Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:57 AM   #1
Drake Dun

Fun with cults.

So my friend and I are walking from here to there downtown, and we happen across this unusual building. I would describe it as being in a sort of neo-classical Western style.  There are some pictures here.

http://www.kofuku-no-kagaku.or.jp/sh...kyo/tokyo.html

The building is called the 正心館 (しょうしんかん・shoushinkan), which transliterates to "true heart hall". I knew in the broad strokes what it was immediately, and of course I had to go inside.

I got the usual warm greeting. The people there were all quite cordial and even laughed, apparently genuinely, at my friend's intentionally irreverant jokes. It turns out that the organization is called 幸福の科学 (こうふくのかがく・koufuku no kagaku), which transliterates as "happiness science" but which they call in English, "The Institute for Research in Human Happiness."

Here's the English Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofuku_no_Kagaku

My favorite prediction for the future: "Within the next 100 years... there will be war in the Middle East". Say it ain't so.

It's a garden variety Eastern syncretic cult. Perhaps their only claim to originality is their deliberate focus on the synthesis of Eastern and Western traditions. If you look at the picture on the lower right in that link, you will see a couple of angels, above which hang a circular object. You can't see in the photo, but they are flanked on the lower left by a bunch of bodhasittvas (sp?!), and on the right by a bunch of angels. It's rather a nice piece of art, and there are others there. The stained glass windows were part of what attracted me in the first place. There are dolphins, feathers, and wonderful pastel colors here and there. Some of it is really nice.

I went in and asked for some literature. They took me to an area which looked like a book store, and handed me several pamphlets for free (They are filled with personality tests... What color is your soul? Which inner goddess resides within you?). Then we proceeded to a kind of sitting/studying room, and that's where my interest died, instantly and eternally.

There was what looked liked a shrine to some deceased founder (we found out quickly that he is still alive). Below his picture are seven names... I can't remember them all, but the idea is that this guy is the current reincarnation in a series defined by those seven. The list included the obligatory Gautama, although curiously, not Jesus, and a few other familiar names. Apparently Hermes was a person (not a god) in their doctrine. Thoth is on the list, but they explained to us that he is from Atlantis (we thought he hailed from Egypt).

The man himself is some guy named Ryuuhou Ookawa. He prefers the honorary "El Cantare". Now don't get me wrong. Drake is not my birth name, but it's how I introduce myself... I think everyone should have a creative name, and more than one name. The difference is, mine does not mean (according to my enthusiastic followers) "The beautiful land of light, the Earth".

There's a picture here.

http://www.kofuku-no-kagaku.or.jp/whatsirh/sosai.html

<sarcasm>He looks like a real charmer.</sarcasm> Almost the first thing they tell you on that page is that he is a law graduate of Tokyo University and studied finance in New York after first working in a trading company here in Tokyo. Tokyo University is the Japanese equivalent of Harvard or Yale, and it's the heart and soul of the old boys' network over here.

Stop, go back, and read that again. Tokyo University, law, trading, finance. A rare glimpse into the inner workings of Drake's mind: Given this information only, the man can never be trusted. End of analysis.

Maybe you're not as judgmental as me, but it gets better. Have a look at the photo of the building in that first link. See the gold lettering in the top center? What you are looking at is a large circle, actually a letter "O", with a partially encompassed "R" hanging down from its center. R.O. Ryuuhou Ookawa.

And in the photo of the guy. See a medallion hanging from his neck? In the center: "R.O." In the photo in the shrine to the leader I mentioned before, he has got the initials not only on his medallion, but on both lapels.

If I ever start a cult, please join it. If I ever wear my own initials in three places on my own clothing, and put it on buildings, please give me a cyanide kool-aid and take over the cult yourself (Tell them I have "moved on to the next level").

I do not understand you humans. Why is it that every time you start to get all excited and religious, what it really turns out to mean is slavish devotion to some charismatic megalomaniac? Why can't you see that Ookawa is no different from Abraham, Guatama, Jesus, Crowley... take your pick?

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
c130

My dad's in a cult. Sahaja Yoga. It's even madder than the one you're describing, but my dad's adamant that it's all true and genuine. -_- For fuck's sake, anyone who claims to be a god/godess/saviour/messiah and starts a religion around that isn't someone who you should be trusting to do any good to your spirituality or mind.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
republigoth

Starting a cult is my retirement plan.
republigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Wow, I would sign over all of my material possessions just on the grounds of his most heavenly perfect hair! He must be a deity with hair like that!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
killer_asian_Dax

With hair like that he looks like the morgatge broker from heck. Come to rule the world. Although I must say- that okkesa looking thing around his shoulders is kind of nice. And the building- opulent.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
ArtificialOne

I want to start a robot cult who's followers will then become the psychophants of the supreme overlord AI when it takes over us all........ lol I need more tacos...

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Engulfed_in_darkness

I'm only 14 and in 9th grade and a long long while ago I started a creepy little cult back then. It had a total of 9 members that would all meet. People looked at us weird(well, they always did before it), but then the school thought we were planning on pulling a columbine, and then called in our parents! Weird yet hilarious experience. All there parents looked at me weirdly during the conference because I was the "leader" as the dean said. The dean called me a "young David Koresh". And I'm thinking, "You have got to be kidding me... -_-".
Me and my friends forgot about it but we remember and laugh about the incident every now and then. xD
Engulfed_in_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
republigoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
I want to start a robot cult who's followers will then become the psychophants of the supreme overlord AI when it takes over us all........ lol I need more tacos...
rewire the terminator (minus the frail human flesh) to be a sex robot, and I'm in.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Wow, I would sign over all of my material possessions just on the grounds of his most heavenly perfect hair! He must be a deity with hair like that!
Dude, so many people in Japan, men and women both, have picture perfect hair. Or very *neat* hair, anyway. I have never figured out how they do it.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
ArtificialOne

OYG!! I love you republigoth!!!! Could you see it in your heart to love a big tall android such as myself!!! lol

hehehe

I'm all giddy right now!!!

All this talk of robots and sex has gotten me all excited!

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 02-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #11
republigoth

Quote:
OYG!! I love you republigoth!!!! Could you see it in your heart to love a big tall android such as myself!!! lol

hehehe

I'm all giddy right now!!!

All this talk of robots and sex has gotten me all excited!
Well now there's no mystery as to what your fetish is

If I'm not mistaken we live about 9,500 miles apart, so you'll have to come up with some cyber/human synthasis like that episode of x-files where the girl dies right after uploading herself to the net. Or move.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #12
Vako

The building reminds me of the TBN studios in Orange County. TBN is also very cult-like, and they have an S-load of money, therefore they can afford buildings like that.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
ArtificialOne

Hehe I remember that one it was great. I also enjoyed the one where the guy turned himself into steel.

Your not in Or right now? I'm in central cali. Your not to far from portland. I'd love to live about 30mins from a cool city with a scene like that to go and party to and then return home wasted and dejected... lol

And why only one fetish there's so many machines... cough... lmao

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-01-2007, 01:43 AM   #14
republigoth

I'm still in OR, I misunderstood you to still be in AUS. I guess you're 600 miles away then.

Quote:
And why only one fetish there's so many machines... cough... lmao
Yeah, I've probably seen videos of those ones to. Are you A.S.F.R.? You inspired me see if there's a word for people like you in wikipedia. I know there's quite a few words for people like me. None of which I will mention presently.

My only robot rule is that all incorperated machines must be compatable with my ipod: http://users.static.freeblog.hu/s/t/.../potd/iGod.jpg
Old 03-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #15
ArtificialOne

hehehe Yeah Ipod compat is a must for anything...even my old car.

I didn't even know about asfr, but now that I do, yes I prolly will be a memeber soon.. lmao

Why have VR when you can have a real robot woman!!! lol I could make so many jokes.. (which I will tonight when I have time)

Great thing about the english language is that there as so many descriptive words, and if they're none, we can make some up!!!!

Now I have to go and molest my ipods music list.. whoops I meant modify.... lmao

P.T. Barnum

Vist me: