Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
werewolffan98

"There's room for one more."

A young woman on her way to town broke her journey by staying with friends at an old manor house. Her bedroom looked out to the carriage sweep at the front door. It was a moonlit night, and she found it difficult to sleep. As the clock outside her bedroom door struck 12, she heard the noise of horses' hooves on the gravel outside, and the sound of wheels.
She got up and went over to the window to see who could be arriving at that time of night. The moonlight was very bright, and she saw a hearse drive up to the door. It hadn't a coffin in it; instead it was crowded with people. The coachman sat high up on the box: as he came opposite the window he drew up and turned his head. His face terrified her, and he said in a distinct voice, "There's room for one more."

She drew the curtain, ran back to bed, and covered her head with the bedclothes. In the morning she was not quite sure whether it had been a dream, or whether she had really got out of bed and seen the hearse, but she was glad to go up to town and leave the old house behind her.

She was shopping in a big store which had an elevator in it -- an up-to-date thing at that time. She was on the top floor, and went to the elevator to go down. It was rather crowded, but as she came up to it, the elevator operator turned his head and said, "There's room for one more."

It was the face of the coachman of the hearse. "No, thank you," said the girl. "I'll walk down." She turned away, the elevator doors clanged, there was a terrible rush and screaming and shouting, and then a great clatter and thud. The elevator had fallen and every soul in it was killed.
werewolffan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:16 AM   #2
DrenchedInGin

A great story that qualifies these days as urban myth... but there is also a short story written by E F Benson, called 'The Bus Conductor' (e-text at http://www.horrormasters.com/Text/a0209.pdf) which is essentially the same thing. E F Benson wrote his version in 1906.

I wonder if the story existed before Benson's version? I think it's quite likely. Does anybody know?
DrenchedInGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
Immortal_Death

Sounds more like a urban legend from WarpHead.com//
Old 07-06-2006, 11:15 PM   #4
the_ink_bleeds_faster

I wouldn't know. But it was entertaining to read.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
happy_dude

Location: I'm underneath the sink, now what do you think, living under my sink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrenchedInGin
E F Benson wrote his version in 1906.

I wonder if the story existed before Benson's version? I think it's quite likely. Does anybody know?
Did they have elevators pre 1906?
An interesting read, though I don't think 'Spooky News' is an approprate place.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:03 AM   #6
spookypurple

The EF Benson story was also used in the film Dead Of Night. I haven't been able to track the story story to anything before "The Bus Conductor". I'll keep trying.

(Though the thing with the lift/elevator did genuinely happen to a friend of mine - honest! But it wasn't a dream - just a 'feeling'))

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote