much have no choice right? If I don't squese out a few puppies it's the end of it all. Grrrr If I'm going to try to rebel in any major way in life it will be this. I refuse to multiply.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
Tam Li Hua

Neither my husband nor I have any desire for children. Your brother is an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
Corpsey

Why such an intimate dislike of having children?

There's plenty of other things to do to make your own way in life instead of just refusing to procreate.

That "big force" will probably just be life experience showing you how plenty of other people's lives have turned out.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
JCC

There are films.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #16
Corpsey

Your eyes will serve as better teachers than films candering to one aspect of life.

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
JCC

Whatever you said had something to do with films not being the best thing in the world.

What you just said is wrong.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #18
Corpsey

Films are incidentally not the best thing in the world. I spent two years studying Film & Screen acting to only learn everything negative about such an industry. When you perform on Film, a piece of glass is your audience that will filter out all of your work, edit it, photoshop it, twist and contort your work to make it follow the ideas or perspectives of another man, removing most forms of interpretation from an Audience.

It effectively disenfranchises the Actors experience in return for cash. A glass screen with the rest of the crew does not equate to an audience. Only a live stage audience can produce such a profound affect on said actor/actress. It allows for subtle changes in the performance, reaction timing from said audience and a greater experience for both viewer and performer.

Stage performances always differ from one another, even on back to back evenings. Films will always stay the same boring way no matter how many times they switch from VHS -> DVD -> Blue Ray -> Whatever.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #19
JCC

Films are the best thing in the world.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
Corpsey

Keeping saying that. It'll be repeditive. Like a film.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #21
Graveyard.Crow

I plan to be a film actress. Sorry but stage doesn't resonate with me. I want to be in the big vicious industry selling my soul because I also believe that films are the best thing in the world. That's beside the point.
I just want to for once hear from an adult that not everyone has to magically decide to have kids. I'm glad to read a married person's post. I do want to have a life long partner, and we can have cats, maybe, but kids, fuck no. It's not to rebel, but it will be seen as such. I just don't want to ever be a mother, nor do I want to decide to be a mother. I have had so many nightmares already over the years in which I was randomly pregnant and the abortion place wasn't anywhere to be found.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #22
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
Keeping saying that. It'll be repeditive. Like a film.
live preformances are repeated as well.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #23
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow View Post
Taking my life back, well said, and so true. I'm still fighting really hard to do that.

I was arguing with my brother about how the notion that everyone "has" to have kids pisses me off, and he told me that I'll be alone if I won't have kids. Wtf? am I the only one who thinks that's sickening?
so I pretty much have no choice right? If I don't squese out a few puppies it's the end of it all. Grrrr If I'm going to try to rebel in any major way in life it will be this. I refuse to multiply.
I wonder if there's some movement based on not having spawn with intention to cut down the human population.
If not, I will start one.

EDIT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinatalism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunta...ction_movement
Score.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #24
Graveyard.Crow

Spawn is such a funny word. Holy crap, I am so going to read further into those. Thank you!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #25
Godslayer Jillian

Antinatalism? What a bunch of bourgeois bullshit.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote