Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Waning

The biggest Goth band in the UK right now?

Just wondering who you thought were the biggest bands in the UK Goth scene ?

I also would like to know of any brilliant upcoming bands that you have heard of as I would like to discover more new music.

Cheers
Waning
Waning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Delkaetre

Please give us an introduction, there's a whole section devoted to it.

And now, in answer to your question...
The biggest 'goth' band currently functionally touring is probably Siouxie and the Banshees. But the goth scene itself in the UK is putting out a lot of new music, and there are a lot of bands with a pretty impressive following. Inkubus Sukkubus, though a pagan rock band, have a very large goth following and can usually fill any venue they play in. Uninvited Guest are continuing to gain popularity. Everyone's heard of and almost everyone gets along well with the Screaming Banshee Aircrew- but you can't judge their popularity by their album sales. Belisha have managed to get a song in the rock Top 40 on a mainstream chart, but I'm not sure if we'd class them as 'big' just for that. The Mission are still alive and touring on occasion, and they're pretty damn big as goth bands go.

If you want to know about upcoming bands, have a look at the link in my signature. The Listing has a *lot* of bands on it, listed alphabetically with a note about their coutry of origin. UK bands to watch out for (not all of whom are new) include Rome Burns, Zombina and the Skeletones, Devilish Presley, Deviant UK, The Mumbles, Legion, Manuskript, Screaming Banshee Aircrew, Solemn Novena, Pretentious, Moi?, Uninvited Guest, Coreline, and generally far too many others to count.
If you don't mind going international, I'd suggest you take in a bit of The Eternal Fall, NEON, and Ashbury Heights.
I could go on for hours.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
homo-adonis

A new band that is debuting an album right now out of London is "Adoration" Check them out they are dark and melodic the perfect formula.
homo-adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Sumerian Nephilim

I think Fields of The Nephilim are the biggest goth rock band in the UK right now because they have a huge following and an absolutely massive fan base. They have also released amazing albums of recently like 'Mourning Sun' that matches up to their best albums such as 'The Nephilim & Elizium'.

They are also one of the most influential bands next to Sisters of Mercy in terms of the amount of new bands that are very influenced by them. Their also one of the very best live goth band ever.
Sumerian Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by homo-adonis
A new band that is debuting an album right now out of London is "Adoration" Check them out they are dark and melodic the perfect formula.
Yup, they're the biggest because they just came out. Bah, everybody knoews Adress Unknoewn is da biggest goff band eva anywai!
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian Nephilim
I think Fields of The Nephilim are the biggest goth rock band in the UK right now because they have a huge following and an absolutely massive fan base. They have also released amazing albums of recently like 'Mourning Sun' that matches up to their best albums such as 'The Nephilim & Elizium'.

They are also one of the most influential bands next to Sisters of Mercy in terms of the amount of new bands that are very influenced by them. Their also one of the very best live goth band ever.
Yeah, also because next to the Sisters, they're one of the bands that has spawned countless droves of amateur bands all trying to replicate them.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
Sumerian Nephilim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Yeah, also because next to the Sisters, they're one of the bands that has spawned countless droves of amateur bands all trying to replicate them.
Very true indeed. But there are some excellent goth rock bands that do replicate Fields and Sisters sound very well, without sounding like their trying to copy them too much. These are the bands that I think do a very good job of replicating both of the above bands sound.

Elusive - Replicating Sisters of Mercy, The Mission Uk & some Fields of The Nephilim

Opened Paradise - Replicating Fields of The Nephilim

Solemn Novena - Replicating Sisters of Mercy

NFD - Replicating Fields of The Nephilim

Catherines Cathedral

Voices of Masada - Replicating Fields of The Nephilim & Sisters

Nosferatu - Replicating Sisters of Mercy

Love Like Blood - Replicating Fields of The Nephilim & Sisters (mainly in their older albums
Sumerian Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote