Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Kraven de Sade

Making your own clothes

Does anyone know a good website or other resource where I can learn to make my own clothes? I've made collars and wrist bands and such before, but those are all highly adjustable to fit different sizes... very different than producing a garment designed to fit a single specific size, and lacking the need of measuring so that the finished product actually fits.

Any help would be appreciated.
Kraven de Sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Tin_Lizzie

If you are truly a beginner, start with a book, such as Sewing 101: beginner’s manual. The public library will have lots of choices and it doesn’t cost anything to sample different guidebooks. You can also find simple patterns at JoAnn’s to start out, expect to absolutely ruin your first few attempts and learn from them – tailoring is really hard work. Start with cheap fabrics such as cotton broadcloth. I used to sew a lot in cotton velveteen: it’s easier to work with than silk velvet, and you can wash it in the machine (cold, gentle) rather than dry-clean. Once you get the hang of basic shirts & jackets, you can add frills and puffed sleeves onto any pattern. I started sewing when I was 13, and by the time I was in college, I could copy designs and cut out my own patterns. This sounds cheesy, but start with doll clothes – learn to tailor on a small scale and then make it in your size
Tin_Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
Minyaliel

Here you go - not exhaustive, but still a good resource: http://sewing.patternreview.com/ & http://sewing.about.com. Apart from those, you can't go wrong with the library. Wonderful place.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Kraven de Sade

Ooh, thanks, both of you. I'll take a look at those.
Kraven de Sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
DarkHeartedDemoness

Anyone know how to make a bustle?

I'm going to Convergence and modifying this dress I have to fit the Victorian theme, and I've decided to add a bustle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:53 AM   #6
Tin_Lizzie

Bustles are quite a feat of engineering, if you want the semi-crinoline variety. The ones used in modern bridalwear look like a residual limb, and usually the bride goes for the despised buttbows.

I’d use heavy interfacing to make a form and pad it with stuffing, attached under the dress. Or you could make a fall of ruffles forming a train. I used to have a great book from the V&A with detailed patterns for corsets, bustles and farthingales as well as antique dresses, but I lost it a few moves ago. Argh, so frustrating! It’s out of print now.

Convergence, eh? I usually don’t make it back to Mpls before June. Last year I went to DiversiCon.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:18 AM   #7
Tin_Lizzie

Oops, I see my error. You mean Convergence 13 in Portland, which looks far and away better than CONvergence in Minneapolis.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Lizzie
Bustles are quite a feat of engineering, if you want the semi-crinoline variety. The ones used in modern bridalwear look like a residual limb, and usually the bride goes for the despised buttbows.

I’d use heavy interfacing to make a form and pad it with stuffing, attached under the dress. Or you could make a fall of ruffles forming a train. I used to have a great book from the V&A with detailed patterns for corsets, bustles and farthingales as well as antique dresses, but I lost it a few moves ago. Argh, so frustrating! It’s out of print now.

Convergence, eh? I usually don’t make it back to Mpls before June. Last year I went to DiversiCon.
There's one in Minneapolis?

I moved here a couple of months ago and I have yet to find a "goth scene". I don't get out much, anyway, so I haven't really been lamenting it, but finding it would be nice.

Thanks for your help!
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
Tin_Lizzie

CONvergence is a Sci-Fi convention, held at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel on the first weekend in July. Most of the attendees are trekkies and geeks. However, they do hold a costume contest called the “Masquerade.” One year, I sewed a Napoleonic (19th-C) naval uniform for my husband and a gown for me. I thought perhaps that you referred to the Masquerade. DiversiCon is a bookish little SFF convention in August, no costumes just cool local authors and intelligent panels. They’re always looking for suggestions and I’m sure they’d welcome a more gothic theme. When I move back to Mpls permanently, they’re getting one whether they know it or not (Mwahaha!).

Check out the Uptown area, ignore the Gap and head for Ragstock. Dinkytown is also a good haunt, if it hasn’t gone completely upscale by now. My favorite magic shop is Magus Books at 13th & 4th St. SE. And don’t be afraid of the free entertainment on the MTC. I love the bus, it’s like street theatre.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
DarkHeartedDemoness

I -love- Magus! I got my pretty oil diffuser there.

Oh, and as a small-town girl, buses terrify me.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 02-19-2007, 01:14 AM   #11
Lucretia_my_Reflection

I made a white netting tutu skirt to wear under a skirt to give it a touch more ompfh.
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:37 AM   #12
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
I made a dress. Or am making. It's a work in progress. . .I had to expand the skirt due to cutting errors (never drink and cut fabric at the same time), and then the damn fabric started to fray at the seams. . .but it seems to be coming along now.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote