Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #26
Morrigan_Dubh

*pokes pyre with a Tucker Telephone and a Scold's Bridle*
Old 12-21-2006, 10:03 AM   #27
om3gag0th666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
By the way, Om3ga, you misspelled "incompetence" three times in a row. Now, I hope you're not going to say this, too, was a typo, hmm?
I had a hunch I spelled it wrong, then I just didn't give a shit, honestly.

Plus your comma abuse is hilarious.
om3gag0th666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:11 AM   #28
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3gag0th666
I had a hunch I spelled it wrong, then I just didn't give a shit, honestly.

Plus your comma abuse is hilarious.
And I just don't give a shit about how many times I use a comma.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #29
om3gag0th666

Yes, but I'll correct my spelling of incompetence until the day I die, if you insist on continuing your comma abuse, then you're an imbecile.

I have no qualms with being corrected; I just don't like being corrected incorrectly.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #30
Pyre

Too bad the use of the comma is more lax than incorrect spelling.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 12-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #31
om3gag0th666

The use of the comma is not that lax really, it's only 'lax' in the hands of a person unintiated in punctuation.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #32
Pyre

Quote:
The use of the comma is not that lax really, it's only 'lax' in the hands of a person unintiated in punctuation.
Ernest Hemingway had no idea as to how to use correct punctuation at all. He would write an entire page without using a single period. I am not too worried about punctuation

Old 12-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #33
cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothchild337
im not cole u idiot. its kris! cole is my old name. remember?
Whatever your name is, YOU are the idiot. At least he is typing in correct english. Correct me if I'm wrong but the banner says bone chilling literary culture, not netspeak culture.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:50 PM   #34
om3gag0th666

Quote:
Ernest Hemingway had no idea as to how to use correct punctuation at all. He would write an entire page without using a single period. I am not too worried about punctuation
That's great, that's called stream of conciousness, and is used in poetry. Also, an editor will correct bad punctuation unless used for an effect.

Please show me evidence that Hemmingway did not know how to use correct punctuation at all, I find it hard to believe, I wish I would have read something of his to be able to make a proper rebuttal, but I can't.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #35
Pyre

Funny how you harp on me for my use of a comma when you're using commas to separate completely different thoughts. Do I sense a comma splice anywhere?

And my mistake. It was not Hemingway I was thinking of, it was Faulkner.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #36
om3gag0th666

I've read work of Faulkner; so you are wrong there. He uses punctuation quite well, and yes, I made a minor comma splice.

It's pretty rare I do that, but your abuse commas, or just don't use them at all when on the defensive. Are you afraid of making an accident?
Old 12-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #37
Pyre

No, I simply don't need commas all the time. The abuse in which you accused me of was out of laziness, and the only reason I had so many is because I added thoughts and pauses in my sentence. Is that so incorrect? I think not.

Do research on Faulkner, will you? Better yet, let me show you the way:
http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?Reques...&section=notes
Read the second paragraph. What you read of his that may be correct likely is the work of his editors rather than himself.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:36 AM   #38
Morrigan_Dubh

I bet 50 quatloos on the newcomer!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:41 AM   #39
om3gag0th666

Quote:
No, I simply don't need commas all the time. The abuse in which you accused me of was out of laziness, and the only reason I had so many is because I added thoughts and pauses in my sentence. Is that so incorrect? I think not.

Do research on Faulkner, will you? Better yet, let me show you the way:
http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?Reques...&section=notes
Read the second paragraph. What you read of his that may be correct likely is the work of his editors rather than himself.
Yes it is incorrect, it's called comma abuse. You need a coordinating conjunction, or other rules come into play that also allow you to use commas. I cannot just use commas as if I were speaking, that is amateur stuff. Teachers tell you that when you are young, but it really doesn't apply. It's a good rule to follow when you're about eleven, but it doesn't function well on the college level.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #40
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
(said with brain pulsating under a glass dome...)
100 Quatloos that the newcomer will have to be destroyed!
(kidding, but I just HAD to complete the classic rejoinder!)

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:13 PM   #41
Pyre

Quote:
Yes it is incorrect, it's called comma abuse. You need a coordinating conjunction, or other rules come into play that also allow you to use commas. I cannot just use commas as if I were speaking, that is amateur stuff. Teachers tell you that when you are young, but it really doesn't apply. It's a good rule to follow when you're about eleven, but it doesn't function well on the college level.
Regardless, the only reason you're even attacking me is because I put a comma before and after "too" because of the pause in thought, and also because I added "hmm" at the end -- something unecessary in writing anyway -- and added a comment before it.