Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #26
manequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Unless you've been hiding under a rock for the past year, you've probably noticed that goth has become a fad as of late. Now everyone and his dog's trying to be goth, and it's really depressing. I mean sure, Snot Rocket's always been the hub of poseurism, but now every single department store around is carrying baby bat-tire. Goth is going through the same thing that happened to punk. The mainstream is trying to infiltrate it from the inside, but that's never going to happen. The mainstream may start dressing "darker", but they're certainly not going to be brought to a greater level of introspect or decadence by following some fad.

What are your thoughts on this? How bad is it in your area? What should be done about it?
Goth is as unpopular in the sunny (not!) town of Romford as ever. We still get food thrown at us and profanitys yelled. Some people even cross the road to avoid walking past us! (no lie!) but who cares! If we did we could change what we wore to fit in but the chavs are still going to be dumb as two short planks!
manequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #27
manequin

At the end of the day I don't really care if people try to be goths. I know their not and thats that. But what really pisses me off is when people assume that because im goth (or a hybrid of the original style yay for originality) I muat worship satan and cut myself!
manequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #28
Temptation

Let them be and as soon as they start blending in with the rest of society, the fad will end. Mainly they're only doing it for shock value or parental rebellion.
In my town, the place is over run by little goth/emo kids. People see them and they just get overlooked like everyone else. Eventually, they'll go back to their Good Charlotte and Linkin Park and leave the subculture alone. Or so we can only hope.
Temptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #29
Draconysius

I know it's useless to rant about this, but this IS the ranting thread. I know that going through a baby bat phase is a part of growing up, and in my mind I respect that. It's just... no matter how many times I tell myself it will go away, no matter how many times I come to grips with the situation, that's all soon left behind by my rage. I don't know, maybe it's the fact that I've become so attached to the gothic lifestyle over the years. When my individuality is beaten from my skin, I really can't help but react ridiculously.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:50 AM   #30
DecadentHeroine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther
What should be done about it? Hell, I'm waiting for the clothes to go on sale.

Already happening here

I feel dirty though, buying clothes in teen fashion shops. I sort of liked having to go all the way to Chinatown to buy gothic clothes, or shop online, or look for trench coats and boots in thrift stores.

Even the clothes they sell at mainstream shops are sort of fake. Like mixing skulls and hearts, or plastic jewlery.

The wannabe goths, or those who start wearing gothic attire as a fad also look so obviously fake that I know for a fact that it cannot last. Sure, they are giving the subculture a perverted image, but most people think we all sacrifice things to the devil, sleep in coffins and eat babies anyway.
DecadentHeroine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #31
KontanKarite

You people can tell who's fake by image alone? God damn, I wish I could do that. I still have to go by their demeanor and behavior. Oh well.

A novel thought and I know you guys will hate this, but... Is it not possible to realize that the outward image of the culture is lost?

Actually, I think it is a good thing. The fact that the image is mainstream means that goths have to focus more on other artistic endeavors such as the music, the literature, the visual arts. The fashion is gone essentially. It's a shame, but it's not hard anymore. There's lots of things that pretty much come standard.

Of course, I dunno. I only know of maybe 2 other goths in town. The rest of the youngsters are of the "hardcore" crowd.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #32
KontanKarite

What is nice is seeing them loiter around the movie theater only to have me walk by and they can't help but stare or admire. It's kind of nice coming back from a two year hiatus.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #33
theradicalviper

yeah, those gammed wannabe lizards!!!
theradicalviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #34
Draconysius

Despite how superficial it may seem, we usually CAN tell if someone's a real goth by their appearance alone. Simply put, baby bats look like they've just robbed the local Snot Rocket. They all look trendy, lazy, and uninspired. Of course, that can never replace the true level of decadence in anyone's mind, but most of the time, it does the job.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #35
Caught

Being goth isn't only about the way people dress and look like, I am bothered by those who think it's only about that and they try to dress the same way and call themselves goth. This one friend of my sis did this and she looked like uhm... *puke*. I hope people will soon realise they can't be goth with only black clothes and a lot of make-up but if they don't then we can always "help" them realise it.
Caught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #36
mrs.wes straker

very disturbing

Quote:
Despite how superficial it may seem, we usually CAN tell if someone's a real goth by their appearance alone. Simply put, baby bats look like they've just robbed the local Snot Rocket. They all look trendy, lazy, and uninspired. Of course, that can never replace the true level of decadence in anyone's mind, but most of the time, it does the job.
The most bothersome thing about the whole punk thing being trendy is that there are some nice things I'd like to have, actually find them cheap, and I won't buy them because I realize that loads of trendy little wenches are walking around with the same thing (pink-studded belts, for example). It's just not nice to think that some idiot girl listening to hip-hop or Britney Spears or whoever's popular these days might have on the same belt as me.

I'm not buying any belts right now, is all.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #37
ArtificialOne

What if my car is goth and I'm a rivet head?...lol

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #38
KontanKarite

Quote:

I dunno, man. I've been called many things by people who do not know what the hell they were talking about. I could wear all my german import clothes and people blame me for shopping at Hot Topic. Either that or they were trying to insult me.

This is probably why I haven't been shopping much as of late. I can't really find anything that I find appealing or affordable.

I think the one thing people can't stand is the prefabrication of the style. But a pair of Tripp pants with zippers on them or make your own. One is goth and one is poserish. Oddly enough, you wont really find much difference in the two.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #39
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.wes straker
The most bothersome thing about the whole punk thing being trendy is that there are some nice things I'd like to have, actually find them cheap, and I won't buy them because I realize that loads of trendy little wenches are walking around with the same thing (pink-studded belts, for example). It's just not nice to think that some idiot girl listening to hip-hop or Britney Spears or whoever's popular these days might have on the same belt as me.

I'm not buying any belts right now, is all.
It is sickening to think of that, but it shouldn't stop you from buying the belts. I still worship the Misfits, even though a shitload of young, poseur boy bands these days are citing them as a favorite band. Whenever I see a baby bat sporting a Misfits shirt, I just think "Hey, at least they're listening to ONE good band".
Old 03-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #40
MollyMac

Christ.

This fucking thread reads like the head cheerleader showing up to see that the nerd girl is wearing the same dress at prom.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #41
mrs.wes straker

(Almost irrelevant, but thinks out loud...) Ha! Talking in front of thoughftul people all day has reminded me how dumb I am.

Last edited by mrs.wes straker; 03-04-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: escribi una palabra mal
mrs.wes straker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #42
roserougesang

'Tis rather sad seeing something's one loves going mainstream. There's plenty of good gothy shops around my area so there was never a problem acquiring nice clothes in the first place. On the positive side, hopefully it's just a fad that will go in a few months leaving us gothlings in peace.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #43
Kraven de Sade

Quote:
Unless you've been hiding under a rock for the past year...
Actually, I have been hiding under a rock lately.

Kraven de Sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #44
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
Christ.

This fucking thread reads like the head cheerleader showing up to see that the nerd girl is wearing the same dress at prom.
That's another matter entirely.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #45
ArtificialOne

HA! I love when nerdy girls dress up.

Wait, I just plain love nerdy girls...lol

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #46
Zenit

So summa sumarum: The kids are anoying, but will leave/get lost/die soon, and is therefore not a problem. The clothing everywhere is nice and stuff, but it's mostly crap. *Heavy asian accent* SUPLIIIIISE! Go home and DIY

Is this really something that should concern us? Personally I think "me", not "them"...

Real goths can see the bright side of death, so the bright side of this should be pancakes...Now I go to bed, before I do something really dumb...

"Nutrizone can kiss my pale, decayed ass"
-Draconysius
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:56 AM   #47
CptSternn

Quote:
It is sickening to think of that, but it shouldn't stop you from buying the belts. I still worship the Misfits, even though a shitload of young, poseur boy bands these days are citing them as a favorite band. Whenever I see a baby bat sporting a Misfits shirt, I just think "Hey, at least they're listening to ONE good band".
Oh that really bothers me as well. I used to sing in a couple MiSFiTS cover bands, you know, back BEFORE they came out with 'Famous Monsters' and all that shite.

Glen Danzig was the only MiSFiTS singer IMHO - and those who have never heard the original lineup need to take off the shirt.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #48
Senor_Sadomachism

In my opinion, just by dressing the way we do, the music we listen to, we're bringing the Gothic sub-culture to life. Whether some things are stereotypical like MM or Hot Topic, some people will look at you and say "OMG he/she looks really nice and elegant, maybe I should do the same too" or I don't know some kids at my school like the baby bat look, and sooner or later they'll realize that there's more to the Gothic sub-culture than Hot Topic. Isn't that what happened to some of you? It happened to me until I found this site and it really opened my eyes. This sounds kind of dumb but yeah this is my opinion.
Senor_Sadomachism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #49
happy_dude

Location: I'm underneath the sink, now what do you think, living under my sink?
It's true, I found the whole Goth thing because one day I wore a bit too much black so a friend jokingly called me a Goth, so being the inquisitive type I am I did some research (ie. Wikipedia) and somehow fumbled across this site.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #50
Senor_Sadomachism

Regardless of what Goth is about... the music, the majority of the people i know just either like the style or the music. My mom listens to Sisters of Mercy and she doesn't claim to be goth but she does seem like an 80's girl along with her friend. My mundane friends just think that Goth is a style and i tell them it's a sub-culture no?
Senor_Sadomachism is offline   Reply With Quote