Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
carakitty

hair goop

what do you like using in your hair? i am looking for goop to do the 'shattered' look, and need an aerosol spray to tease with. thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
ape descendant

Instead of hairspray, you may try some sort of chunking pomade. That will leave the hair a little softer, instead of hard and crunchy.

When I need hardcore hold, I use unflavored gelatin...that's more for spiking and hawks..

I usually avoid hairspray if I can as it gets in my nose and is all smelly for hours afterwards.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Saya

I like pomade too. I got a tube of styling gel right now and it doesn't have the same hold as pomade did.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
carakitty

Is pomade good for doing everything?
What is a good kind to get? I'm clueless
Old 08-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
ape descendant

It depends on what all you want to do, I had to google "shattered look" to figure out what you were going for... the look seemed a little varied. I could give you a more definite answer if you could give me a better idea of what you're going for specifically.

Be Kind
Old 08-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
carakitty

LOL sadly, I don't know! I was just going to get some product and play with it when I could find the time. I've never really styled short hair before so have no idea what to do.

I've watched a couple youtube videos about teasing and am curious to try that.

For the 'shattered' thing my stylist told be to get some product in my hands, distribute it evenly, and let the hair do what ever it wants (basically)
Old 08-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Saya

I used got2b pomade, its a cheaper brand and it works fine. I only stopped using it because the company got bought out by another company that does test on animals, although the product in question still isn't tested (their website says they only do it when legally required by the other products they make), but I'm still not sure how to feel about it.

What I do is rub the pomade in my hands and then run my hands through my hair and style it the way I want that way, sometimes I do this twice if I want it to be really messy looking, most times I just want my hair to stay put. I'm not entirely sure either what you mean by shattered but I think what you want to do is just use the pomade in your hair like you would make something out of clay, rub it in your hair and then you can just twist and shape your hair the way you want.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
ape descendant

got2b is what I used to kinda chunk up my bangs in this new avitar pic.

Be Kind
Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
carakitty

Thanks Saya + AD.
Will probably hit up Ulta the minute my next school break starts, because they have drugstore and the salon brands in the same store.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
carakitty

Went to the mall with my girl today and got my goop. The SA at the store I went to sold me Joico Creme Wax. It was a couple bucks cheaper than the Bed Head stuff. I played a little with it today but I don't know if I'm going to like it. I might have used too much. Feels like a case of build up already. Didn't have lots of time to play so I just sculpted my bangs and part a little so it wasn't hanging in my face anymore. Must wash and try some more tomorrow. Oh, and can I use these pomade things for teasing, or should I 'invest' in some good ol' Aqua Net? LOL
Old 08-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
Saya

Did you rub it into your hands first or did you rub it directly into your hair? It makes a big difference with preventing the build up. I do this when my hair is still wet, and if you want to do something drastic with it you might want to do this twice (rub in hands, then rub in hair, then repeat) but you can experiment with that to see which give your desired results.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
carakitty

Yes, I rubbed it in my hands first, but my hair was dry. This stuff is pretty darn thick and well, um, waxy!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #13
Swest

Murray's Original Pomade.
Swest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
carakitty

Thanks Swest. Might go looking for that after what I just bought runs out
Old 09-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
Pineapple_Juice

If you really want to tease it right ('cause you said you werte interested), it's not so much the product as it is the style. My hairdresser gave me a Mrs. Brady haircut by accident and I was bummed until I realized more layers means bigger hair. I just have to straighten it otherwise it curls into a big mushroom in my head. I love Aqwuanet but I noticed lately that it's not working so well. More making my hair texturized than actually sticking it together, maybe they changed the formula?
Nyway in the early years of college I think I'd do a litttle of both of what you're saying. I would rat it with the aquanet and thenturn my head upside down and use some pomade to make it look pieces and everywhere and blowdry it a little. Then turn right side up and tease again. If you have thin hair try not to use too much product though 'cause it'll weight your hair down. i know cuz i have thin hair. layers.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
carakitty

Thanks for the tips PJ! Hope to get the chance to have a good effort at playing with it over the next couple weeks.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #17
erotomaniac87

Just stop washing your hair and the sebaceous glands on your scalp will do all the work for you.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
carakitty

No way. I hate stinky oily hair.
Besides, I have my head in kennels quite frequently.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #19
DarkestSunrise

Got2B Glued Blasting Freeze Spray in the massive yellow bottle (with the really cheesy-looking people on the can and little cone around the spray nozzle) is good for teasing and keeping your hair big and holding texture. I already had regular hairsprays so I wasn't sure if I needed this but it has serious hold and it seems good for texture as well. I'm not good at describing hair product I guess, but I find that it works better than hairspray for when I want my hair to stay "up." heh... Oh, also, for when you are teasing big sections of hair try using a round brush! I use a comb for the sections closest to my face and the ones that might show but for the bottom and middle layers to get the biggest ratty sections I've been using a round brush with lots of closely-packed bristles. Just brush it backwards along the section of hair a few times and it clumps right up. Then use the comb again to smooth it.
DarkestSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #20
carakitty

thanks for the tips!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #21
Boris_The_Fop

whenever I actually do my hair I use Tresemme tres two hairspray and gatsby moving rubber in the green container. tressemme works really well and is very affordable, gatsby is also really cheap and you can usually find it in asian marketplaces or ebay. also I heard that got2b pomade is really good too.
(also when using gatsby a tiny bit goes a long way, so if you plan on styling your hair don't use a whole bunch)
Boris_The_Fop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #22
DarkestSunrise

When you use pomade,try to avoid the roots as it will weigh your hair down. You can even try just applying it to the ends of your hair and twisting little bits of it into tips and then messing it up to get that piece-y effect.
DarkestSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote