Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #51
devereaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Save the preaching for the classroom.
Then stop talking out of your ass.

Global warming and the rise of sea levels probably won't affect your quality of life in modern Canada. The only way it might affect you personally is that there might be some sort of levy or tax that you might have to pay at some point. You don't like that, we get it.
devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #52
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
I thought India was in Asia.
It is, but if I were to mention Asia alone then very few would think of India as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik
Save the preaching for the classroom.
So now that someone knows a little bit about the worlds patterns on climate change decides to mention something you decide to stick your head in the sand?

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #53
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
It is, but if I were to mention Asia alone then very few would think of India as well.

So now that someone knows a little bit about the worlds patterns on climate change decides to mention something you decide to stick your head in the sand?
Is this a web forum or a court room?
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #54
JCC

Quote:
Is this a web forum or a court room?
You've been saying some remarkably stupid things, stop whinging about the fact that you're under pressure here and learn something, man.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #55
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
You've been saying some remarkably stupid things, stop whinging about the fact that you're under pressure here and learn something, man.
The only thing I've been saying is my opinion... and the only thing I've been pressured to do is research, last time I checked, I'm neither in your classroom or on your paychecks.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #56
JCC

Quote:
The only thing I've been saying is my opinion
Are we participating in the same fucking discussion here? I've been having to prove you wrong on your idiotic claims of the viability of hydrogen being firmly established, that claim is not an opinion.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #57
Maverick

Quote:
Are we participating in the same fucking discussion here? I've been having to prove you wrong on your idiotic claims of the viability of hydrogen being firmly established, that claim is not an opinion.
Yet you still ignore my posted links which prove that it can, and has been done... Am I'm the idiot *shakes head*
Old 12-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #58
JCC

Quote:
Yet you still ignore my posted links which prove that it can, and has been done... Am I'm the idiot *shakes head*
You posted links that show the complete replacement of carbon by hydrogen in the transport industry has been done? Because that's what I was talking about, not a fucking Japanese train or a prototype car.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #59
Maverick

Quote:
You posted links that show the complete replacement of carbon by hydrogen in the transport industry has been done? Because that's what I was talking about, not a fucking Japanese train or a prototype car.
It shows it can be done, and will be a viable alternative to fossil fuels.

They had a road worthy car in 1966 so, remind me again why we're still driving on gasoline?

If you want to denigrate this into a flame war, then carry on. I won't be responding to any more inflammatory posting.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #60
JCC

Quote:
It shows it can be done, and will be a viable alternative to fossil fuels.

They had a road worthy car in 1966 so, remind me again why we're still driving on gasoline?
BECAUSE ONE GODDAMN CAR DOES NOT MAKE A SOLUTION FOR A BILLION. I can't believe I am having to explain this concept to somebody.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #61
Maverick

Quote:
BECAUSE ONE GODDAMN CAR DOES NOT MAKE A SOLUTION FOR A BILLION.

Same was said about the electric car... and now look at the market. Everyone is flocking to make the next "energy efficient" vehicle.

Just because it hasn't been done yet, doesn't mean it can't.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #62
JCC

Quote:
Same was said about the electric car... and now look at the market. Everyone is flocking to make the next "energy efficient" vehicle.

Just because it hasn't been done yet, doesn't mean it can't.
I didn't say that it can't be done, I'm saying that it hasn't been done because there is no way to do it efficiently or safely yet, and the fact that they have made a single car that works on hydrogen fuel cells and a monorail that works on hydrogen fuel cells is not a solution.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #63
Maverick

Quote:
I didn't say that it can't be done, I'm saying that it hasn't been done because there is no way to do it efficiently or safely yet, and the fact that they have made a single car that works on hydrogen fuel cells and a monorail that works on hydrogen fuel cells is not a solution.
How would you know if there is no way to do it? Do you run a research lead doing just this?

No. You're on Gnet.

It's speculation that they can't mass produce yet, and it's speculation that they can.

All I'm saying is that if they've known about the technology for more than 40 years, they would have gotten it done if they wanted it done. Look at the internet for christ sake.

I doubt things could get much more complicated than that.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #64
JCC

Quote:
How would you know if there is no way to do it? Do you run a research lead doing just this?

No. You're on Gnet.

It's speculation that they can't mass produce yet, and it's speculation that they can.

All I'm saying is that if they've known about the technology for more than 40 years, they would have gotten it done if they wanted it done. Look at the internet for christ sake.

I doubt things could get much more complicated than that.
You are way too fucking dense for this argument to be worth it.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #65
Maverick

Quote:
You are way too fucking dense for this argument to be worth it.
Here's a link even you'll understand, sums you up pretty well I think...
Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #66
JCC

Great joke bro.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #67
Equivalence

Quote:
Well, for a world that is bleeding out money to find a way to stop pumping CO2 into the atmosphere, they certainly aren't very quick about developing either hydrogen OR electric cars.
No, they're not. Mostly because oil and gasoline are cheaper than electric and hydrogen by a vast scale, and we have an even more extensive infrastructure for that, than we do for electricity.

Quote:
So where are all the electric cars? (Not Hybrids, btw.)
Why don't hybrids count? They are proto-electric cars. Oh, wait, because then that'd totally destroy your point.

Oh, I'm sorry.
Equivalence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #68
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equivalence View Post
No, they're not. Mostly because oil and gasoline are cheaper than electric and hydrogen by a vast scale, and we have an even more extensive infrastructure for that, than we do for electricity.

Why don't hybrids count? They are proto-electric cars. Oh, wait, because then that'd totally destroy your point.

Oh, I'm sorry.
2nd point: I'm talking about eliminating carbon emissions period, that would include the use of Hybrids...

1st point: It may be cheaper, yes... but then why is everyone throwing money away at trying to find out ways to curb global warming, when they could take the money they're flushing and put it towards alternative fuel development?

It just doesn't make sense... Let's burn an arbitrary amount of money to prove that Global Warming exists, then cry foul on alternative fuels because they're too expensive to invest in?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #69
Equivalence

Quote:
2nd point: I'm talking about eliminated carbon emissions period, that would include the use of Hybrids...

1st point: It may be cheaper, yes... but then why is everyone throwing money away at trying to find out ways to curb global warming, when they could take the money they're flushing and put it towards alternative fuel development?

It just doesn't make sense... Let's burn an arbitrary amount of money to prove that Global Warming exists, then cry foul on alternative fuels because they're too expensive to invest in?
Very few investors are crying foul because alternative fuels are too expensive. They're crying foul because their money won't have the same immediate pay-off that investing in oil does. A gallon of oil today will pretty much only increase in price, whereas hydrogen won't yield a payoff until a decade or so from now.

Now, a lot of investors are putting money in to alternative forms of large scale generation, like nuclear reactors, solar arrays, wind farms, geothermal energy, and the like. This will build the electrical infrastructure to run electric cars.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #70
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equivalence View Post
Very few investors are crying foul because alternative fuels are too expensive. They're crying foul because their money won't have the same immediate pay-off that investing in oil does. A gallon of oil today will pretty much only increase in price, whereas hydrogen won't yield a payoff until a decade or so from now.

Now, a lot of investors are putting money in to alternative forms of large scale generation, like nuclear reactors, solar arrays, wind farms, geothermal energy, and the like. This will build the electrical infrastructure to run electric cars.
I have no beef with electric cars...

It's just short-sighted to see value in oil, with it being a short-term (in the large perspective) investment. Seeing as once all the oil is used up, that's all there is.

So as people as whole, for the sake of the planet and covering our asses for the future... We should be investing in a "renewable" fuel... I mean, still develop electricity, but develop other forms as well. It gives more of a free market, and less threat over monopolizing supplies for one thing or another.

Nuclear energy for example, is a hot-button issue... It's only a step away from nuclear enrichment and we all know how that will turn out.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #71
Equivalence

Quote:
I have no beef with electric cars...

It's just short-sighted to see value in oil, with it being a short-term (in the large perspective) investment. Seeing as once all the oil is used up, that's all there is.
It's short sighted, but it's a smart investment. Let's say I buy 100 barrels of oil at $70 per barrel (today's current price). If the price of oil goes up to $80 per barrel, then I'll have made $1,000 from my initial investment. That's a vastly higher and faster return than electricity or hydrogen could give me. If I buy up 10,000 barrels of oil, and the same thing happens, I make $100,000 from a simple $10 increase.

Quote:
So as people as whole, for the sake of the planet and covering our asses for the future... We should be investing in a "renewable" fuel... I mean, still develop electricity, but develop other forms as well. It gives more of a free market, and less threat over monopolizing supplies for one thing or another.

Nuclear energy for example, is a hot-button issue... It's only a step away from nuclear enrichment and we all know how that will turn out.
I whole heartedly agree with you. However, that isn't how modern economic works. A quick, high return will always beat out a potentially higher return at a much longer forecast.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #72
JCC

We got from me embarrassing this guy for being an uninformed asshole to you agreeing with him in the space of like four posts. Stop fucking with a perfectly satisfactory result, Equivalence.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #73
Equivalence

Quote:
We got from me embarrassing this guy for being an uninformed asshole to you agreeing with him in the space of like four posts. Stop fucking with a perfectly satisfactory result, Equivalence.
I am trying to decide how much of your post (if any) is sarcasm, and I think my brain exploded.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #74
JCC

None of it is sarcasm, five posts ago this guy had no argument and was saying "OH EM GEE I DIDN'T REALISE THIS WAS A COURTROOM" and "INTERNET = SRS BSNS" as a way of diverting attention from the fact that he is a walking fucking tumour, and now you're like "I agree but modern economics doesn't work that way..." Don't legitimise this fucking airhead.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #75
Maverick

Quote:
None of it is sarcasm, five posts ago this guy had no argument and was saying "OH EM GEE I DIDN'T REALISE THIS WAS A COURTROOM" and "INTERNET = SRS BSNS" as a way of diverting attention from the fact that he is a walking fucking tumour, and now you're like "I agree but modern economics doesn't work that way..." Don't legitimise this fucking airhead.

Your age is showing,