Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
heavilyrxmedicated

Why Hello, Everyone That Isn't A Someone!

*Steals the unimaginative introduction questions from the sticky because they are too tired to think up their own*
1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

Hobbies: Music (listening, composing, playing, and pretty much everything else), Programming, Gaming, Paintball, Soccer.

Work: College Student, I'd rather not discuss my current place of employment, and the tasks I must perform therein.

2. Where are you from?

I am from Kalamazoo, Michigan (but hopefully will be heading over the northern border soon, into Canada).

3. Who is your favorite author?

I'd have to say that my favorite author right now is Nancy Kilpatrick, but my all-time favorite author must still be Garth Nix.

4. What are your favorite films?

Hmm... That's a tough one. I don't watch much outside of anime nowadays, and almost all of that isn't a stand-alone movie, but rather a series. With that out of the way, my favorite SERIES are Witch Hunter Robin, Claymore, Vampire Hunter D, Hellsing, Ghost in the Shell, Love Hina, Happy Lesson, L/R and Air Gear.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

Dance music (too many bands to list them all)

6. At your funeral?

Contemplation music (again, too many bands to list them all)

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

=D I want (and plan) on dying alone, of a massive myocardial infarction (a.k.a insta-kill heart attack). Quick, relatively painless, and easy to do! Simply live in the U.S. and eat like most americans do and exercise as little as most americans do, and you're there!

8. What kind of casket would you want?

Hmm... I was planning on being cremated, but probably a casket made of all of my personal belongings (only the stuff no one wanted, though).

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

Umm... normal clothes à la goodwill, with my fingerless gloves and pop tab chain?

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

What are you talking about?! I still AM a little kid, just trapped in this adult body!

11. What's your favorite band?

My favorite band right now is DragonForce, but the ones that has most influenced me overall are Dead Can Dance (THEY ARE N O T GOTH; THEY ARE EMOTIONAL AND TRANSCEND THE SUPERFICIALITIES IN MODERN SOCIETY, IS ALL!), System of a Down, Alice in Chains and Covenant, although Velvet Acid Christ is up there, too.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

My major: Computer Science
My minor: Music, Math

13. Why did you join?

Because I am a forum whore and spend hours a day on online forums (when I SHOULD be studying... Not doing too well in college...), and this one is pertinent to my interests

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

Oh, come on. The horrid gender gaps in the fields of engineering and applied sciences don't give that away? I'M A COMPUTER SCIENCE MAJOR, FOR GOD'S SAKE! Betcha you can guess!
heavilyrxmedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Delkaetre

14- But... I'm learning to code in C, C++ and Assembly (as a hobby, I'm busy doing other things at uni), play D&D, beta-test new RPGs for friends, and understand and appreciate the theory of Open Source as well as being able to give a brief history of the MIT crowd and early Phone Phreaking without checking a wiki.... and I'm a girl.
Computer Science says nada about your gender.
Welcome, though! I look forward to seeing how many CDC and Hong Kong Blonde references you make.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Nevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
I look forward to seeing how many CDC and Hong Kong Blonde references you make.
hahahahaha - you just made my day

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Wormboy

Welcome you geeky bastard

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
StasisInDarkness

Welcome indeed!
StasisInDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
heavilyrxmedicated

It is true that the horrid gender gap in the Computer Science field is closing, but when I said guess my gender from it, I was referring to the ~9/10 (closer to 8.5/10 nowadays, ~9/10 according to some engineering magazine I get because I got a $3000 scholarship from the organization that makes the magazine...) probability that I was a guy. I study with a lot of girls for Computer Science, but for each girl that is in my major and at the same point in college as me, there are infinitely more guys. I DO hope that that gender gap closes, as it will mean that women aren't afraid (glad so see this happening, however slowly it may be) to be geeky! Damn my culture for imposing the stereotype that guys are more nerdy than girls, and girls shouldn't be nerdy... not true in the slightest. I WANNA LEARN ASSEMBLY!!! (but that's NEXT semester). Oh, and as to CDC and Hong Kong Blonde, I really don't listen to much screaming music... I'm taking a Music minor partly because I'm a vocalist (other part = Composition), and that shit really kind of ruins everything about me... my eardrums, my vocal cords, my heart and my brain. Oh, and is there something wrong with being geeky? I listen to DCD, not CDC... Yaaay for joining yet another group where the group mentality will attempt to affect me!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
Delkaetre

Meant nothing of music, actually- and if there's a music/hacker connection, I've missed it as I so often do. You remember the Hong Kong Blondes? A hacktivism group in Hong Kong who objected to China's treatment of its citizens and the control enforced on electronic communications? Nearly brought down large sections of government electronics? That's the guys I was talking about.
CDC= Cult of the Dead Cow, another rather odd group of codemonkeys. I can't remember what the reason was behind their name, it was one of those amusing-but-only-to-people-who-get-the-significance-of-certain-numbers kind of things. Did some great stuff. Worth looking up.
To increase your assembly jealousy- Housemate N is currently learning pick assembly with ridiculously small amounts of memory. And keeps boasting of the quine (program that outputs its own source code) he wrote that in Befunge that works in unefunge and trefunge as well. Bastard that he is.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Methadrine

*raises an eyebrow, nods appreciative towards the whole thread, deals out some issues of 2600 and silently makes his departure from the thread*

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Delkaetre

Ah, lucky that you can get such a thing. I'm not sure if they'd have it in the library here, and no one I know bothers to read, buy, borrow, steal, beg, download or copy magazines.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavilyrxmedicated
I WANNA LEARN ASSEMBLY!!!
Look up Jeff Duntemann's "Assembly Language Step-by-step" and have a go at that. It's Assembly made fun.

Quote:
Ah, lucky that you can get such a thing. I'm not sure if they'd have it in the library here, and no one I know bothers to read, buy, borrow, steal, beg, download or copy magazines.
They sell it at specialized newspaper stores here.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
Delkaetre

Oooh, lucky lucky. *envies* Stop giving me reasons to stalk you.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
heavilyrxmedicated

Quote:
Meant nothing of music, actually- and if there's a music/hacker connection, I've missed it as I so often do.
XD didn't know you were talking about the hacking groups... I don't really keep an eye on the hacking "scene"... I just love making non-malicious programs (i.e. making my friend a Go board program for christmas... yay, gifts from broke college students!). Funny thing is, I think I'm going to make it in VISUAL C#... Yes, THAT programming language... Bleargh. A step away from VISUAL BASIC! I don't feel like breaking in a better language for that simple program, when I could so easily program it in english...err, C#. I thought you were referring to the semi-underground bands... NVM then. My first thought when you said CDC was Center for Disease Control, in fact, and I had to look up what you meant, because I was sure that you weren't talking about that. Found some underground "hardcore" shit... I also wanna learn LOLCode and more C++ (C++ = my next 4-5 years...). To PSYCHOLOGY CLASS! Oh, and I know about Hong Kong Blondes (the band) solely becuase I go to Canada a lot.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
heavilyrxmedicated

Sry for the double-post, but I MUST make a correction... Hong Kong Blonde... Singular, non plural.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #14
Delkaetre

Hahaha, god, so tempting to see what can be done with lolcode.
Hacking's often completely innocent. Well, not innocent, but utterly lacking in malice. I like the free spirit of going into a system to see what's in it and how it works. It's not something I've gotten into yet, I admire the most talented (non-malicious) hackers in the same way as I have no music talent but admire some cool bands.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #15
Methadrine

Quote:
Hahaha, god, so tempting to see what can be done with lolcode.
Hacking's often completely innocent. Well, not innocent, but utterly lacking in malice. I like the free spirit of going into a system to see what's in it and how it works. It's not something I've gotten into yet, I admire the most talented (non-malicious) hackers in the same way as I have no music talent but admire some cool bands.
Bloody hell, now I really have to fix the clone-function in Honeythorns cupboard because I'd like a copy of Delkaetre, please.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #16
Delkaetre

Wait till you hear my sermon on MIT college pranks, phone phreaking, and the difference between hacking and cracking.
Anyways, I'm offski, gotta get some food. Been meaning to get into that regular eating thing, particularly gotta remind myself because the corset is constricting the stomach and I'm not noticing my appetite as much.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #17
heavilyrxmedicated

Oh, I know the difference between hacking and cracking... Witch Hunter Robin taught me that.
Hacking = going into systems that don't belong to you, looking around at what they have, perhaps copying a few things, but not destroying their PC's software.
Cracking = DESTROY! MAKE THEIR LIFE A LIVING HELL! CORRUPT THEIR SOFTWARE SO THAT IT WORKS UNTIL THEY TRY TO ACCESS SHIT! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! IS MY PC NOW! TAKE IT OVER! anyways, it's the truly malicious stuff, whereas hacking, while harmless (in most cases *cough* I know of a few examples where hacking has turned out bad for those people who were hacked.... Bad, as in, expulsion), is still quite illegal in society's eyes (or, at least the government's). I heard that the Chinese government successfully hacked the pentagon recently... Is that true?!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #18
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavilyrxmedicated
I heard that the Chinese government successfully hacked the pentagon recently... Is that true?!
Well, let's put it this way: If they did, the general public wouldn't hear about it since it would be covered up. Secondly, if they did indeed hack Pentagon then they might have hacked parts that was accessible from the outside but the Pentagon staff isn't such losers that they'd put confidential information etc on those servers and networks. Likewise, if they've hacked Pentagon, rest assured the U.S has done the same to the chinese governments systems.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #19
heavilyrxmedicated

I heard it from CNN a few months ago. They said that the government tried to hide it for 3 months, but it leaked somehow and they decided to declassify this case. I don't doubt that the CIA has backhacked to see what was taken from the servers, but they said that they didn't hack the highly classified section, but some part of the classified and unclassified sections of their servers (or something to that effect). I don't know all that much about hacking, but I DO know that the pentagon is insanely hard to hack, and that CNN lies from time to time. I figured that there may or may not be some people who follow this sort of thing here. It's no biggie though, so I'm going to stop caring now.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #20
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Hmm I'm sure the signal corps knows somthing about this, they're responsible for military communication encryption. I'll see what declassified stuff I can dig up.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #21
Green.Lady

Welcome to the boards. I also like AIC.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #22
heavilyrxmedicated

I dunno, I just thought it was interesting, is all. You shouldn't have to look into anything for me, I don't want to trouble anyone!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #23
heavilyrxmedicated

Again, sorry for the double-post, but does anyone know whether or not it's possible to put pictures in posts? I have a few sweet government + religion = disaster pics I wanted to put up in the politics forum.... Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to put them up, and I can't really contribute much with words...
Old 12-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #24
biohazard

Welcome to the boards.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #25
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
Hmm I'm sure the signal corps knows somthing about this, they're responsible for military communication encryption. I'll see what declassified stuff I can dig up.
UPDATE!: Apparently they did not hack into the Pentagon, some idiot just let a chinese spy access it without thinking first. Also they didn't manage to get anything at all due to the encryption on the data. Lets hear it for the overly dramatic biased media outlets!!

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote