Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
A Simple Poet

What are you WRITING?

There might be a thread for this, but I couldn't find it. If not there should be.

What are you writing? Do be so kind to share without giving too much away because that is dangerous not just for you in the sense that someone might rip it off, but also if you tell the entire story here in a nutshell, you probably won't get around to writing it. Rather, I'm interested in the process. What genre are you writing? Is this normal for you or a break from your genre? How's it going? Did you have writers block and get drunk and angry for three years like I did? Who are your literary inspirations or do you say to hell with convention and go at it with reckless abandon? Do you have any tricks or disciplines that help you maintain a strong writing ethic? That kind of thing.

Personally I started writing again only very recently. Two novels at the same time. How, do you ask? Okay, so you wouldn't probably ask. But I'll tell you anyway.

My latest trick is to start with a good ambiguous opening that is in first person and gives a mental shot of the protagonist. It's not a happy mood because he is feeling a bit suicidal in a bar. (not meant to be goth cliche since its not going to be a goth story in either novel, but the dude is just in a prtty bad way) But once he re-focuses on the world around him, the novels diverge. One will move in a contemporary setting while the second will continue in a gritty, medieval fantasy like setting on a mystically cursed world. The essences of the protagonist and his cronies will be the same in both pieces, but the settings will be different and so too might the plot. It's like writing in a costume party.

The hope for this excersise, ultimately, is to get one good piece (maybe two) but to keep me interested and to cross develop the characterization and plot to see how the essence of the storyline and what I am feeling as an author constructing these vigniettes performs under different arenas of setting.

Now how about you?

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
††BlackRose††

Well I was attempting to write a story based on a dream I had. I figured that it would be easier to come up with something that I remember seeing clearly in a dream.

Then when I started writing it, I kept getting huge writer's blocks, so I re-wrote it twice. At this moment its on hold until I feel that I can write it to my satisfaction. I tend to critisize myself a lot.

I'm not going to say too much about the whole idea. The story is about this one guy named Damien and basically his stuggles in his life from discovering who is true family is, love, and even being forced to rule the race of the Night-hunters (basically vampires). Well thats basically the most general overview I can give. LOL. I could be more specific, but I don't want to :P.
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
L'Oiseau Noir

I was writing a vampire romance entitled "Bloodrose," which follows the ventures of a young slayer named Lucial Bloodrose. He meets this vampiress suffering from a personality complex named Lenore, who has a connection to his past (he's the relative of someone very important to gothic fiction).

Along the way Lucial gains a "sidekick" of sorts named Eleanor Saint-Claire, another vampiress who was resting beneath the Notre Dame (she was a famous vampire slayer in the story hailing from the middle ages, who died in Romania to Lucretia, Lenore's mother), and like Lenore, she too has a connection of sorts with Lucial.

I'd go more into it, but I really don't feel like yammering about a novel I ended up dropping. I may return to it sometime in the future after I've improved my writing.

Succintly; Mad Priests, Necromancers, Werewolves, Vampires, and Slayers, oh my!
L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
NachtSorcier

The last project that I actually completed was a short story based somewhat on an episode of "The Twilight Zone" about a girl who was forced to have her consciousness transferred into a synthetic body. My story, called "All the Pretty Faces," is the same basic premise but with characters of my own creation. It needs editing, though.

Earlier this year I started a novel by the title of "Blood Mist," but I think it's descending into a short story. It's about two male immortal lovers, a vampire and a witch, whose families have been feuding for centuries. The title refers to the battles between the two clans, in which so much blood is split that the very fog turns red.

Recently I started a story called "The People in the Walls" which was inspired just a bit by Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart." It's about an old man who lives alone in a shack in the woods. He suffers from both Alzheimer's disease and battle fatigue, as he fought in World War II. When it comes to history, I am a total retard, so I need to do some research on the war before I go any further.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
MaguMan

Been writing up a storm for the last year called, "The Gemini." It's a thriller set in 1995 about a very convoluted plot to steal and smuggle ancient Greek artifacts out of Libya. Being spearheaded by an Iranian exile/fugitive, the plot takes a bit of a twist when he suddenly appears on the radars of both Sudanese, and by extension, Iranian intelligence networks in the process of running around Northern Africa.

I won't give too much away, but suffice to say it builds slowly and erupts in to several major catalysts towards the end when the numerous conflicts snowball. There's a beau coup amount of research that went into this and it's practically just as much a research/reference book as it is fiction. There are about one hundred footnotes for all the acronyms and organizational names/references, which I'm sure won't go over too well with a publisher.

But hey, at least the reader(s) will learn a thing or two.
MaguMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Steppenwolf

As I said somewhere Im the kind of compulsive writer (almost epileptic) , so I got A LOT of troubles with the structure .
I follow no discipline , except to finish the big novels I write . Usually takes be between 4 and 6 years , mostly with corrections , revisions , versions ......

The last one is still "under construction" , somewhere between psychological thriller , horror and sex , and was typed on a 3 months trip (I dont recommend this , unless you want to get sick) .

Sometimes I start with something and its always hunting me , an obsession , so I have to write it all down in places like restrooms , bus or metro . Once I start , there is no external "noises" for me , all is the paper and the story (yes , Im the kind that dont give a damm about relationships-work-school) .

Only recently I've been checking places like fmwriters , to improve the structure and technical details , but I avoid all unnecesary "contamination" , meant I prefer not to look for help even if I need it . I guess its part of the fun ...

And after 12 years of writing I wear no glasses , which is amazing if you think of someone writing by nights , only with candles ...
Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
TheLaughingCorpse

I'm juggling...*counts on fingers* five novels: Eye of the Maelstrom (modern fantasy sort of thing involving an evil mermaid general, aquatic vampires, and a human woman who unwillingly finds herself elected the new goddess of the sea), Requiem of the Watchers (a sequel to a novel I've already done that follows a girl who meets God and Its shadow, Nothing, after attempting suicide and is given a special mission as well as a very tempting guardian angel), Bloodbonds (something I'm writing with a friend that involves a love affair between the world's most savage vampire and an equally deadly assassin), Girlfriend of the Gods: Reformation (yet another sequel to another novel following the god of death as he joins his archenemy's, the sun god's, cult to be close to the human woman he loves), and Arcanum Thirteen (which I might post the first 2 chapters of here).

Yes, my devotion to writing borders on fanatical, and yes, I was stupid to start so many projects at once. But I'm managing. (I even finished a book last month and lightened my work load! Wooo!)

Everyone's tales sound so interesting.
TheLaughingCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
MaverickZero

I'm currently in limbo on my second novel Shadows of Kantobishi: Chronicles of Time. Which is the sequel/prequel to Shadows of Kantobishi. In the first novel, it centres around a Mercenary whom gets framed for his Headmaesters murder. In an effort to clear his name, he unravels a sinister plot to ressurect a centuries old ancient city, which according to legend was sealed under the sands as a last stand against its devilish power. It was then up to Tanishoka and his friends he meets along the way to stop this power from coming back, and destroying the universe.

The second novel, gives backstory on several characters in the first novel, as well as continues the mysterious tale of the visions that Tanishoka experienced in the first novel.

I have the ideas, I just lack the time and will to flesh out the second novel. Although I do plan to make this a 7 novel chronicle.
MaverickZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingCorpse
I'm juggling...*counts on fingers* five novels: Eye of the Maelstrom (modern fantasy sort of thing involving an evil mermaid general, aquatic vampires, and a human woman who unwillingly finds herself elected the new goddess of the sea), Requiem of the Watchers (a sequel to a novel I've already done that follows a girl who meets God and Its shadow, Nothing, after attempting suicide and is given a special mission as well as a very tempting guardian angel), Bloodbonds (something I'm writing with a friend that involves a love affair between the world's most savage vampire and an equally deadly assassin), Girlfriend of the Gods: Reformation (yet another sequel to another novel following the god of death as he joins his archenemy's, the sun god's, cult to be close to the human woman he loves), and Arcanum Thirteen (which I might post the first 2 chapters of here).

Yes, my devotion to writing borders on fanatical, and yes, I was stupid to start so many projects at once. But I'm managing. (I even finished a book last month and lightened my work load! Wooo!)

Everyone's tales sound so interesting.

I would seriously read Eye of the Malestrom. xD

HURRY UP AND WRITE IT.

Haha, kidding, I can wait.

It sounds very original though, and I love the idea of an evil mermaid general and aquatic vampires, and the incorporation of the mythological elements in it like the girl becoming Goddess of the Sea.

*Sigh* If only I found the courage to grab a pen and write my novel, "Bloodrose." Critique forums do horrible things to you... not when it actually helps, of course, but when you end up having your fiction flamed and bashed by a bunch of angry grammarians, librarians, and literacy teachers. ._.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
MaverickZero

I actually got good karma from my English teachers. I let them read my first novel and they were impressed, and anxious to read more.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickZero
I actually got good karma from my English teachers. I let them read my first novel and they were impressed, and anxious to read more.

All my English teachers love my writing too. However, I don't really take their compliments to heart, as half the time they don't even pay attention to the grammatical mistakes you've made, and simply skim it over and hand it back to you.

I need a good editor, but I haven't found anybody willing to do it.

I, myself, am not a very exceptional editor, though I can do the minor revisions. When it gets down to the bare mechanics of grammar, though, I fail miserably. Which is one of the reasons I went out and bought English Grammar for Dummies. I've gotten better, too, I think, but I can't be very sure just yet.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
MaverickZero

I've got my brother in law to edit it. He's got his masters in english, and he does professional editing It's taking him a bit but I know it'll be good.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #13
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickZero
I've got my brother in law to edit it. He's got his masters in english, and he does professional editing It's taking him a bit but I know it'll be good.
Seems you were lucky. I'm jealous. =(
Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
Graveyard.Crow

I am writing a book about the last Vampire/werewolf hybrid who finds out the truth about her existence through out the story, as well as falls in love with somebody who has been injected with a vaccine that turned him into a hybrid as well. In the book vampirism and werewolves started out as a scientific experiment and spread sort of like a virus.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #15
Godslayer Jillian

Trying to come up with a short horror story before Halloween comes, involving the New England myth of the whippoorwills.
I'm also struggling to finish that story whose beginning I posted about a month ago.
Thinking (but not putting on paper) of a story of The Fall from a descendant of Adam's perspective.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:07 PM   #16
MollyMac

Working on a lore about the Nemaha and the myths of echoes in houses.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:24 AM   #17
TheLaughingCorpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir

I would seriously read Eye of the Malestrom. xD

HURRY UP AND WRITE IT.

Haha, kidding, I can wait.

It sounds very original though, and I love the idea of an evil mermaid general and aquatic vampires, and the incorporation of the mythological elements in it like the girl becoming Goddess of the Sea.

*Sigh* If only I found the courage to grab a pen and write my novel, "Bloodrose." Critique forums do horrible things to you... not when it actually helps, of course, but when you end up having your fiction flamed and bashed by a bunch of angry grammarians, librarians, and literacy teachers. ._.
Actually, I'd give you the link to the writing forum I'm part of and you can read it--maybe even join, if you liked the look of the place. I could email the link (since this isn't the appropriate place to plug a site and all) if you'd care to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Trying to come up with a short horror story before Halloween comes, involving the New England myth of the whippoorwills.
Never heard of that myth. I'll have to look it up. *puts hands together and makes mournful whippoorwill call*
Old 09-27-2007, 03:10 AM   #18
TheLaughingCorpse

*Has supreme "Duh!" moment*

Or I could always post the link in the Shill forum, as the email and PM feature is either disabled or an earned privilege. And then hope it doesn't attract trolls....
Old 09-27-2007, 06:27 AM   #19
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Not really writer's block, but I have written myself into a corner with my last story, a psychological thriller called "Trailer Park" (which I have renamed "Getting Out" after I found out there was a movie of the same name) :

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=3780

It is written in the first person however, which I have discovered limits one's descriptive options.

The only novel I am working on is based on my successful short story called "When Bats Sleep", which is published by Angst Magazine:

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=3414

It is written in a narrative form which has allowed me to be more descriptive.

I too am an obsessive writer, I have visions and merely type what I see, there is no attempt to form plots or develop characters, the stories just come to me. When I have visions I may be anywhere, the airport, home, work where ever, but it really gets me in trouble at work. I can't help it!

I have other stories I have neglected, "When East meets West" (sort of a Gothic Marco Polo adventure) :

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=3674

and a spiritual/mystical love story:

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=4194

Anyway, it is not so much a love of writing as much as necessity: I have to write down the visions to purge them, otherwise they keep looping in my mind, leaving only fleeting glimpses of reality in between. Medication helps.

There are others, just go to my profile and click on "find all threads started by HumanePain" in the lower left side.

And those are just the ones I have posted here, there are other sites where I have posted more stories of other genres not related to Gothic.net.
(fictionpress . com, fanfiction . net)

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #20
Stuporman

I'm writing a story about someone who summons a demon that escapes from the summoner's control and holds a wild party in the woods near his house. The party is populated by various supernatural beings, as well as animals who live in the forest and humans who, through different circumstances, were able to find out about all the fun. Hilarity hopefully ensues as different stories that would naturally occur during a party hosted by a citizen of Hell play out.
Stuporman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #21
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingCorpse
Actually, I'd give you the link to the writing forum I'm part of and you can read it--maybe even join, if you liked the look of the place. I could email the link (since this isn't the appropriate place to plug a site and all) if you'd care to have it.
Please, do send me the link! I'll browse around the critique forums to see if I like it, and if I do, I'll join. I'm a little hesitant though, as I've had some bad run-ins with people on those types of boards. However, I'm willing to give it another go for literature's sake.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #22
Vampeilla

Talking Horror and Erotica

I just finished a novel that is to be published June 1, 2007 about... Let you know when its published.

I also am editing a erotica novel due out in three months, its a collection of erotic stories involving m/am, m/f, f/f, f/m/f and self inflicted sexual gratification. I know I'm a just an old pervert.
Vampeilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #23
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampeilla
I just finished a novel that is to be published June 1, 2007 about... Let you know when its published.
That is to *be* published June 1, 2007? Did you mean to say 2008 (since June 2007 has already passed)?

O_o

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #24
black_rose

I'm working on a book called Deep Within. Basically its about a boy who was born with telekinesis, but he doesn't know it. When he experiences intense emotions his power is trigured and causes mass destruction. Well, thats just the jist of it...
black_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:53 AM   #25
TheLaughingCorpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir
Please, do send me the link! I'll browse around the critique forums to see if I like it, and if I do, I'll join. I'm a little hesitant though, as I've had some bad run-ins with people on those types of boards. However, I'm willing to give it another go for literature's sake.
'Tis in the Shill forum now.

*makes note to read HumanePain's listed stories*