Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Tam Li Hua

$5 for New Metallica CD...

...only today, and only at Hot Topic. Also, you can get a $5 T-shirt with it. ^___^

Listening to it now, and it ROCKS. In the words of the fiance, "It's like Metallica finally woke up and said, "Hey, we used to make GOOD music! Why don't we do that any more?"

[For those interested, today is Friday, September 12, 2008. And yeah, I -did- just feel like putting the date in, even though all the posts are time-stamped.

And if you aren't a fan of Metallica, obviously this message isn't for you. ]
Old 09-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Duane

Cliff Burton came back to life?!
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Cliff Burton came back to life?!
Might as well have, for as good as the CD sounds.

[I'm a wee bit excited, as you can tell.]
Old 09-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Duane

I'll have to check it out, then... so who's playing bass for them now?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Tam Li Hua

*checks official site*

Robert Trujillo, apparently.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Joker_in_the_Pack

Trujillo plays bass like a gorilla, and I've heard their new CD along with all me mates, it's such utter GARBAGE.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Trujillo plays bass like a gorilla, and I've heard their new CD along with all me mates, it's such utter GARBAGE.
If you don't like it, then don't buy it.

Me personally, I'm really liking it. And hey, if folks buy it for $5, and they don't like it, then they haven't wasted that much money!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Geoluhread

I want it
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Duane

Hey Joker, is this compared to the old Metallica music, that was actually good... or St. Anger?
Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Joker_in_the_Pack

In comparison to good music as a whole. St. Anger wasn't as bad as people make it out to be (relative to anything metallica makes) except as a drummer, the fact that Lars doesn't know what a SNARE DRUM sounds like rather pissed me off.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 09-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
Tam Li Hua

I heard St. Anger was terrible.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
Joker_in_the_Pack

It was fine if you disregard their history. It looks much worse in comparison than it does on it's own.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #13
AngelikDemonik

St. Anger was crap.

At my place of employment, we're selling the new Metallica CD for $8.99. A lot of old men bought it today.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
Beowulf

Quote:
In comparison to good music as a whole. St. Anger wasn't as bad as people make it out to be (relative to anything metallica makes) except as a drummer, the fact that Lars doesn't know what a SNARE DRUM sounds like rather pissed me off.

I think the snare sound was deliberate, as Lars (and producer Bob Rock) were experimenting with different drums sounds at the time, to give the drum tracks a `garage` feel to the sound (see `Some Kind Of Monster` documentary) !!!.

It will be interesting to see what Rick Rubin has added to the production of the new album and hope Lars Ulrichs drum sound of old has returned (or as close to it as we can get). I think the best producer Metallica had was Danish producer Flemming Rassmusen who produced `Ride The Lightning` , `Master Of Puppets` and of course `... And Justice For All` !!!.

If I had one request and that would be for `...And Justice For All` to be remixed and remastered so Jason Newsteads bass guitar (amazing bass player) can be finally heard, as his bass track was mysteriously turned down during post production of the album (allegedly) !!!.

I`ll be looking forwards to listening to the new album tomorrow !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
Destituxe

I'll have to listen for myself to find out.
Destituxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #16
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
It was fine if you disregard their history. It looks much worse in comparison than it does on it's own.
If you disregard their history, then you aren't really a fan of the real Metallica at all. You're only a fan of that album in particular.

Nothing wrong with that, though.

I listened to some St. Anger today, and I have to say....it was really really bad. :/ I can see why Metallica fans despise it.

But, to each his/her own.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #17
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
...only today, and only at Hot Topic. Also, you can get a $5 T-shirt with it. ^___^

Listening to it now, and it ROCKS. In the words of the fiance, "It's like Metallica finally woke up and said, "Hey, we used to make GOOD music! Why don't we do that any more?"

[For those interested, today is Friday, September 12, 2008. And yeah, I -did- just feel like putting the date in, even though all the posts are time-stamped.

And if you aren't a fan of Metallica, obviously this message isn't for you. ]
Complete waste of money, even for 5 bucks.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #18
Despanan

I'm enjoying it, though I may have outgrown Metallica a bit in recent years. The songs aren't very deep, but those guys are freaking MASTERS of their instruments.

What I think is cool (and a little wierd) is that this is the first Metallica Album I'm listening to after hearing Dethklok. Metalocalipse did such a good job of parodying Metallica, I keep thinking Death Magnetic is a Dethklok album.

Hell, James even refers to a "Death clock" in one of the tracks if I'm not mistakened.

All in all, it seems like they're getting back to their roots. Death Magnetic really reminds me of "Ride the Lightening"
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #19
PortraitOfSanity

It seems to be quite an argument which band Dethklok is a parody of. But of all the bands people have suggested, Metallica is by far the strangest, and probably the most ridiculous...
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #20
franco

there's so much good metal bands today to forget this worthless popular shit Metallica became.
franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #21
gothlace06

I think the new Metallica cd is rather disappointing. I can't understand why people even like it. I think it could have been better if they would have put it off longer. Also, I'd like to add that nobody and I mean nobody can replace Cliff Burton. Not even Robert Trujillo.
gothlace06 is offline   Reply With Quote