Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
Draconysius

Comic books!

Come on! You've all, at one point, collected those timeless heaps of paper and ink. I KNOW shyantra has a huge friggin' collection. As for myself, I've always loved Batman comics. I can actually relate to that guy, not only from the dark issues, thoughts he has daily, but from the fact that he could be anyone. He doesn't have any superpowers; he's just a regular guy with a great bit of determination.

I also enjoy:
Gross Point
Starting at Halloween, '97, this book chronicles the grotesque and disturbing adventures of a typical American family who moves to a very... atypical town. There's a howling monster in their basement, Siamese twins as neighbors, and PLENTY of gore. It was one of my favorite series as a child. You should check it out for yourself.

Silent Hill (Dying Inside/Paint it Black/etc.)
These books tell a little back/side-story for the Silent Hill games. It very much stays true to the feel of the games, and the art style is a mix of abstract and noir. Dying Inside is chiefly about a mental patient and a ghostly little girl in a white dress...

the Big Book of Death
This multi-artist project is a definite keeper! Each book 1-9 chronicles a different aspect of death and explains the history, methods, etc. of it. Book 1 explains the history of capital punishment, Book 2 is about homicide... you get the idea. It's a very interesting read indeed. There's also a Big Book of Freaks and more.

Dead Pool
Wade Wilson is a mutant like the X-Men, but he doesn't fight for justice. He's a mercenary. Wearing red tights with big, black circles around the eyes and a katana strapped to his back with a pair of sai... no wonder I liked this when I was a kid. The book has a very tongue-in-cheek attitude, and it often breaks the fourth wall (makes out-of-character jokes).
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Vyvian Blackthorne

I draw comics, I'm sure you're aware. Though I've enjoyed the late eighties involving this Bat shadow guy, I am a truthful and "devoted" per say fan to alternative and underground comics. If you don't mind I'd like to do the summary thing Draco did XD

JTHM (Johnny The Homicidal Maniac) by Jhonen VASQUEZ
A goth favourite, with a classic plot involving the misanthropic protagonist Johnny, or as he perfers NNY. Through his dark and enchated world he the one that kills the mundane, or assholes in general. It was that to which influenced my "Billy the Unstable Animal boy" comics. Other work by Jhonen Vasquez includes SQUEE and I Feel Sick series.

The Work of Renee French
This very macabre and underground morbid queen's work revolves around mutilative and fascinating deformites, drawn normally in vignettes. She has a surreal, abstract and grotesque concept of beauty that lies in her work that includes the controversial 'Grit Bath' and from DarkHorse comics, 'The Ninth Gland'. To learn more, visit:
www.reneefrench.com

The Crow by James 'O Barr
A contempary cult classic, how could any gothic or prolific audience leave the store without picking or skimmy through the innovative story of 'The Crow'? I don't even think I have to explain the plot for this one.

The Works of Robert & Sophie CRumb
Yes, R. Crumb, the father of underground comics and the warped imagination behind "Fritz the cat" and "Mr Natural"-though cliche toward audiences and very well known, Crumb's work are sick comic classics! Not for the faint of heart! Sophie is his daughter, whose stories are very different that focus on more of an abstract sceneary and disturbed charecters. I reccomend both of their work for anyone!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Draconysius

Oh, COME ON! Someone else surely must read comics or at least have memories of when they did! >:{
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Encaitare

I love the Sandman ever so much. I've also read V for Vendetta, although I preferred the movie. The book will probably grow on me over subsequent readings, I'm sure. A friend is now getting me into more comics. He just lent me Watchmen and I think 300 is next.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
MollyMac

I loved The Maxx!

Or maybe I'm talking out loud again....

And the Tick- all the omnibi
Old 04-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
IsolatedReptile

I love Sandman. It's a classic tale about anthropomorphic personifications. I think it's genius that it's a story about story itself. This reads more like a novel from finish to end than a comic book.

The Crow is a classic piece of literature to me, as it reads more like book than a comic book as well.

Watchmen introduces ideas and plot twists that will make you think for years to come. I read it three years ago but I still try to wrap my mind around some of the premises that were introduced. The Alan Moore (the writer I think) created God in the book, and in a way that makes sense.

Preacher. Possibly my absolute favorite, about a man who is a true cowboy preacher infused with an infant born from an Angel and a Demon, in a world where God has left the throne.

Hellblazer. Just read it. You'll understand.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
whispertwist

I had not read many comics in decades, except for Neil Gaiman's work and the Crow.

However, as a Laurell Hamilton fan, I am very excited about the new comics that have been issued for her first book, Guilty Pleasures. IMO, the Brett Booth ink is stunning.

Modern comic art is a far cry from the flat images I remember from high school.
whispertwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
erotomaniac87

I'm looking forward to reading the new "Dark Tower" comics by Stephen King.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
Clockwork

I've completely read Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee, and I Feel Sick. I've also read bits of Lenore the Cute Little Dead Girl, Serenity Rose, Gloomcookie, and Sandman.

Sorry, no plot summaries. I'm too tired for that right now...
Old 04-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
Vyvian Blackthorne

Speaking of which Clockwork, I like your new avatar! I'm kind of a SLG hack to the side of being a fan of French (Renee), Sandman and Crow.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
KontanKarite

Someone mentioned Lenor the Cute Little Dead Girl.

I would just like to point out: BEWARE OF TODD FUCKING GOLDMAN! That man is the WORST mother fucker on the art planet.

He ripped off Lenor and other respectable artists' works. The man's made millions off of stealing other people's work.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Someone mentioned Lenor the Cute Little Dead Girl.

I would just like to point out: BEWARE OF TODD FUCKING GOLDMAN! That man is the WORST mother fucker on the art planet.

He ripped off Lenor and other respectable artists' works. The man's made millions off of stealing other people's work.
I know, that just set my mood for the day. I want to see this bastard rotting penniless on the street after this so I can kick him and pour milk in his hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
Speaking of which Clockwork, I like your new avatar! I'm kind of a SLG hack to the side of being a fan of French (Renee), Sandman and Crow.
Oh, thank you. Pepito has to be my favorite of Jhonen's characters; I haven't laughed so hard since I read the one where Squee visits Senior Diablo's house.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #13
HateMeImGothic

I have read some Blade comics. I wish they had stuck with their original concept of him. Blade was originally a pale-white guy with white hair, who wore all black. They changed it because there wasn't enough "Black" heroes in their comics. In the original comics he was even a vampire, he had a wife, and a kid.

One book I started reading is "The Walking Dead". I have just read a few pages from part two, but I was hooked. Shame I didn't have time to finish it.
HateMeImGothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #14
HateMeImGothic

(Blade WASN'T* even a vampire.)
HateMeImGothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #15
Elf

Sandman, a must. I love Neil Gaiman. Mythology and folklore, rethought, after finishing this series I was glad that I read it.

The Books of Magic. So far, the same reason as above. Although, I haven’t had a chance to actually get to through the entire series yet, so I cannot quite speak for it.

Transmetropolitan. Spider Jerusalem! Dystopia set to the beat of a gonzo journalist. I am amazed that it took me so long to eventually read these comix, but I’m glad that I did so.

Watchmen. I see someone else commented on this one. This has got to be my first introduction to comix and graphic novels in particular (except for Elfquest) and it certainly made a mark on me, probably spoiled me for most lesser works. I wish I had a copy now, I will eventually. I read the entire thing whilst I was virtually living in a comic book store in PEI, Canada.

NextWAVE: Agents of H.A.T.E. I haven’t been able to get all of this run yet, but it’s one has proven greatly entertaining. Written by Warren Ellis, it’s a bitter examination of superheroes gone rogue—and it’s got to be one of the funniest parody style comix I’ve gotten into ever.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:51 AM   #16
honeythorn

I can honestly say that I have never ever read any kind of comic book or graphic novel. I feel strange now...
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:31 AM   #17
The Mystic Moon

I love 'Pure Trance' a graphic novel by Junko MIzuno.
The Mystic Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:04 AM   #18
CountSixstring

The Sandman is awesome. I love Gaiman. Also the Crow by James O'barr. The movie is badass and it stretched out to a wide audience, but it's good as itself, not as a representation of the comic book. The comic book is much bloodier and as some sickplot devices and twists. Also Eric Draven has that awesome haircut. haha. It looks so Bauhaus. Check that shit out. Although those are awesome. I grew up on my dad's shit i.e. X-Men, Superman, Spiderman etc. These are all good too. My little child brain opted to follow the cartoons more than the comics though.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:15 AM   #19
Seraphynth

Most of what I've read is manga. The best being Angel Sanctuary and xxxHolic.
The comics I'm interested in reading are The Darkness and The Sandman (I've read a comic based on Gaiman's character Death and loved it. I'm also a fan of his novels as well.)
I'm really dying to read The Darkness (which is technically The DARKNESS if I'm right...).
Seraphynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:56 AM   #20
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphynth
The comics I'm interested in reading are The Darkness and The Sandman (I've read a comic based on Gaiman's character Death and loved it. I'm also a fan of his novels as well.)
I'm really dying to read The Darkness (which is technically The DARKNESS if I'm right...).
I always found The Darkness and other Top Cow titles to be boring. I've never really gone for any of Image's titles or subsidiary company's titles with the exception of Spawn, but even then I disliked reading it, I only really liked looking at the pictures.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #21
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
I can honestly say that I have never ever read any kind of comic book or graphic novel. I feel strange now...
Good goth, honeythorn, really? I thought you'd read JtHM because the guy on layout page on myspace looks like the protagonist.

Goth Forever
Old 05-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #22
Seraphynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedReptile
I always found The Darkness and other Top Cow titles to be boring. I've never really gone for any of Image's titles or subsidiary company's titles with the exception of Spawn, but even then I disliked reading it, I only really liked looking at the pictures.

So the story's rather drab? What a shame, there's such lovely artwork for The Darkness. And I only know about it 'cause Ryan used to read it when he was a kid and he was showing me some of the pictures in his old comics.
Spawn...not sure if I'd like it or not...
Seraphynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #23
CountSixstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphynth
You should check out "The Tarot Cafe". It's very addicting to look at accopanied by the stories. It has some of the best manga-style art I've seen. It's done by a chinese-american named Sang-Sun park. It's distributed through tokyopop so I thought it must have something going for it.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:09 AM   #24
DarkGentleman

For a number of years I have read Spawn comic books.
Recently I have lost interest in reading Spawn due to the lack of a storyline after the "Armaggedon" has happened.
They have also changed artists and that makes it suck even more.

I still like browsing through comic book stores to see whats out there, as well as with my daughter when she shops for her Manga/Anime books.

Like IsoLatedReptile said "I only really liked looking at the pictures.", I pretty much do the same until I find a storyline that grabs my attention. But so far, I have found none.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:56 PM   #25
Kireo-Umoshiae

I haven't really gotten around to the bookstores here. I don't think there are many comics and graphic novels, anyway. A good portion of the people I know are into manga and anime stuff: Bleach, Chobits, etc. I'm personally scouting for some random underground type stuff right now.

The only comics I really remember reading were my little brother's Spider Man comics and the comics my big brother made up. I recently got to read a few pags of JTHM. I was immediately hooked. Jhonen Vasquez is great; I was so mad when they canceled Invader Zim on Nickelodeon all those years ago.

You guys have offered some great suggestions. I'll definitely look into those.
Kireo-Umoshiae is offline   Reply With Quote