Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Draconysius

Philosophy revived

Ok, here we go again... we need some intelligent discussions.
I'm going to start off with an issue that's always popular: abortion. Is freedom more important or is human life more important? This is a very difficult question for me because I both believe in freedom and no one has the right to take the life of another, even that young. I'm currently on the side of the pro-lifers, but I'm no god-fearing bible-bashing Christian. I'm agnostic with Buddhist and Taoist beliefs. So sue me. Any thoughts?
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Personally, I adopt an entirely secular viewpoint. If an unborn child is a mistake, I firmly believe that a woman should have the undeniable right to terminate that pregnancy. True, she will suffer some psychological damage, but is it fair to the child to bring it into a world where it is either unwanted, unable to be adequately cared for, or both? Even were the child to be put up for adoption, the psychological scars of separating it from its birth mother would remain, and then not only would the mother be affected mentally -as with terminating the pregnancy- but the child as well. An child aborted is sad; a child born unwanted is moreso.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
Minyaliel

I'm pro choice. I think it does reflect personal strength to keep a baby, but not if you are not capable of giving the child a meaningful existence. This I believe because my own experiences have shown me that it is the right thing. If it hadn't been for my mother's conviction and sticking to her faith (she's a catholic), I wouldn't be sitting here today. I'm not saying that I'm not grateful for life, I'm just saying that this has made me contemplate the issue a lot. That said, I'm not a catholic myself, but a Satanist, and would not keep a baby I'd have known in advance I had no means of taking care of.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
Draconysius

You've both made very good points that are going to be swimming through my head all day.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
Clockwork

Choice. I never understood what the great hubbub was about terminating something that does not yet think or feel, even if it does have the potential. So, yes, you're ending a life before it's even begun - but then aren't you destroying a could-be life every time you use protection, or just aren't having sex?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Draconysius

You've made very good points. I think I've changed my mind on this completely. But still... you will burn in the fiery pits of hell sinners!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

I'll bring my suntan. I get all reddish looking when it's too hot out.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
Cyntrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
Choice. I never understood what the great hubbub was about terminating something that does not yet think or feel, even if it does have the potential. So, yes, you're ending a life before it's even begun - but then aren't you destroying a could-be life every time you use protection, or just aren't having sex?
How can you know when the baby starts to think and/or feel?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
How can you know when the baby starts to think and/or feel?
I suppose we can probe around their brain and see what they respond to, but we can probably agree they aren't fully functioning beings at day one.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #10
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
you will burn in the fiery pits of hell sinners!
Bring it on - I'd be bored sitting on a cloud playing harps all the time... playing the harp hurts like heck, by the way...

As for Cyntrox' question, there's been some research on that, but I cannot remember at the moment how many weeks it takes... anyway, it still wouldn't be a baby or a thinking person, just a collection of cells animated by a few chemical processes. (Alright, I admit medicine is not my strong point. Correct me if I'm wrong here)
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #11
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
I am pro-abortion 100% and my arguments are rather subjective and yet I have them:

Forcing a woman to fulfill her "womanly duties", which include having children, is Middle Ages mentality. As much as I adore the middle ages, women have already gained the status of a human being to a certain extent by now.

And as to saving life, what life will the child have if it is born to a mother that is still a child herself, or into a family that cannot support it...or what if the child is the result of ****? Will such a life really be worth living? The best case here would be if the child was adopted, but I would suppose that it can also be difficult for a growing up personality to know they were not wanted.
And also, why ruin the life of a not wanting to be mother to save the life of SOME other human being?

And now to my real subjective point: In my opinion, a human being is a human being after it has developed a personality and found a place in this world. Nothing against babies, but I would prefure a person that has started thinking and comunicating over one that is only a, as above mentioned, collection of cells.

I do not want to seem rude, but not allowing a woman prevent a turn in her life that she does not want seems a heap more immoral than "killing" a life that is hardly worth much yet.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
Zenit

I'd like to add another dimension to this discussion...What about the father? After all, it takes two to tango, and to deprave a willing man the privilege to be a father....is that right?

"Nutrizone can kiss my pale, decayed ass"
-Draconysius
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
Circle V

After much thought, I've come to the conclusion that I am against abortion but still pro-choice-- within reason. Abortion should never be the first choice, nor an easy one, but neither should it be banned outright.

I don't believe that adopted children are significantly worse-off than children who remain with their biological parents-- more specifically, while I can see the benefits of abortion (especially in cases of sex crimes, etc), I find it difficult to believe that abortion can be preferable to adoption.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #14
Mir

I'm not sure how a discussion on abortion equates as a philosophical discussion.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Godslayer Jillian

Haha, you beat me to it, but then again we can make other questions.
As for now I'm too tired to even think. =P

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #16
MollyMac

It's less philosophy and more politics.

All the same, from my experiences, I have come to the conclusion that I can speak only for myself and I am pro-life for my own life and my own choices. That being said, you never know what hand life will deal you and that anyone clinging to a hard and fast, black or white *anything* tends to be bitchslapped for their steadfastness. FLexibility is the key to life. Know where you stand, but know what winds may blow.

I maintain pro-life for myself, but I also maintain one's right to choose what happens to them and their bodies.

I CHOOSE to be pro-life.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #17
Drake Dun

It's a totally unanswerable question. To come up with the "right" answer you would have to be able to determine when a "person" is a person, which is totally arbitrary. Even a child which has already been born probably has less capacity to suffer, less intelligence, and less of whatever else you might choose as your measuring stick than an adult chimpanzee.

As always, any philosophy which issues from rank moralism must be asinine and absurd. There is no right or wrong. There is only what we are, where we're at, and who we choose to be.

See? Now it's philosophical. Uh... wait. Why are we talking philosophy in the literature area?

On a final note, I find the "potential" argument so ludicrous that any time it comes out, I immediately count it as two strikes against the rationality of the person who voices it.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 PM   #18
Godslayer Jillian

That brings an interesting new topic:
What makes a Man, a Man?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #19
Drake Dun

LEBOWSKI: It's funny. I can look back on a life of achievement, on challenges met, competitors bested, obstacles overcome. I've accomplished more than most men, and without the use of my legs. What. . . What makes a man, Mr. Lebowski?

DUDE: Dude.

LEBOWSKI: Huh?

DUDE: I don't know, sir.

LEBOWSKI: Is it. . . is it, being prepared to do the right thing? Whatever the price? Isn't that what makes a man?

DUDE: Sure. That and a pair of testicles.

---

Drake
Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #20
whispertwist

Can i have furthur definition of the topic?

Is the topic the definition of a male human, or of masculinity, or of a mensch (an upstanding male), or of an upstanding human of either sex?

I like the last topic.

And my answer reads like something out of the boyscout handbook, though it does apply to either sex.

A stand up person is kind, loyal, and honest. A stand up person will defend those weaker than him/her self from bullying of any sort. A stand up person will defend his/her principles without rancor. True strength is not a matter of muscles, but of character, though of course it is easier to be a stand up person when you are the mightiest son of a bitch on the block.
whispertwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:32 AM   #21
MollyMac

Being a man has little to do with anatomy and everything to do with responsibility. The ability to look beyond oneself and ones own wants to see the greater needs.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:47 AM   #22
Godslayer Jillian

Wait, I didn't phrase my question as I had wanted to. I was looking for a neutral word and didn't thought of it at first. The real question would be, what makes Humanity, well, Human?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 04-04-2007, 06:29 AM   #23
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Wait, I didn't phrase my question as I had wanted to. I was looking for a neutral word and didn't thought of it at first. The real question would be, what makes Humanity, well, Human?
Having a soul......
Old 04-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #24
Drake Dun

That's really only a satisfying answer if you subscribe to one of certain religious belief systems. And it starts to seem silly the first time you have any kind of exposure to the more intelligent non-human animals in the world, like primates, dolphins, and heck, even dogs and other random mammals. To say nothing of certain birds.

Drake
Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #25
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I believe it's because we're the only species that's aware of its death long before it comes creeping up on us. We also have an inquisitive nature; we question everything. Humans are the only philosophers of the animal kingdom.