Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Firestorm

(Rant) I hate Microsoft Windows

This is a random-rambling rant about Microsoft Windows.

A few days ago the register crapped out on the Ethernet configuration settings. Ipconfig would only show "media state disconnected".
Ok, so i did what i always do, google it. The problem is that nobody could point of the exact problem and solution despite that i gave them all the info i could. Most of the solutions involved hacking the registry.
Who the hell came up with the idea of using a complex register to store configs? The windows register is a bunch of crap. Too complex both in implementation and interface. Apparently the folks at microsoft decided that binary formats are better than simply putting all the plain-text config files in one folder (/etc anyone?).
This left me with the usual universal Windows fix: reinstall. Right, so started reinstalling windows and suddenly it says that it can't find any hard disks. A SATA driver was not present in the installation disc.

HOW THE HELL CAN THERE BE NO SATA DRIVER?!

How the hell does Microsoft expect me to install Windows without having access to the target disc?! This is retarded. I don't know what the folks at Microsoft this, but they need to have their head checked.

After a lot of fiddling with diskettes, IDE cables (hate these things) and SATA adaptors i finally had a working (sort of) installation. Then came the driver problems. First, i had no sound or graphics driver. Second, i had no network driver, which means that i can't download any drivers. A generic driver for network cards would be nice.

After a few hours i had the necessary drivers on a CD that my friend burned. Ahh, the joys of a working system.
Time to download an antivirus program and a proper firewall.
While downloading, the system started to act...weird. First it started slowing down, then popups start filling the screen and finally i see files being wiped out.
The Windows installation had succumed to malware in less than five minutes on the internet.

In anger i threw in an Ubuntu Linux CD and eradicated Windows from the hard drive.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Cyntrox

Haha, sounds like windows!

I know where you're comming from... I mean, why can 2 installations of windows never be the same?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Mirazatha

This is why Linux is every good thing ever done rolled into one, and Microsoft is a few rungs lower on the ladder than the gunk that gunk gets on its shoes. Personally, i have a friend who can basically just stick a big magnet on it and wipe it, then fix it and install stuff from a new boot disk, so i dont have to worry about it.
Mirazatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
Mir

I've been using Windows 2000 for years. I have never had any problems whatsoever. My PC has an average uptime of atleast a week and I reinstall the OS once a year if at all. I would never use 98/ME/XP though. I hate those OS's.

I also run Slackware on another machine. No problems there either.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
Valerius

Harharhar, that's why I use a Mac. No virus, no crashes, no meltdowns, no nothing.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Go Ubuntu! I'm using it right now. I still have Windows on my machine as it comes in handy every once in a while, but I use Linux most of the time. I managed to install an NTFS read/write thing in Ubuntu (instructions can be found in the Ubuntu forum, by the way) so I can use my entire hard drive from Linux.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:38 AM   #7
Minyaliel

Linux is great, I've been using it for years. Not without any trouble, mind you, but then I can't stop fiddling around with it, so it's probably ny fault. Am currently using PCLinuxOS 2007, which is absolutely great.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:05 AM   #8
CptSternn

SATA wasn't on the market yet when XP was rolled out. I had the same issue when I setup on my my SATA drives - having to hit F6 during the installation to put in the drivers.

That being said, I found this site...

http://integrator.siginetsoftware.co...x.php?download

Ryan VM Intergrator which kicks much arse. It automatically adds updates/patches/drivers to your XP install image so once installed you don't need to update from the web or have to hit F6 during install. I have all the drivers I need, and more, plus a few apps now plus SP2 and over 150+ sercurity updates all in my one XP disk.

I also use Vista now, and yes, I even have Slackware on my old P3/800 here as well, but anyone who uses XP or installs it often really needs a slipstreamed disc to get by these days with all the news updates and hardware coming out.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
MotherofMercies

Don't ever get me started with Windows ME.

OMG what hot steaming pile of cow's shit festering in the sun.

Ok I'll shut up now.
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
SATA wasn't on the market yet when XP was rolled out. I had the same issue when I setup on my my SATA drives - having to hit F6 during the installation to put in the drivers.
Maybe so, but the installation cd was made in 2006 (SP2). As far as i know, microsoft adds drivers to the CD as time goes by.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
angst-zine

Ok, to all of you that are Linux fans,

Don't get me wrong, Linux is great for servers, but at the same time, I went a full year using Linux as a desktop system, and I'd have to say that there were times I really wished I had some of the basic features that came with Windows, not to mention the fact that updating software can be a real pain in the arse! (Although I miss some of the features that come with Linux now that I am back with Windows)

I do web development, and I would have to say that Linux just doesn't cut it. No matter which variant you use (I've tried a few), it just isn't built for workstation type computing. BSD (I know... not Linux) is great for retrieving data off of a virus-infected Windows hard drive though. ; ) In conclusion: there is still a long way to grow... Upside: It doesn't crash. : )
angst-zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:20 AM   #12
dark_dragon_of_ice

Vista ultimate for free ftw.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:22 AM   #13
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst-zine

Don't get me wrong, Linux is great for servers, but at the same time, I went a full year using Linux as a desktop system, and I'd have to say that there were times I really wished I had some of the basic features that came with Windows, not to mention the fact that updating software can be a real pain in the arse!
Updating software on windows is a pain in the ass. Hunting down every update to every piece of software and then installing them manually.

Ubuntu (or any other Debian based distro) has this wonderfull thing called apt-get.

apt-get update - downloads and installs all updates.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #14
Crying_Crimson_Tears

KILL ALL PCs!!!!!! MACS ARE BETTER!!!!

Sorry, I love my Mac, and I love Macs in general. I also like anything that Apple puts out. Apple is my best friend.

My boyfriend and I constantly argue over this. *Laughs* It's a cute argument.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
Firestorm

Mac OS (or linux & bsd for that matter) does not escape my wrath either, but that is another story.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
dark_dragon_of_ice

Yes Macs are better If you have the money and arent a pc gamer.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #17
Crying_Crimson_Tears

MACS!!!!!!

The most beautiful computer in the world.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #18
Firestorm

More software rants in the works.
Stay tuned.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #19
Mirazatha

The only thing i really miss from windows (ive gone Mac) is that none of my games work on my mac. This was one of the reasons i got it, but i still miss them. And every once in a while my Mac will decide its time to turn off now. without warning. So im sitting here writing an essay and powerdown! of course, I can get it back on my mac, which i couldent do whenever windows decided to crash on me...
Mirazatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:52 AM   #20
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst-zine

Don't get me wrong, Linux is great for servers, but at the same time, I went a full year using Linux as a desktop system, and I'd have to say that there were times I really wished I had some of the basic features that came with Windows, not to mention the fact that updating software can be a real pain in the arse! (Although I miss some of the features that come with Linux now that I am back with Windows)

I do web development, and I would have to say that Linux just doesn't cut it. No matter which variant you use (I've tried a few), it just isn't built for workstation type computing. BSD (I know... not Linux) is great for retrieving data off of a virus-infected Windows hard drive though. ; ) In conclusion: there is still a long way to grow... Upside: It doesn't crash. : )
So which distro did you use, then? There's several, as I'm sure you're aware of, and every one is different from the others in some aspect. I've always used Debian based systems, but recently I swapped to a Mandriva based one, PCLinuxOS, which I think works much better than anything (both Linux, Windows, Mac and others) that I've tried. Take a look at their newest live cd (TR3) if you like; it's the simplest, yet most powerful and efficient OS I've found until now.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #21
PersephoneX

I love open source Operating Systems. Down with Windows!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:04 AM   #22
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_dragon_of_ice
Yes Macs are better If you have the money and arent a pc gamer.
Hah - well put. Also note all the apps you CAN'T buy for a mac. I have a mate who swears by his mac who calls over all the time who is always like 'wow, that game looks awesome' or 'damn! thats a nice app!' and I always respond, yeah, its brilliant. Too bad you have a mac and can't run it...

That being said he bought a new mac with the Intel chipset and has parallels on it. He is now running windows and half of the apps he has been drooling over for some time, of course, the games are still not there yet....
Old 03-15-2007, 10:54 PM   #23
PersephoneX

Froma support point of view. MAC's suck. I cant do MAC support over the phone...i just cant.
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #24
angst-zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
So which distro did you use, then? There's several, as I'm sure you're aware of, and every one is different from the others in some aspect. I've always used Debian based systems, but recently I swapped to a Mandriva based one, PCLinuxOS, which I think works much better than anything (both Linux, Windows, Mac and others) that I've tried. Take a look at their newest live cd (TR3) if you like; it's the simplest, yet most powerful and efficient OS I've found until now.
Fow a while I used Suse Linux and Free BSD, but now I just have the BSD box for some basic stuff and the rest of the time I am on Windows. I'll check that distro out, I just got tired of screwing with linux before. Generally speaking I use windows for what I do simply because it is easier to get all of the software for... I haven't found a reasonable open-source replacement for the adobe suite, which I have been using for years. (And, no, sadly the GIMP doesn't cover it all... no vector graphics for one.) Anyway, computers are unreliable, and so with that in mind I will just continue to use what works best for me at the time. Cheers. : )
angst-zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:03 AM   #25
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersephoneX
Froma support point of view. MAC's suck. I cant do MAC support over the phone...i just cant.
What support? I mean, I work with macs, not a fan I might add, but if you get a program error, or even worse, an error within the OS, there is no way to drop to shell to sort it out - its back up/reinstall.