Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
bloomerbrigade

Soon Emos & Goths illegal in Russia !!

Whole article here: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/articl.../42/368995.htm

According to The Moscow Times, the Russian government is in the process of drafting a law to make emo and goth music illegal.

Last month a parliamentary committee was convened to discuss a draft proposal of the Russian government's "Government Strategy In The Sphere Of Spiritual And Ethical Education" bill, the details of which were leaked to The Moscow Times. Among other measures, the proposed legislation calls for heavy regulation of emo web sites and for banning young people dressed like emos from entering schools and government buildings.

The bill also outlines what it calls a "spiritual and ethical crisis" facing Russian youth, including the high rate of alcohol abuse, teen abortions and "negative youth movements."

Emo ideology encourages and justifies drug use and sexual relations among minors, according to the bill, which also lumps emos and goths together with skinheads.

"The point of the bill is so that by 2020, Moscow will have someone to rule its government," said Alexander Grishunin, an adviser to Public Chamber member Yevgeny Yuryev, one of the bill's three coordinators. "This is the first step in the public discourse."

The bill's sponsors hope that it will be passed into law by the end of the year.
bloomerbrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Minyaliel

WHAT THE FUCK?! I mean, sure, Russian government seemed rather uppity when I was there in April, but surely they can't do that. It'd be breaking the human rights. Free speach and all that. Holy hell, they'd better not. I mean, I'm moving there in a few years, damn them.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
bloomerbrigade

I know! Isn't this the 21st century? The idea of people being repressed in such a manner is ridiculous and it makes me sick.

Then again though my religion [Jehovah's Witnesses] was banned in Moscow in 2004 for the same exact reason as they're doing this ban against goths/emos -- the "Government Strategy In The Sphere Of Spiritual And Ethical Education" bill. But, that's all I'll say about that lest we drag religion into this topic [which I don't really want]. All I can say is, apparently it's not the 21st century up there.

It's so not right that the government thinks it can choose such personal aspects of people's lives for them.
bloomerbrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Duane

TIME TO GOFF IT UP TO HELL, AND GO TA RUSSIA!!!Meh... or just ... eh.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Minyaliel

Actually, being a goth tourist in Russia was a rather strange experience. My school went to St. Petersburg. I was scared shitless by its reputation, and tried looking as scary and off- putting as possible, to be honest, and was always wearing very sharp spikes in case someone'd try to rob me or something. Combined with a flaming red mohawk... well, people either stared, started giggling uncontrollably or ignored me if they passed me in the street. The Russian border control is like something that escaped out of Nazi Germany, by the way. Holy hell, I almost peed my pants. I've never met any officer on a border who was so rude and unpleasant before in my entire life. If the government works the same way... hum. Well. I'll survive my student life and move somewhere else, I guess. No offense to any Russians on here, by the way. When we first arrived there I was truly fascinated (even though I didn't dare going outside without the company of at least one male friend). It's a beautiful place really, only odd because somehow it seems so modern, but then again it seems to be stuck in the late 70's or in the 80's; it was odd to experience such a thing, really.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
KontanKarite

HAAAAhaha.

That'll teach those evil no good goth kids. We should send Russia the link to godhatesgoth.com.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Minyaliel

Bad Kontan. Bad Kontan. Play nice.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
KontanKarite

Well... it's quite simple. If the youth isn't happy about it, they'll do something about it.

YAY Communism!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Minyaliel

*laughs* Yeah, right.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 07-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #10
Methadrine

No need to worry, give the emos enough time and they eradicate themselves. That sanguine and painful addiction got to be good for something, you know.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
KontanKarite

I just finished reading the article. I want to know why you thought bunching goths in with this was necessary. They didn't mention goth at all in that article.

Oh wait, I forgot... goth and emo are interchangeable. *slaps forehead*

Old 07-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
Rorschach Twin

It's pretty ridiculous, but is it really so unexpected? I mean, think about it, not even twenty years ago the country was ruled by Authoritarianism. The effect of that doesn't just leave instantly.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #13
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
. It'd be breaking the human rights. Free speach and all that. Holy hell, they'd better not.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You're talking of a country who's police used to kill people for no good reason whatsoever. Free speech indeed, that is not a law everywhere Minyaliel. Goths and Emos should just be happy that the Soviet Union isn't there anymore, or they wouldn't be banned, they would be buried. If there will be such a law, they can either revolt, or find something else and move on.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #14
JCC

There's no such thing as rights. Politicians gave you rights, and politicians can easily take your rights away from you. What you actually have are temporary stipulations created to give you the impression of a benevolent protector such as your government or the UN, when in actuality a human right is just a policy. If human rights were enforced, I'd be allowed to say 'fuck' in school, and if they told me off, I'd sue.

If human rights were enforced, wars would have to be fought with tranquilisers and non-lethal combat.

It's nice to know that human rights will be there when you need a crutch in a lawsuit about something, something big and scary to reference to. Ultimately however, Russia is doing what we call in the business "Doing what it wants."

The chance that anyone will give the tiniest bit of a shit and do anything about it isn't even worth contemplating. They behead feminists in Saudi Arabia and people in the West say "Oh, my lord!". And then eat their dinner. Nobody will give two shits about emo music, especially in a country that would rip most apart, like Russia.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #15
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
There's no such thing as rights. Politicians gave you rights, and politicians can easily take your rights away from you. What you actually have are temporary stipulations created to give you the impression of a benevolent protector such as your government or the UN, when in actuality a human right is just a policy.
There is such a thing as human rights. We have all the rights possible and any government will inherently take most of them. Every moment we live under policies what we have is the impression of a benevolent protector when in actuality it's just someone shackling you.
What I'm saying is that I disagree with your main premise, which leads us to the same conclusion but in a different order.
Men are born free. Freedom is the virtue of being born as an ignorant blank slate. As we progress, there are certain things we are not allowed to do. Our liberties diminish. For example a kid says fuck and he gets grounded and now he knows something else he can't do. He's not born subservient waiting until he is given permission for everything.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #16
JCC

Yeah, I get what you're saying, I think you've put a rather Anarchistic twist on the sentiment though, haha. Human rights, or more accurately human privileges, are logical ones, though I would agree that to have the right to do something is really just another form of malevolent dictation.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 AM   #17
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomerbrigade
I know! Isn't this the 21st century? The idea of people being repressed in such a manner is ridiculous and it makes me sick.

Then again though my religion [Jehovah's Witnesses] was banned in Moscow in 2004 for the same exact reason
No offense, but jehovahs witnesses are pretty damn ridiculous themselves.

Your religion forbids the celebration of Christmas as well as birthdays and other events. You also forbid your children to participate in any organised sports or other group activities. Your lot forbid children from associating with other children who are not of your religion. You also are against taking martial arts and playing chess as they are considered evil. Then there is the whole thing about not taking blood transfusion and your forbidden against using other types of modern medicine as well because its against your religion.

I don't agree with a ban on anyone by a government, especially goths, but that being said your religion bans a hell of a lot more than just goths and obviously doesn't recognise this is the 21st century either.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 AM   #18
Murasaki eyeliner

personaly i think that the entirety of g.net should build a raft from hairspray and old issues of kerrang and sail over to russia.after that we find the moscow parliment building ,sneak in and rig the buildings speakers to play siouxie at full blast!

thatl learn them

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
-Mae West
Murasaki eyeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #19
Murasaki eyeliner

"oh those russians"-boney M

an appropriate quote methinks

-Mae West
Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #20
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki eyeliner
kerrang
Go fall into a ditch.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 AM   #21
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
No offense, but jehovahs witnesses are pretty damn ridiculous themselves.

Your religion forbids the celebration of Christmas as well as birthdays and other events. You also forbid your children to participate in any organized sports or other group activities. Your lot forbid children from associating with other children who are not of your religion. You also are against taking martial arts and playing chess as they are considered evil. Then there is the whole thing about not taking blood transfusion and your forbidden against using other types of modern medicine as well because its against your religion.
A lot of that is more than a bit off base. JW's aren't supposed to celebrate special days because they are supposed celebrate every day (although many fundies don't exactly do it that way but fundies tend to be the worst part of any religion). I have never heard of children not being allowed to associate with children of other religions, I had a few JWs friends in elementary school and even though I was not a JW I was always welcome in there homes. Violence in general is considered to be bad so the institutionalized versions of violence would logically be seen as bad, I really don't see how that is ridiculous. Also it isn't that all modern medicine is forbidden and most JWs that I know take all medical advice from their doctor and not their religious dogma.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 AM   #22
Murasaki eyeliner

well thats the only use i could think for kerrang aside from bog roll,i never said it was even remotly readable.

-Mae West
Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 AM   #23
viscus

A lot of you guys don't seem to realize that Russia is quite an authoritarian country. Did you not get the memo?

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #24
Lapin

Okay, A. Murasaki? You have a 'shift' key. Use it please. Your posts make my eyes hurt.

B. Russia is run by assholes. This is an established fact, and there's nothing we can do about it.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #25
AngelikDemonik

I really hate it when emo kids are referred to as "emos". I don't know...it just doesn't seem right. Just like when when people call goths "gothics"....

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote