Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #26
GirlsNotMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
Ah, but GirlsNotMe, you're just proving his point! There can be no such thing as the omnipotent, omnipresent monotheistic god that they worship so much.

Others got it wrong with Auroborus, too. The supposed perfect being created at the beginning of the universe.
No, I am not proving his point.

God is just as subjective as what Goth is.

...Man, THAT sounds funny.
GirlsNotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #27
Godslayer Jillian

Well, regarding God, I don't think anyone can genuinely say He's both perfect and cruel.
Those who think He's perfect won't call Him cruel.
And those who think He's cruel will call Him anything but perfect.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #28
GirlsNotMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spright
He can be both perfect and cruel. Perfectly cruel.
Roughly, yes.

It brings about the Euthyphro/Socrates argument (by Plato)...is what is perfect considered holy because God does it, or is it holy because it is perfect? Is perfection a property of holiness, or is holiness a property of perfection?

Either way, it's still flawed, but its fun to think about.
GirlsNotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #29
Born Again

Quote:
I wear cotton briefs, does that make me a genius? I refuse to wear veils, that is so girly.
Your genius has potential. Though I recommend replacing the briefs, they make you appear arrogant at times.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
I did find ithem synonymous as I looked through the Thesaurus of Faux Intellect and Language Skills.
I think it's way beyond time we deconstructed "goth".
655322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:34 AM   #31
Morrigan_Dubh

Arguing on the internet i like competing in the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded...

*ducks*
Old 02-05-2007, 05:58 AM   #32

A gold medal is a gold medal. Anyway, it's Paralympics. fool. I'm special so don't argue with me.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:18 AM   #33
Morrigan_Dubh

Well, the Paralympics are mainly for athletes who have physical disabilities.
http://www.paralympic.org/release/Ma...enu/index.html

"Traditionally there are athletes who belong to six different disability groups in the Paralympic Movement: amputee, cerebral palsy, visual impairment, spinal cord injuries, intellectual disability and a group which includes all those that do not fit into the aforementioned groups (les autres)."

The Special Olympics are for athletes with learning disabilities or intellectual disabilities.
http://www.specialolympics.org/
My hometown hosted them in 2003 - the first time they had been held outside of the US. It was actually really exciting.
http://gallery.adnet.ie/flat_area_co...000_entry.html
Old 02-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #34

I didn't know the difference. I would pass for both competitions. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #35
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainteddogma0
I have come to the conclusion that if any band has became popular enough to be liked by millions of people then it can in no way be a gothic band.
Congratulations! You actually figured it out! Tell her what she's won, Lestat!
Seriously, gothic music is not entirely defined by its level of popularity, it's defined by its sound, a gloomy offshoot of punk with heavy glam influences, among others. Its lyrics are almost always metaphorical, and can never be figured out in one or two listens.

On the posted conversation, I'm with many people on here when I say I found it very difficult to understand the vocabulary. I really could not comprehend what this person is trying to say.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #36
Draconysius

In regardance to Jillian claiming Goth is a musically-based subculture:
You're only half-right. It's true that, without knowing the music, many goths wouldn't identify themselves as such. However, keep in mind that the goth subculture was around before its music. In fact, Bauhaus started wearing black only after their fans started showing up to shows looking undead.

Goth is a mindset first, and a subculture second. Someone can be goth as long as they identify themselves to be, and possess certain "qualities" that others lack. You may be surprised to know this, but a lot of goths in Great Britain don't even listen to gothic music; yet they're the most intelligent, introspective, and decadent people one will ever meet.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:20 AM   #37
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I hate what people have made out of Goth...

If someone believes being goth gives you superpowers to know the meaning of life and instantaneously transforms your writings from shit to 'tortured poetry' I'm going to shoot you.
This is the same of many genres, lifestyles, and fan-bases. There will be people who consider themselves exciting by association with exciting art, literature, games etc. We all do it, to a greater or lesser extent. That's what you do when you were a t-shirt with a band name on it, don't you think?
It's a no-brainer to stay away from and avoid indulging in conversation with those who take this to an extreme. You'll just end up looking like an idiot if you try and reason with them. The chat conversation you posted is a very good example.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #38
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
What do I have to say? You cannot spell, and you cannot write.

You make me depressed, almost suicidal.
I had a terrible sinus headache when I posted that. Sorry about that, I can't have you going around killing yourself due to my actions.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:07 AM   #39
Lynn377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
In regardance to Jillian claiming Goth is a musically-based subculture:
You're only half-right. It's true that, without knowing the music, many goths wouldn't identify themselves as such. However, keep in mind that the goth subculture was around before its music. In fact, Bauhaus started wearing black only after their fans started showing up to shows looking undead.

Goth is a mindset first, and a subculture second. Someone can be goth as long as they identify themselves to be, and possess certain "qualities" that others lack. You may be surprised to know this, but a lot of goths in Great Britain don't even listen to gothic music; yet they're the most intelligent, introspective, and decadent people one will ever meet.
Thank you so much for saying this. I wish everyone would try to see it this way.
Lynn377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #40
Momento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Go Colts! (current score: Colts: 16 Bears 14 Sorry Black Butterfly! )
You'll be far more Goth when you realize that footballs are round. Da Bears play oblong ball.
Momento Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #41
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momento Mori
You'll be far more Goth when you realize that footballs are round. Da Bears play oblong ball.
I'm not a sports fan but when will you guys ever learn that the football is oblong, we stole the name fair and square.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #42
Zenit

Quote:

Well, in the UK, all you have to do to create goths is to give a non-chav an eyeliner

"Nutrizone can kiss my pale, decayed ass"
-Draconysius
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #43
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I know this statement will be an absolute, but as far as I know there are not absolutes in this world. But I could be wrong. I am willing to take that.

And this conversation, was, I don't think I could find the right word right now to describe it.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #44
angelic mortician

Location: ye olde isle of man (that insignificant isle floating around in the irish sea)
that really was quite a conversation and rant.
i have to say, i agree with you completely.
although, i can't help but think that the original point you were trying to make sparked off many different conversations regarding many different topic.
it was like an msn meeting with strangers having fun arguments about nothing.
i thoroughly enjoyed it.
i need to get out more!
angelic mortician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #45
Miss_Hazie_Lane

you're completely right, I have nothing more to say.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #46
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsNotMe
No, I am not proving his point.

God is just as subjective as what Goth is.

...Man, THAT sounds funny.
Actually no. Goth is well defined and has been since the 80's. Anything one might consider new is wrong.

Manson, Hot Topic, Evennansce, My Chemical Romance, and whatever else MTV throws out there and says is 'goth' these days does NOT make it goth.

Goth is NOT subjective.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #47
Amledo

Location: Cruddy little town in the heart of midwestern farm country
I think that Goth is what you make of it. Not the clothes, not the music, and not reading Anne Rice. It is more a state of being, a mind set, and if anything Goth is personality. I do not believe that my writing abilities come from a tortured soul that bleeds depressing or romantic accounts of the supernatural, I am just a writer. And if anyone tried to justify calling me Goth just because I was holding an Anne Rice book or listening to Rammstein then I'd probably lose it. The conversation that started this thread made little sense to me, and the ensuing arguements even less so. Being Goth does not make one non-conforming or special, hell if that were the case then the rest of the social cliques should just line up and be told what they have to write, read or listen to. But I am ranting, I am not sure that I have said all that I meant to but I'll leave it alone for now.
Amledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #48
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Actually no. Goth is well defined and has been since the 80's. Anything one might consider new is wrong.

Manson, Hot Topic, Evennansce, My Chemical Romance, and whatever else MTV throws out there and says is 'goth' these days does NOT make it goth.

Goth is NOT subjective.
Please tell me the universal definition of goth.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 AM   #49
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm
I concur. Now I'm off to wear lots of white and listen to tATu...
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:11 AM   #50
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm
"Goth with a sledgehammer"

http://www.fehq.org/public/whatgoth.htm

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote