Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
thosewhomourn

counseling?

I just wanted to know what you think about counseling. I've been forced to go in the past and those times generally sucked, but some of my friends say it's okay. What would make you go to counseling? What would you say?
thosewhomourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Vako

I have been to counseling before. It helps to find the right counselor though. It sucks to be forced to go to counseling. My parents made me go. It didn't help. Now I am older and out on my own, and in the recent past I have chosen to go to counseling for various issues. Since I chose to go of my own free will, knowing that it would be highly beneficial to me, it has been effective at teaching me to deal with my issues.

If you have the resources, I'd say find counseling on your own and go. There is no shame in it.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
MollyMac

Heya Mourn? Please introduce yourself in the intro thread!!

But yeah, I had to go due to fallout for a parasomnia/insomnia issue- the truth about it is that you only get what you give in counseling. When I dropped my attitude and resentment, when I stopped saying what doc wanted to hear and started to hear him saying things that smarted for a reason, it began to work.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Arashi

I'm being forced into counseling.
It wouldn't be as bad if the soft-spoken bastard didn't try to tell me things I already clearly know. And grab his own balls whilst he attempts to preach at me.
I feel a need to add that I am not against all councelors, nor counceling in general, just my creepy councelor.
Anyone ever wonder why they're sometimes called therapists?
Break the word apart after the 'the'. You'll see.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Graveyard.Crow

He Grabs His Balls?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
Arashi

He does.
It scares me..
Old 03-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Underwater Ophelia

Does he do it absent-mindedly...? If not, that's...definitely unacceptable...tell him it makes you uncomfortable.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
Arashi

I'm not quite sure..
I dread being forced to talk to that man.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
james"bloody tears"

I have resently been to counsling cause my wife-to-be said i need help and that she cant help me alone, so i went to counsling. the first guy was an ass. the new chick is kinda cool though

love me or hate me i wont change

the eyes are the windows to the soul, are you afraid of what you see?
james"bloody tears" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
thosewhomourn

Thanks. I guess I need to think on it. I mean, who would you rather go to talk to about the shit in your life... a counselor or a friend? I like the "find the right person" part though. I was forced to go before and I generally said the right things to get out quick.
thosewhomourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosewhomourn
Thanks. I guess I need to think on it. I mean, who would you rather go to talk to about the shit in your life... a counselor or a friend?
That hits it on the nose for me. There is something deeply, deeply wrong with a world in which when you have emotional problems, you are expected to give money to a complete stranger instead of relying upon your kith and kin. Too bad your kith and kin are too busy fulfilling their own assigned roles in the beehive.

I'm also highly skeptical of psychology for other reasons, including its pseudo-scientific nature, spotty history, and almost total doctrinal subservience to the social status quo. There are three kinds of police in the world... the kind with guns, the kind with cameras, and the kind with clipboards...

All that said, there is nothing wrong in principle with the idea of a person learning about thinking patterns that people get themselves into, and then helping other see those patterns and get out of them. The problem is that we are talking about a highly personal interaction. That means that you need good attitudes on both sides and a common basis for communication, in addition to any erudition on the part of the counselor.

My feeling is that if you resent having to go, you are more likely to come out of it worse off than better. Let it ride a couple of sessions, and if you still hate it, quit.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
MollyMac

The disinterested third party, as opposed to an interested third party, can be a nice change of pace and no tthe usual shit your friends give you
Old 03-30-2007, 11:52 PM   #13
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
The disinterested third party, as opposed to an interested third party, can be a nice change of pace and no tthe usual shit your friends give you
Hmm. You have a point there.

Drake
Old 03-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #14
MollyMac

A friend will usually say what you want to hear. A good coundelor will say what you need to hear. Damn shame those two have very little overlap
Old 03-31-2007, 05:09 AM   #15
Tara Poison

Location: On an industrial estate next to an airfield. Yeah, why the hell did they put a house there?!
My Mom decided I needed counselling last night - she says I sure as hell won't talk to anyone else.
What makes her think I'm gonna talk to a freaking stranger?
Apparently I seem 'stressed.'
I'm not stressed! Not even the tiniest bit!
Ok maybe I just proved myself wrong.
But I'm not good at talking. I don't like sharing my problems with anyone.
I told my aunt some stuff but she moved to Australia and I won't put anything in an email.
And I don't tell my friends anything. Something happened in my chem class the other day and I was really upset but I still wouldn't tell them anything.
And my relatives just tell on me to my mom.
So I guess I'll just deal with the counsellor.
Tara Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:23 AM   #16
Drake Dun

Maybe this will make you feel better:

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/sui...encies.html#12

Drake
Old 03-31-2007, 06:11 AM   #17
mrs.wes straker

I was in counseling for a few years as a teen. It did nothing for me, but I wasn't interested in changing. In retrospect, I was given great advice that I might have been better off if I'd followed it. Counseling will only help you if you're willing. If you're a teen, which obviously you are, listening to your parents is in your best interest as long as they're not telling you to do anything illegal, telling you to join a cult... you know stuff like that. It's hard, but it's worth it. Under normal circumstances, no one cares about you like your folks. As far as listening to your friends goes, you do not need advice from other teenagers. They're just kids. Go to people with experience and responsibility.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:47 PM   #18
Arashi

So, as this ties to counseling, anyone here on any sort of crazy meds? I got prescribed antidepressants, but I don't take 'em. What I really need is sleeping pills, as I have horrible insomnia...
Old 03-31-2007, 01:00 PM   #19
Saddiction

I wound up in an institution shortly after turning 18. Since then I've been on countless types of differnet medications from anti-depresants to mood stabalizers to anti-psychotics to tranquilizers. The best drug of all is a healthy environment.

It's true what mrs.wes straker says. You can not help someone who doesn't want any. When I was first admitted, I hated the idea of having some fat middle aged balding man reading my life like it's an open book. Perhaps this is why it took my 4 months to get out (actually the real reason was because I fell physically ill). Regardless, after that 4 months I started turning my life around. It took about 6 years or so, but I've never felt better.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:49 PM   #20
Arashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spright
Family and friends are often just as FUCKED as you are. So why talk to them?
I don't know about you, but I'd rather talk to my friends and family as opposed to a creepy guy who grabs his balls while preaching at me about stupid shit that is completely irrelevant to my actual problems..
Old 03-31-2007, 01:52 PM   #21
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi
I don't know about you, but I'd rather talk to my friends and family as opposed to a creepy guy who grabs his balls while preaching at me about stupid shit that is completely irrelevant to my actual problems..
I found it more difficult to talk to my family. It was my friends who had me admitted. I couldn't look at my mom most of the time without breaking down into tears. It was really difficult. Perhaps try looking for a new doctor?
Old 03-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #22
Arashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
I found it more difficult to talk to my family. It was my friends who had me admitted. I couldn't look at my mom most of the time without breaking down into tears. It was really difficult. Perhaps try looking for a new doctor?
Well, I suppose it really all depends on what kind of friends and family you have, then.. However, my mother (who is supportive of me and I love very dearly, despite what I'm about to say) refuses to talk about ANY problems with me and thinks that sending me off to talk to some weirdo I do not know will solve all of my problems. They can shove pills down my throat, tell me their 'life saving advice', and possibly even ship me off to an institution, but none of it will ever help me. What I really need is help from those who are close to me, not total strangers..
I really don't even believe I should even be seeing a doc in the first place.. Sure, I have tons of stress, slight depression, sleep problems, and heaps of other shit going on, but in the big picture - tons and tons of people have to deal with that same crap, and many don't need to talk to a complete and total stranger to get through it. Many people who have it much worse off than me got through it on their own. I want to get through it on my own..
Anyway, my mother won't let me find a new doc. Probably because if I get a doc somewhere else, her insurance won't cover it.
Blah.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #23
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi
So, as this ties to counseling, anyone here on any sort of crazy meds? I got prescribed antidepressants, but I don't take 'em. What I really need is sleeping pills, as I have horrible insomnia...
Talk to your doctor about Xanax.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #24
Saddiction

Quote:
So you'd rather talk to the people who made you a fucktard, then someone who was trained to fix fucktards? You're brilliant.
Don't make the assumtion that the family and/or friends are at fault. Yours might have been but that may not be the case for everyone else.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:30 PM   #25
Arashi

Quote:
So you'd rather talk to the people who made you a fucktard, then someone who was trained to fix fucktards? You're brilliant.
I have good friends who have had no role in making any part of my life negative. My mother neither has done anything directly bad to me.
But, sure, I guess I AM a dumbass because I dislike talking to a guy that enjoys touching me in innappropiate places as I walk out the door, and would rather talk to people who don't try to molest me.