Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #26
Vyvian Blackthorne

Dr8gs bad?? WTF??? HOLT SHIP!! MMmmmm flying pandas floating chairs
Vyvian Blackthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #27
BlackWidow

Wow, this is like, totally turning into a serious conversation now...Lol. And yes, I am so totally gay dudes...my husband doesnt know yet. Lol.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #28
Haunted House

I'm pretty sure that caffeine and nicotine burn holes in your brain, make you stupid and get you arrested. I guess I'll stop. I sure don't want to be flamed for being a wussy square.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #29
Godslayer Jillian

I have a bigger problem with nicotine than any other drug. It's effects are entirely physical. It does nothing for a creative mind. Even alcohol can at least make you hallucinate.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #30
Haunted House

**THIS IS ONLY AN OPPINION**
(Don't get pissed at me for having values)

Nicotine calms my nerves and I have a creative enough mind as is. Yeah, I know its bad for my lungs, but its my choice. Drugs are for hookers and people who hate themselves, but again, thats their choice not mine. While people think hallucinating makes them creative, how original is that? Not very if you ask me.

**THIS IS ONLY AN OPPINION**
(Don't get pissed at me for having values)
Old 02-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #31
Mir

That is the problem with drugs. Dependence issues. I don't have a dependency issue but I know that the problem is serious and it exists. The minute you start taking drugs as a form of escapism is the minute you're royally fucked.

On a parting note; Pot doesn't make you any stupider than you already are, nor does it make you any smarter. Alcohol does make you stupider. I'm not sure how many people see the irony of alcohol being legal while pot is not.

People who use drugs to spur their creativity are fucking fools. I don't care what anyone says. A lot of them end up dead. Thats just how I see it.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #32
Godslayer Jillian

Heh, I won't get pissed, but I'll recommend you to read the book Schrodinger's Cat, by Robert Anton Wilson.
I would have the same values in the 'not using drugs to enhance imagination' policy, but I have no problem with people that use drugs for this end.
The only reason drugs seem bad is because of the indoctrinated beliefs that become second nature to us.
We could reduce our argument to a matter of honor, advocating that no one should alter his mentality with hallucinogenic substances, but then we would have to be ready to say goodbye to such great minds as Lewis Carrol and Edgar Allan Poe.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #33
Godslayer Jillian

EDIT: My main argument against drugs is that they're not needed. That 'high on life' is both possible and literal. I'm having the same effects as a friend on amphetamines right now and I didn't take anything. People underestimate the power of the mind on the body.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #34
Mir

The power of the mind is limited only by your imagination and it is amazing how drugs can open you to possibilities never thought possible.

I, myself abhor manufactured drugs, but I'm absolutely pro-naturally growing drugs for the most part, and that in my (and others) opinion has helped our evolution along.

Carl Sagan was partial to pot. Makes you think doesn't it?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #35
Godslayer Jillian

Well, it doesn't surprise me.
My drug would be knowledge (ignore the PBS sound of that)
I get a high when I reason what I know and realize what I didn't.
I call it an existential orgasm, as I said in another thread. The realization of both the gargantuan magnitude, the minuscule insignificance, and the swift instant that makes up Existence makes me think in illogical abstracts and non-sequitur time lines.
That's good enough for me.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #36
Mir

Hey whatever gets you there, I'm all for it. I should go read up on existentialism. Knowledge gets me off too. My hope is we can learn and do enough, evolve and get the fuck off this planet.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #37
Godslayer Jillian

Oh, don't get much into existentialism. I don't believe in it. But it indeed is an interesting subject.
The name 'Existential Orgasm' roots from Existence, not Existentialism.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #38
Mir

Is the Existentialism post on wikipedia accurate? Is there an Existentialism thread on the board?

I am more aligned to Descartes philosophy and I'll quote him. "Humans could doubt all existence, but could not will away or doubt the thinking consciousness, whose reality is therefore more certain than any other reality."

My whole idea that this world is an illusion and has been miscreated by us is completely based on that argument. Existentialism however, rejects this idea completely.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #39
Godslayer Jillian

I made a thread with those specific arguments ("It's the chicken and the egg all over again") in the General Section.
Hilariously enough, some didn't read the thread at all and did argue about the chicken and the egg.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #40
Mir

Ahh, some compelling posts in there but to be fair, I already believe in essence over existence. I don't know how I missed that thread, it was probably the thread title that scared me off. I need to get something on Descartes. A real book and not an article on Wikipedia. Suggestions?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #41
Godslayer Jillian

I once read a book on the main philosophers and ideologies through the ages, and the writing that stood out from Descartes for me was his Principia Philosophiae. But I have no idea if it is a book or an essay.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #42
darkangel81

I think that was an essay. not really sure though. it's been awhile since i had to remember my first year philosophy classes. Wasn't that one of his earlier works?
darkangel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #43
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I'm drug free and I plan on staying that way, I want to experience the world as it is without it being distorted. Despite the fact that there is tons of stuff I don't want to remember.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #44
Cicero

Ah, the wonderful ways in which terrible threads go off topic...

Time to contribute.

My opinion on drugs: some are fun, some aren't. Either way they're certainly an experience. Magic mushrooms are the only ones I'd do again though, and that's purely so I may engage in further discussion of the meaning of life with my bathroom wall.

I say legalise everything, it's easier that way.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #45
darkangel81

Legalising drugs has the advantage that the flow of drugs in easier controlled because then all drugs are sold "over the counter". This way it will be possible to control how much drugs people are using. Plus it reduces drug related crime. I'm from Holland, where as you probably know soft drugs are legal. The weed is sold in coffee shops which has stopped dealers from selling it on the streets because it's just not profitable.
darkangel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #46
badteccy

I am against doing drugs myself, but if people decide to do what they want with THEIR bodies, who am I to judge? I certainly don't think it's a wise decision, but I don't automatically think they are bad people.
I mean, it's whatever.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #47
BlackWidow

Wow this thread went from "Slipknot or Cradle" to Drugs and Nicotine...strange. But oh well. We just got this new place in our town called the "Hooka Bar." You have to be 18+ to be there. You pick what flavor of tobacco you want (they have lots of different flavors) and they bring it out to you in a huge 3 foot tall hooka and they put burning coals on top of it. You take a huge hit and it last up to an hour or more. It's flavored tobacco but it's kinda like smoking weed because it makes you feel relaxed and high. It's so cool.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #48
manequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
your gay cos my insecurity says so!!! ppl whop accus othr ppl of bein gay r hiding their own sexual insecurity. lyk t0tallyXx
Does that mean if I were to say: I like the feel of co*k (just wanted 2 be on the safe side) then I must be straight? Thats messsed up man! But yeah cradle of filth totally kick slipknots masked asses!
manequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #49
Godslayer Jillian

Well, he's not being serious with that. Drac is very eloquent. It's obvious when he's joking around.
This thread was one of his indulgences in a bored episode, but it ended up being an interesting discussion of the acceptance of drugs in our culture.

P.S.
If Drugs = Bad
Then Nicotine = Worse
Because Nicotine < Drugs

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 03-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #50
Vyvian Blackthorne

nU way D00d ROFL i lek dunO i liek both of dem cuz theyzzes kickin mus aes OMG OMG OMG they is lKE asosososososo gofff dey only zr gofff mands i ny oh XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD a thousands XD's

Yes, Jillian's right all the way, Drac's indulgence as lost its way from Alabama and all the way to these boards. It's actually irony because he seriously detests these bands and their stereotype toward others thinking it's goth. Oh and as for Slipknot, why the hell have people been thinking their ripping off KoRn? If anything, they're stealing Limp Dick Bizcuit. Anyway this bored is over I'm gonna go lay in my coffin again.