Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
käthryn

Pent up Gothicity Unleashed

My name is käthryn. I joined this past weekend because I have been looking around for a good place to make more goth-type friends because where I live, there are no such people. I'm feeling deprived.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
- Hobbies: I read political satire, fix computers, and play ice hockey
- Job: I am currently doing the following jobs for a living:
(1) commercial space planner / project manager
(2) own an eBay drop off store

2. Where are you from?
- Raised in SoCal all over the place including Apple Valley, Moreno Valley, Glendora, and most recently Chino Hills where I have been living for 15 years.

3. Who is your favorite author?
- Stephen King, Howard Zinn

4. What are your favorite films?
- Grosse Point Blank, Shipping News, Clerks, Clerks II, Napoleon Dynamite, Good Will Hunting, The Sum of Us, Nightmare Before Christmas, and several others...

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
- Been there, done that. It was basically pop music that was hip in 1995. If I do it again, it will be something more artistic in flavor.

6. At your funeral?
- Pimpf by Depeche Mode from Music for the Masses

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
- In my sleep at peace without a clue

8. What kind of casket would you want?
- Maybe one made out of free FedEx boxes
- If that got vetoed, then I'd like to be buried in my childhood toybox
- If that isn't available, then a simple honey maple coffin will suffice

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
- Long black dress with long sleeves and a bodice that actually complements my small build. It has whispy black netting throughout. 1920s strappy closed-pointed-toe heels, fishnets, and a black choker.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
- Waking up at 2AM at the ages of 3 & 4 to a cup of coffee and a bowl of Grape Nuts with tons of sugar added, then riding with my Grandpa to the LA Times distribution center that he managed, and then riding around in his 1960-something orange Volkswagen Bug throwing papers to cover the routes of the delivery people who called in sick. After that we'd go to Dennys sometimes where I was given crayons to color in my menu.

11. What's your favorite band?
- The Cure and Depeche Mode are my all time favorites.

12. What kind of education do you have? What was your major?
- Bachelors in Entrepreneurship and Human Resources

13. Why did you join?
- To interact with some thought provoking people

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
- Female
käthryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
PersephoneX

welcome aboard!

i is liking the depeche mode! and is liking the cure more!
stick around, i think i like you...

oh, wait, she can spell and string sentences together! yay!!!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
käthryn

I think the proliferance of members who could also string sentences together sealed the deal for me to join...
Old 10-25-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
PersephoneX

ha ha...then you clearly havent seen some of the wierd newbies we've had in here lately...

*to the normal/abnormal-in-a-good-way newbies:
X still loves you!
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-25-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
käthryn

I have seen a spattering of illiteracy throughout, but I also see a lot of well thought out opinions on a variety of interesting topics. I suppose I hope to gravitate toward the more literate of the membership. One of the cool things I liked about this site was the low tolerance for bad grammar and bad spelling. What a great, great expectation!

What a shame that midstream society universally rejects gothic persons with prejudice... those affiliated with the goth culture are probably some of the most literate and socially intelligent people in the world. But then I sometimes think that the cultural shunning is instrumental in developing the characteristic gothic openness to others and it drives the depths of social study and understanding of people in general.

But I digress...
Old 10-26-2006, 03:19 AM   #6
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I like the way you digress.
Is the eBay drop off store near the intersection of Ontario Ave. and the 15? I drive by there almost everyday. Lot's of yummy fast food places there too. And I have a friend who lives in Chino Hills off the 71.

Welcome.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
käthryn

No... the eBay store in not in that area ... its closer to Chino Hills. You speak of my competition. Boo on those guys!

Everyone in chino hills lives off of the 71 technically...

Nice to hear from someone older around this site... although everyone so far is pretty cool from what I can tell.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
TSW|Abaddon

Welcome! That was a very well thought out intro. I like your taste in fashion as well! Hell, I like your taste in everything!
TSW|Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
PersephoneX

that's so cute...now everyone is playing together quite nicely.
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-28-2006, 11:12 PM   #10
käthryn

I appreciate the mass accolades TSW! Are you really the mailman? If so, I'm curious how come so much mail is misdelivered... it perplexes me and my neighbors tire of bringing my mail to me that they got in their box. I can't discern whether the system is broken or my mailman has a reading problem... if you aren't really a mailman... then I've needlessly ranted.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #11
Ainadu

Your writing is very thoughtful and carefully laid out while also possessing a warm, down to earth feel. That ability to relate ideas in a friendly, encouraging manner is the hallmark of true intelligence.

Thank you for sharing with us, and welcome to the forums!
Ainadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
käthryn

Thanks, Ainadu, for the very nice interpretation of that which is me.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #13
insertwittyname

My only comments beside welcome. For some reason your eloquent way of writing matches the personality expressed in your icon >.< I have no clue why that is so to me.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #14
käthryn

What a bizarre comment... now I will be up all night trying to correlate how my avatar is actually representative of myself as depicted through writing. Either I am a marketing genius, or you know how to stimulate my mind... either way, I like it. Thanks, witty.

If anyone can verbalize the correlation between my avatar and my written self, please share so that I may reconcile this matter and sleep in peace again.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:40 PM   #15
käthryn

So as you can see I have been around for a few weeks now, so technically I'm still new and therefore still entitled to asking potentially dumb questions.

With that said, from scanning through many of the threads, I see a fair amount of disdain or negativity toward those dubbed as "emo". Almost the same way "mainstream society" is snubbed at, but with a little more vigor.

I have some questions:

1. How is an "emo" person defined? I have tried to look it up, but with the info I found to this point, I'm not sure I can pick one who is "emo" out of a crowd. Until I can fully understand "emo" I cannot form my own opinion of it.

2. Why is there a generally condescending attitude toward "emo" people by the average goth-type? Even a couple of people I talked to at work who, although non-goth, professed to know all about "emo" explained it to me by making fun of emos.

3. Are there trademark emo clothes, music preferences, stuff like that?

Anyhow, I'm not being judgmental or ignorant, just trying to catch up on stuff I missed while I was away from the goth world. Everyone has been really lovely here and I wanted to just ask instead of keep guessing or acting like I know to be cool ... I *implore* you to educate me.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

1) Emo was short of emotive hardcore; and offshoot of an offshoot of punk. It was supposed to be less violent than previous punk descendants (kind of like goth, but they kept the screams). Emo in itself would be nothing but a musical style; the problem is that the term has been bastardized almost as much as Punk and Goth.
Emo has changed to what self-proclaimed emos want it to be, and this is the term we now know.
For some reason, they related emotional to depressing; as if depression was the only emotion that exists. It's basically what has almost happened to Goth, except that there are no Elder Emos to which baby emos look upon.

2) Modern emos, with their obsession with depression, equated Goth as depressive (because it looks dark) and took some gothic stuff to their little groups. Examples: make-up and the color black as a main one.
Just as we make fun of babybats, we also make fun of those kids that are attracted to idiotic things like suicide, self-harm, hypocritic straight-edge self-procclamation, and "poetry", because there's no reason to like this other than the fact itself of trying to be emo.

3)The music is easily recognizable: sections of smooth lyrics, but with most of the song screaming, not in the form of Slipknot, but like My Chemical Romance (though they're not technically emo, unless you look at their general fanbase), and I have to say shallow lyrics.
Clothing is generally tight shirts and pants. Tight not as in "show your physique", but in "suck in your already anorexic body". The hair is interesting, but it's basically the same hair that is trendy in Asia (at least in Korea, a friend of mine from there tells me)
In preferences; not all emos are cutters or depressive, but the ratio of those who are to the ones that are not is too big not to be a generalization, just as we goths stand the burden of those kids that worship Marilyn Manson and poclaim themselves as devil-worshippers.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:47 PM   #17
insertwittyname

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIJyHmqkjJk

I love this. This should give you an idea.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:03 PM   #18
käthryn

Very helpful explanation, Jillian. And the video was hilarious, Witty. Between those two explanations so far, can emo have any longevity? Are there emos out there over the age of 25?

This info combined with what little I learned from other sources reminds me of nothing more than adolescent posing... where you aligned yourself with whatever group of people who were kind of your friends and by doing so, you defined yourself... until you got out of high school and had to get a job.