Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #76
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Goth music has evolved from romantic deathrock to hardcore deathrock (with a heavier punk flavor), dark synthpop has evolved into darkwave, industrial noise has evolved into ebm... you get the idea.
There's even a completely new cybergoth subculture that has blossomed from goth.

Scenes are created by people, but once they've found the scene's music, fashion, aesthetics, etc... It's in solid stone.
Which is it? Evolution, or set in stone?

Quote:
We wouldn't want to hear a hip-hop band referred to as "punk" and likewise with goth. If it were any other way no goth would WANT to belong to such a chaotic scene because we would only belong with the scene back when it was about a gloomier side of life, not when it was some nationwide monster rap sensation. Fuck that.
I'm afraid that the terms 'goth' 'punk' and 'emo' have become almost interchangeable. I'm not saying it's desirable, nor am I saying it's correct, but the lines have visibly blurred among the subcultures.

Again, I'll say that if you really don't want to 'lie down like a beaten dog' your best course of action may just be simple, civil interaction with younger members trying to break into the scene.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #77
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinstripesAndPithHelmets
Which is it? Evolution, or set in stone?
I'm afraid that the terms 'goth' 'punk' and 'emo' have become almost interchangeable. I'm not saying it's desirable, nor am I saying it's correct, but the lines have visibly blurred among the subcultures.
Again, I'll say that if you really don't want to 'lie down like a beaten dog' your best course of action may just be simple, civil interaction with younger members trying to break into the scene.
Ah, I forgot to mention that sounds can gradually evolve, but once they reach a certain point where they bare no resemblance whatsoever to the original sound, they can no longer be considered part of the genre.

I try not to worry about setting baby bats straight. They'll grow out of it and gothic rock will remain the same. Their poseur subculture will survive, but so will goth. Bauhaus didn't stop being a gothic rock band when Marilyn Manson controlled the mainstream goth scene, so why should a second mainstream flood damage it? We know what's what and it's so underground it rarely ever falls under the radar of the mainstream. Us real scenesters are in the know. We laugh in the face of the public's ignorance.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #78
Draconysius

Eh, I've made my mind up and I'm done here. No use in arguing any further.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #79
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

I'm not really what one would consider a "scenester", so I'll have to take your word for it. I tend to stick out in the local goth club, but for the most part people there have been civil towards me, and I think that sort of attitude can only help things. Hence my argument.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #80
Ishan

This is most definitely a good topic, as I was wondering about these things myself. I was looking for a new pair of boots, and nobody seems to have the right kind. That's alright ... training boots will do for now.

I believe a person who is goth - and I identify myself as Goth, as well as Celtic-Pagan and generic Pagan (because I am) - is a person who can appreciate both the light and the dark side of human nature. I most definitely have a dark side. Anyone who has ever felt a genuine homicidal urge knows they have a dark side. The light side is not exercising the urge to kill.

Then there is the ethereal need to explore death, but not for the sake of dying - it is a need to further understand life that compels one's interest in death. But death is not perceived, at least not by me, as a state of non-amination. It is a transition.

Then there are the colors ... I do not subscribe to only black and red ... my favorite color is blue ... I will say I never met a Goth who thoroughly enjoyed pastels. That's laughable. I love rich, bold and sensuous colors.

As for art ... I believe anyone who is Goth can find a way to bring both light and dark into a single image, song, carving, writing, etc. Art is the ultimate expression of the human experience. It is used when other forms of communication would breed misunderstanding, or when they would be inappropriate.

And don't get me started on the fascination with the horror movies ... I personally don't have a fascination for them because most a really stupid. I don't understand the fascination. Now stories like the Vampire Lestat, Interview with the Vampair, Queen of the Damned - and the books that begat them - those I find fascinating. They all represent the impelling nature of the dark side, and the need to tame it properly with the light.

Remember, there is no light without darkness ... neither shall we find shadow without the sun.
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #81
Godslayer Jillian

I understant what Pinstripes is saying, and she is quite right. Truth is made by those in power, which in this case would be those that make up the majority.
If people that know Peter Murphy stop existing, or exist in such diluted levels that they don't matter, Goth will indeed be whatever the spookykids say it is.
But the real essence of Goth would just vanish and be replaced by another under the same name. The shell without the content.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #82
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

I'm male, believe it or not.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #83
whispertwist

Can a newbie chime in?

New to the scene as well as new to this board.

One thing i sensed that impressed me is a profound sense of alienation with pop culture and with common societal standards. There is a wide acceptance of differences .... paradoxically wrapped in a fairly uniform goth look.

I see the look and the music more as badges of membership in the community rather than the essence of the community.
whispertwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #84
Godslayer Jillian

Quite true. Goth has its own popularity contests, but generally I (and I hope no one else) see it as nothing but something that makes fun of itself while staying cool.
Oh, and pinstripes, haha, sorry I confused you. For some reason your avatar made me think you were a girl.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #85
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Oh, and pinstripes, haha, sorry I confused you. For some reason your avatar made me think you were a girl.

No worries. Guess now I'll have to reassess my attempts at conveying masculinity through an icon of a skull smoking a meerschaum pipe. Drat.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #86
raggedyanne

My grandma smokes a pipe. not that it has anything to do with the fact that she, like some people, cannot fathom that new and old can be blended to make something that doesn't taste like the underside of a goat.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #87
IsolatedReptile

How does one define the darker side of life? It's popped up in a couple of answers, and I'm curious. Is it depression? Social deviance (if so, then some arguments of goth being a lack of care for the mainstream are self refuted)?

It's an answer several people use that almost seems like a cop out. It's a vague and general description for people who wear black. Of course they enjoy "darker" things. What darker things though?
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #88
raggedyanne

think of it this way: instead of going right along with the heroes and hating the villain, you'd wonder about why the villain was like they were and probably sympathise with them... okay bad analogy, but I think that liking the "darker side of things" is looking deeper into issues, fashion, or thinking that others might pass up for "fluffier" things
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #89
Clockwork

Maybe not even fluffier things, but just more accessible things. There's a whole element of liking things that deviate from the norm or are otherwise unnoticed by the general populace that I think a goth tends to possess.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #90
whispertwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedReptile
How does one define the darker side of life? It's popped up in a couple of answers, and I'm curious. Is it depression? Social deviance (if so, then some arguments of goth being a lack of care for the mainstream are self refuted)?

It's an answer several people use that almost seems like a cop out. It's a vague and general description for people who wear black. Of course they enjoy "darker" things. What darker things though?
Perhaps part of it is a loss of innocence, a recognition that the world is not a nice place. It makes the pockets of peace and tranquility that one does find all the more to be treasured. Pain makes pleasure more vivid. Awareness of death throws life into sharper relief.
whispertwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #91
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedReptile

Something symbolic, perhaps. Like a haunted area or a grotesque looking mammel, something generally shunned or unaccepted. Like Klaus Kinki's Nosferatu's philosophies. Also, this is off topic but IR you seduce me with your poetic wordplay
Old 04-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #92
KontanKarite

If you want to go by generations, you have to realize, even the young know the difference.

Drac is a perfect example, as is Jillian, of how the young can DISTINGUISH a difference between goth music and pop music.

Manson will always be "goth", MCR and HIM will always be "goth", while us silent few who know better will sit back and be entirely detached from what the nay sayers are talking about.

Goth will always be misunderstood and people with completely wrong ideas on its sound will claim goth.

I for one, will sit back in my faded black jeans and calmly smoke my cloves all the while, laughing at what "goth" has become.

The mainstream never gets it right and why the fuck would we want it any other way?

The scene and the culture itself will sway any poser away from it. I would LOVE to take a "goth" kid who is devout to MCR and throw them into the middle of a pounding and powerful goth night.

They will either run away crying and screaming bloody murder, or they'll fucking learn.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #93
raggedyanne

I'd like to at least attempt to learn
Old 04-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #94
KontanKarite

I agree. But the thing is, a kid wakes up one day and thinks "Hey, I wonder what goth is all about. It seems cool."

That's the startings of a babybat. Then they go on what little knowledge they have and take in anything the mainstream will say is goth. That's when you get posers.

So, in all honesty, it's an act of ignorance. Again, I say that a babybat will learn and become a great member of the culture or they'll simply fade away back into their compartmentalized life.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #95
Vyvian Blackthorne

Right. Though babybats grow into the culture, blending, as poseurs will go with it and treat as a "phase" as if it's unprotected sex. Only difference between that and unprotected sex is that only one of them has consequences...and I won't mention which one. XD
I know, such a comparison is politically incorrect, but...meh...
Old 04-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #96
raggedyanne

so you can't get pregnant by being a poser? Cuz that would raise the teen pregnancy rates way higher. I'm not a babybat anymore, but I'd like to learn more about the music and fashion. Definantly want to dress better. X P
Old 04-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #97
Draconysius

I was once a baby bat, though I've always had the potential for being goth. Even before I started wearing nothing but black and white, I was wearing nothing but red and black. It was for the simple fact that those were the colors of a dragon character I had dreamt up and often pretended to be. Even then I had a need to express myself in appearance.

Maybe, just maybe... goth doesn't come in a jewel case or bookshelf, or in some shiny black pants... maybe goth (the Grinch thought) means something more. Like one of life's agnostic questions, the purpose of goth is unreachable, unknowable. Of course there's the music, the fashion, the aesthetic, the state-of-mind, the individuality... but there's something else there that well... just can't be described or analyzed. You just know it's there, without a single doubt in your heart.

Maybe I finally understand what Xnguela (DarkHeartedDemoness) was saying so long ago... I couldn't be told what it was. I had to find it myself.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #98
raggedyanne

then all the goths down in goth.net began to agree, and goth became something that evolved, but never with fangs, no not even for show, not even for me

I just had to do that, sorry

Last edited by raggedyanne; 04-05-2007 at 07:38 PM. Reason: horrendous spelling
Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #99
maggot

DRAC?! A BABYBAT?!

Never. :O
Old 04-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #100
BlackWidow

Wait, wait, I have a good one....

Definition of a poser=an emo.

Lol ok I'm done.