Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #26
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Thanks for the information, Jarl.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #27
MollyMac

A group I studied mythology and religion with called the "Luciferianists" Icharial because of the tangents between Lucifer and Icharus. ALthough not exactly the opposite of Christianity in most respects, it is a religion based on pride, not humility; and self over community.

As to whether that is a good thing or a bad thing? Who knows. The fact is that the difference between what is good and what is evil is rarely known until the end, anyway.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #28
Godslayer Jillian

Not to say elitism is bad.
It's only bad when that elitism is arbitrary and without justification.
I could see most of you with good enough justifications for being elitists.
I don't think I have met a (serious) satanist that has no justification for being elitist.
But satanism doesn't deify only these people. It deifies anyone that wants to call himself a satanist.
I do praise satanism for placing themselves on a higher pedestal than the rest of humanity, but the instant people begin to like satanism as a form of cool "you're special" blanket, it will go under faster than ground zero did.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #29
happy_dude

Location: I'm underneath the sink, now what do you think, living under my sink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I do praise satanism for placing themselves on a higher pedestal than the rest of humanity, but the instant people begin to like satanism as a form of cool "you're special" blanket, it will go under faster than ground zero did.
You praise arrogance and self righteousness?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #30
raggedyanne

I think it's more realizing that you are special. Not "I Am the Master of Cool", but that there is something within you that makes you that much more important than the ones who are trying to drag you down. That's my viewpoint anyway.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #31
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_dude
You praise arrogance and self righteousness?
If your definitions of those two words do not entail a superiority complex and narrow-mindedness, then yes.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 PM   #32
Kraven de Sade

I used to study Satanism, so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Satanism (Laveyenism, at least) deify all people?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 AM   #33
Minyaliel

Not all Satanists are like that, though... You're generalizing, which is not a good thing imho because, well, there are people who do act like that and then there are people who don't. You make it sound like all Satanists (or more specifically, the Laveyanists) are stupid¸ arrogrant bastards.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:03 AM   #34
Minyaliel

I know, I've read a lot about the CoS, it's founder, and yes, I have read the Satanic Bible (and the "Satanic Rituals" and the "Satanic Witch" and a huge pile of articles written by him and other priests and high priests of the CoS). I agree with you, the Satanic Bible (and everything else he ever wrote) stinks. Most of it is plagiarized and simplified from other authors' work, which annoys me to no end - the originals at least make sense, even though I rarely find myself agreeing to them.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 04-23-2007, 05:17 AM   #35
Jarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
Not all Satanists are like that, though... You're generalizing, which is not a good thing imho because, well, there are people who do act like that and then there are people who don't. You make it sound like all Satanists (or more specifically, the Laveyanists) are stupid¸ arrogrant bastards.
If this is directed at me then, I was generalizing and it wasn't particularly just at LaVeyan Satanists, In general, all organized religion no matter how seemingly sense making is incredibly flawed, just in the blinding self importance of each religion alone. Every follower of every religion, is basically the same int eh aspect of "My religion is the best".

However, there are the few from each group or are not the typical follower of that religion. and I acknowledge that.
Jarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:59 AM   #36
Cyntrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl
Every follower of every religion, is basically the same int eh aspect of "My religion is the best".
If someone didn't think their religion was best, they wouldn't follow it, not would they?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 AM   #37
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
If someone didn't think their religion was best, they wouldn't follow it, not would they?
Ah, see, there is the problem at the heart of modern "religion", which actually is not terribly religious.

I spent a good chunk of last night reading about Satanism, thanks to the link originally provided by Bloopie. There was this magical jolt of adrenaline, and that kicked ass. I did feel a wall or two coming down. I'm hanging on to the memory of it.

OTOH it was difficult to take seriously in the big picture sense. We're talking about a group of people who drone on about how superior, rebellious, and free they are, and in the next breath tell you never to do anything illegal. Next they dust off their own "Satanic Rules of the Earth" which include, among other chain-bursting libations, "Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food" and "Thou shalt not steal", only worded differently.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 AM   #38
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
If your definitions of those two words do not entail a superiority complex and narrow-mindedness, then yes.

How can you be self-righteous and arrogant without a superiority complex?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #39
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

I read a bit from that link that bloopie posted, and, from the little graphic of the fellow in devil horns onward, I was unimpressed.

One of the commandments stated that, when walking in "open country" or somesuch thing, do not bother anyone, and if someone bothers you to "destroy" them. All I was able to picture was a wretchedly skinny, black-clad 14 year old skulking through a high school hall mumbling about "destroying" the captain of the football team.

Satanism: it's not just for lonely, self deluding nerds anymore! Well, yes it is. Really.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #40
Jarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
Hence why *following* isn't a good thing,
Jarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #41
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopie
Yes, it's mainly for self-deluding ASSHOLES. Not nerds. Nerds are smart enough to be atheists or agnostics.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to offend you. Please, for the love of Lucifer, put the lightsaber down.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:22 AM   #42
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

I gathered. It's alright, I am too.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #43
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinstripesAndPithHelmets
How can you be self-righteous and arrogant without a superiority complex?
Haha, that's basically the point.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 04-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #44
raggedyanne

Agnostic and loving it. I think that Satanism was founded by a bunch of fed up school boys who were able to come up with a few really good ideas, but were still, in the end, just schoolboys. Yes, I know that's not the real story. I'm more a believer in karma
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #45
Toxic if Swallowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
What kinds of satanism are there? At the present I am highly fed up with Christianity.
Satanism isn't an organized religion. It varies Satanist to Satanist. To answer your question, there are endless variations of Satanism.

Where as I do agree with quite a lot of what LaVey said in The Satanic Bible and I love reading Satan Speaks, I do believe in a living being known as Satan.

To explain my exact beliefs though would take some time, and I don't speak on my beliefs unless asked.
Toxic if Swallowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:35 PM   #46
Minyaliel

TiF - thank you for that one - I was starting to give up trying to point that out. Good to see a fellow theist here
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 04-25-2007, 11:37 PM   #47
raggedyanne

thanks, I'll look into that. From what I've gathered, it is to be interpreted by the believer.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:41 PM   #48
ghettogoth69

satanists are scary.
ghettogoth69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #49
MollyMac

The only scary things are those which you do not understand out of an honest ignorance or a willful ignorance.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #50
ghettogoth69

I guess. but yeah
ghettogoth69 is offline   Reply With Quote