Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Empty_Purple_Stars

Disaster Tours of New Orleans??

Next stop in New Orleans: Disaster trip for tourists

Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:58 PM ET8

By Michele Gershberg

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - Visitors to New Orleans who once toured the graceful mansions of its Garden District or learned the history of its Mississippi River plantations have a new attraction: The Hurricane Katrina disaster tour.

Gray Line New Orleans will begin on January 4 a "Hurricane Katrina Tour - America's Worst Catastrophe!" to show the ruin that befell the city when the storm hit on August 29, breaching a faulty system of river levees and flooding 80 percent of its neighborhoods.

Gray Line New Orleans normally organizes trips through the city's historic districts as well as its swamps and spooky cemeteries, but its business has been severely curtailed by the hurricane. The company said the Katrina tour was born of frustration over the government's slow response to rebuilding.

About 10 percent of the $35 ticket price for the three-hour tour will be donated to Katrina relief groups.

"People around the country don't understand it until they see it firsthand," Gregory Hoffman, general manager of Gray Lines New Orleans, told Reuters. "We're going to walk them through what we as locals experienced leading up to and following the hurricane."

Critics say a commercial tour only sensationalizes the city's suffering, with tens of thousands of residents still dispersed across the United States. Other victims can still be seen on city streets trying to salvage belongings from their wrecked homes.

"There should be tours, but they should be linked with people who are displaced and coming up with a plan of action," said Corlita Mahr, a hurricane victim who works with the grassroots People's Hurricane Relief Fund.

The Gray Line tour includes a history of the Mississippi River and the levees intended to protect city inhabitants, as well as its industries, from oil and gas production to seafood harvesting.

The tour will follow a route through the ravaged Lakeview neighborhood and pass by the Superdome stadium, where storm victims waited for days to be rescued with little food, water or medical attention.

Hoffman, who along with many of his employees lost his home to the flood, noted that visitors are already poking into destroyed neighborhoods on their own accord, not unlike tourists who lined up to see the ruins of New York's World Trade Center after the September 11, 2001, attacks four years ago.

Passengers will not be let off Gray Line buses to take photos of neighborhoods, he said.

"We may pass out maps that show the depths of the devastation, but after you ride around for fifteen minutes in those areas you don't really need any more," said Hoffman.

Source
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
Empty_Purple_Stars

If this doesn't qualify as morbid news, I don't know what would qualify more..

How sick is this?

"Let's sell tours to the disaster area!!"

" Boy, that's a great friggin idea!!"

" Everyone loves to stroll through the charming piles of death and rubble.."

"Fun for the whole family!"

" And over here Billy, you see the dehydrated corpse of an elderly woman the National Guard failed to retrieve!!"

"Wow!! This is WAY better than Disneyland!!"

/Implode
Old 12-13-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
horrorgirl

I drove through the area of Oakland and Berkeley that was destroyed during the firestorm of 91 about two months after it happened and it was really surreal. There were people flying kites and having picnics in the ruins.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
soggypicklemuncher

I heard about that on NPR. I remember it was mentioned that ten percent of the profits from the tours is supposed to be donated for some kind of relief for hurricane victims, but that seems like a flimsy excuse to make money by creating a spectacle out of human suffering. Bleh.

You only see what you want to believe
When you creep from the back
I got tricks up my sleeve
24/7 the devil's best friend
It makes no difference
It's all the same in the end

-"Same in the End" by Sublime
soggypicklemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
horrorgirl

Now that I think of it there were bus tours of the Marina district in San Francisco after the earthquake. There seems to be a history of this.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:45 AM   #6
Blushing Heliophobe

I was in Florida for Ivan and had to evacuate.

No way was it close to the damage that Katrina caused, but when we went back home, it was both amazing and terribly sad to see the power of nature, and the loss of human property and life.

I think it would be educational for people to see photos and footage of the wreckage, but I myself wouldn't want to have gawkers bussed through my neighborhood day in and day out to gaze at my misfortune.

And 10% isn't really all that much, I agree that it seems kind of like a cheap payoff.

Perhaps all that interest would be better diverted into the rebuilding New Orleans rather than the remains of New Orleans.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe
I was in Florida for Ivan and had to evacuate.

No way was it close to the damage that Katrina caused, but when we went back home, it was both amazing and terribly sad to see the power of nature, and the loss of human property and life.

I think it would be educational for people to see photos and footage of the wreckage, but I myself wouldn't want to have gawkers bussed through my neighborhood day in and day out to gaze at my misfortune.

And 10% isn't really all that much, I agree that it seems kind of like a cheap payoff.

Perhaps all that interest would be better diverted into the rebuilding New Orleans rather than the remains of New Orleans.

My sentiments exactly..

Well-said..

My family and I have still have a Cousin missing and sadly presumed dead, in NOLA.

They are telling everyone it could be up to a YEAR before all of the bodies are identified because many of them ROTTED in the summer heat for WEEKS before they were recovered.Plus the bodies WITHOUT dental or medical records, of which there are many, will probably NEVER be identified.

My Great Aunt in Metairie says that they are STILL discovering bodies in some of the attics of the homes in her Ward..

I can't even believe they are allowing tours.. So much of NOLA is still to dangerous to simply wander through, on foot or otherwise..
Old 12-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
At least this way, the Hurricane Relief will get some money from mankinds natural voyaristic tendencies.

That's actually a really good point. Pearl Harbor is a tourest attraction even though many of the dead were never recovered. Same with Mt. St. Helens which is a great source of income for the state of Washington. Harry Truman (the old guy who refused to leave his home where his wife's grave is) is still either at the bottom of Spirit Lake, or God knows where, and that area near the lake brings people from all over the world.

I feel bad for the tsunami victims...over 250,000 lives lost and counting. I don't know when and where they could make that a tourist attraction.

The Kashmir earthquake:
As of 8 November, the Pakistani government's official death toll was 87,350. Some estimate that the death toll could reach over 100,000.

An estimated 3.3 million were left homeless in Pakistan. The UN reported that more than 4 million people are directly affected, as winter snows start. Many of them are at risk of dying from cold and the spread of disease. What makes me sad about that is the U.S. media rarely mentions that anymore, and those people aren't anywhere close to recovery. Even Fox thinks that shit like the Micheal Jackson trial were more important rating-wise than such a tragedy.

That region was never really an attraction to those outside of Asia to beging with. I don't know...do you think they could do the same there, Geisha?
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Beshem von Vampyr

Is anyone else tired of hearing about friggin hurricane katrina? Sure I like to hear about people gettin hurt ans stuff, but I'm tired of hearing about a damn hurricane that hit here in louisiana FOUR friggin months ago!
Beshem von Vampyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #10
Empty_Purple_Stars

Did you even bother reading the thread??

Nope, nor did you bother introducing yourself..

Several of us, MYSELF included had family injured, or worse in that Hurricane, with every meager possession they owned washed away or left to rot..

It's not just some sensational news story here.

We may be Apathetic about many things here at Gothic.Net, but the senseless loss of so many innocent lives is not something we make light of here in this forum.

Show a WEE BIT OF RESPECT why don't you?

Oh and what the hell does " Sure I like to hear about people getting hurt and all " mean??

Not to mention the fact that Katrina was and is the LARGEST Natural Disaster in our Nations HISTORY, so maybe just MAYBE that makes the whole event a MAJOR topic for discussion in MANY different circles..

Show a little respect, compassion, cognitive ability..

You pick one.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #11
Beshem von Vampyr

I did read the thread, I did introduce myself, but I really just don't have the heart to care about people I don't know.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:55 PM   #12
Empty_Purple_Stars

And it never occured to you that it just MIGHT be hurtful to people here or anywhere when you fling your flagrant disregard their direction??
Old 12-15-2005, 03:56 PM   #13
Beshem von Vampyr

Again, I don't care about people I don't know.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #14
Empty_Purple_Stars

This is the place to introduce yourself..

If you can manage to migrate that way against the raging current of your apathy..lol..
Old 12-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #15
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beshem von Vampyr
Umm..

If you don't care about people you 'don't know', than why join a Message Forum and ask for opinions from faceless strangers You Don't Know?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:38 PM   #16
Blushing Heliophobe

Well, I see our Empathy-o-Meter is operating well here at gnet.

I see Al's point...maybe a more correct thing to do would be to wait until the bodies are recovered, or mostly recovered, before they start the tours. Keep the photographs of what happened to show. But it might be in better taste and more respectful to those mourning loss of life and property to wait, at least until the bodies are recovered...
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:05 AM   #17
tekajo

von Vampyr.
Two words.

Fuck you.

(goes on the ignore list)
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:45 AM   #18
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beshem von Vampyr
Wow....what a hard ass you are.*rolls eyes*