Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
Jayden

My.Name.Is.Jayden

Hi, my name is Jayden.
What is "Goth" to me?

3 things led me to the culture. The style, the music/art, and the depth of personality.

Ever since I started taking interest in girls, I was always attracted to the a dark figure. At first, it was simply long dark hair and dark eyes. As I grew, hitting middle school and high-school, the punk and goth girls always caught my eye. I just liked. I didn't get into the style until sophomore year in high school, but before that, I liked pants with a lot of pockets (cargo pants) and took interest in chrome and high tech style. The Gothic style, especially the cybergoth style fulfills the dark look I liked, the big pocket, as well as a futuristic look. (Though it also has roots in the medieval theme too) Also, my natural hair color is dark brown, along with the eyes, so it just kind of suited me. I looked in the mirror, and I like the way I looked. Fuck what anybody else thought of how I should dress.

Secondly, the music, and more generally, the art of the culture interested me. I think the first bands I got into were Korn and Limp Bizkit. Korn is related to the Goth culture, and Bizkit, well, I liked the thrash of metal and speed with a hint of rap. More recently, they started to suck hard, and as I got more into the culture Korn started to seem mainstream, but I've recently opened my mind back up to them. In high school I especially got into alot more music, which I thank friends such as Julie and Gabe (you know who you are), as well as my parents. Julie got me into some lighter stuff, 90's alternative and such, Gabe let me borrow huge ammounts of CD's, and my parents stash of the Heavy Metal from their childhood influenced me as well. Now I can stand just about any time of music, excluding 90% of country and most Commercialized rap (Eminem being a notable exception). Favorite bands for me now are those such as MSI, Marilyn Manson, Mushroom Head, Orgy, and a million other bands. Recently I'm liking Ayria and Angelspit, which I found through *gasp* vampirefreaks.com

The third is depth of personality and individualism. I was picked on all through elementary school heavily, most of middle school less, and in High school only slightly. I don't regret this though. Only through the pain of feeling alienated do I know how it feels, and that made me think deeply about being yourself and respecting what you think about yourself; if others didn't like how I dress, who I am, or what I'm into, then how is their opinion even valid to me? It was such a burst of confidence. It was long before I actually started dressing like this, but I feel that when that's when it stared.

What it's not about to me

Self-harm: This is one of the biggest stereotypes I hate. Gothism to me is confidence, it's saying fuck the world, I am who ever I want to be, and I am strong.

Drugs: Or more so, a dependence on them. I think if you're in control of a drug, that's fine. If it's recreational only, at partys and such. But if you do it on a daily basis and it consumes you :fail: To be honest, I've never touched a blunt in my life, but that's not to say I won't try it now that I'm in college.

Hate/bigotry: I actually found in an article that goths are stereotyped or thought to be bigotist. This astounds me, because gothism to me is the exact opposite. It's about saying fuck judging people based on appearance, race, gender etc. It's about depth to me and about personality.

Why I'm here

Well I like to broaden my horizons. Gothism interests me, for most of the reasons above. I also like to meet new people, as well as help people who are in need. I think that's important, and for that reason I spend a good amount of my time at the Vampire freaks message boards as well. They have an advice section where troubled kids can go to find help. I think it's just good for them to know that others are there for them, and I have a way with words, so I enjoy helping make them better people. Hell, I'd rather help these kids, correct the problem, rather than just complain that they're giving us a bad name.

Gothism to me, is a solution. An anti-drug, a dose of intelligence, a celebration of art, and an end to hatred.
Jayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

So what gothic bands do you like?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Pyre

KoRn, Jillian. Duh, the gothiest band of all. You should know that.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
Jayden

Lol, I don't just like "Goth" bands. In fact, labels revolt me. I have an incomplete on my *gasp* VF profile and even less complete list on my *faint* myspace I'm very open minded, and in my mind most of the lines are very blurred.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden
In fact, labels revolt me.
Yes. I wretch everytime I label a wolf as a member of the canis family. Wolves should be in the same family as fish and videogames.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
gnulinuxman

Welcome to gothic.net! I hope you'll enjoy it here as I have so far.
gnulinuxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
Draconysius

At least he's not saying "your all possers go an fukc yoruselves!!!1". Seriously, he at least has POTENTIAL. *sighs and smacks forhead*
Okay, Jayden, do us a little favor and go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_rock
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathrock
Please read the articles. These are what we believe to be gothic music.
We have nothing against your music, we just hope you'll give ours a chance.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Jayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Yes. I wretch everytime I label a wolf as a member of the canis family. Wolves should be in the same family as fish and videogames.

Hey, sorry. I know I'm new here, and you're obviously a regular. You have every right to tear me to shreds.

I shouldn't have said so strongly. I don't actually "wretch" at the idea of labels. My bad.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

It's not about wretching.
I always argue when someone talks about labels.
But what turned up so much my sarcasm was the fact that you say you don't like labels, yet your introduction is specifically about what the label of goth means to you.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 12-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #10
Jayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
At least he's not saying "your all possers go an fukc yoruselves!!!1". Seriously, he at least has POTENTIAL. *sighs and smacks forhead*
Okay, Jayden, do us a little favor and go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_rock
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathrock
Please read the articles. These are what we believe to be gothic music.
We have nothing against your music, we just hope you'll give ours a chance.
Heh thanks. I like expanding the horizons. I just think that if I were to say "I only listen to goth rock and death rock" then I'd be limiting myself and possibly even strengthening a stereotype.

Quote:
It's not about wretching.
I always argue when someone talks about labels.
But what turned up so much my sarcasm was the fact that you say you don't like labels, yet your introduction is specifically about what the label of goth means to you.
I agree. I'm only human. Again, my bad.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
An Eccentric Cellist

"Don't be cruel, Nini." To quote Moulin Rouge. Jilli, don't be mean, we all know what he(I'm guessing here, excuse me if I'm wrong) means. EDIT: But you are right it is slightly contradictory.

I barely ever visit so I have no right to welcome you, so hello. You sound intelligent enough for my tastes.

I take it that the majority here know what your talking about, so post a more present oriented bio, they are much more fun to read.

Oh and 'a lot' is two words.
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

Generally I'm not this bad, although I always try to be brusquely direct. Don't think I don't like you.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 12-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #13
Jayden

Well spoken, thanks for the hospitality everyone.

>.< I always do that...a lot.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #14
An Eccentric Cellist

Though you tend not to know when sarcasm will be wasted on dunderheads.

As this is Jayden's intro, so no one makes an assumption: Jayden, you get it, you're are not a dunderhead.

Screw it all! I'm always bloodly late! Grrr!
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #15
Jayden

Quote:
Generally I'm not this bad, although I always try to be brusquely direct. Don't think I don't like you.
Hey hey, I come from some pretty brutal forums, I'm not offended easily. Sometimes the harshest is the best.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:54 PM   #16
Pyre

Brutality is the initiation of G.net.
Welcome.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 12-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #17
korinna5555

pyre, i never got brutality. so either im not initiated *sob* or you all just loved me from day one! im thinking you all just love me.

and welcome jayden
Old 12-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #18
Pyre

I never got it either, but shh, we're exceptions. Don't tell anyone, our introductory threads might just get revived, and not in a way in which we will be pleased.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #19
korinna5555

*giggles* our little secret then?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:17 AM   #20
Minyaliel

Hah, you're not the only ones... I never got any sarcastic comments either. Anyway... what I really wanted to say:
1) Welcome! =D
2) Deathrock?! I must've missed something... are we talking about goth still? If deathrock's goth then I'm a preppy bubblegum- pop teen.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #21
Draconysius

Jayden, you don't have to listen to just goth and deathrock, just give it a chance and see if you like it, please. Oh, and welcome.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #22
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Hello, welcome.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #23
GoGoGadgetBooty

Location: I am currently located in North Carolina, but I hope to move further south for or after college.
Well I think you seem totally cool. Then again, I'm just as new as you. But even if I wasn't, I still wouldn't tear you to shreds.
GoGoGadgetBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #24
Jayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Jayden, you don't have to listen to just goth and deathrock, just give it a chance and see if you like it, please. Oh, and welcome.
Name a few bands, I've probably already listened to a few. Thanks. =)
Old 12-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #25
Minyaliel

The commonly known goth bands are Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy... but I guess you might know this already.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote