Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Man killed when golf cart plummets over cliff

This is why I don't golf:

UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM

1:42 p.m. May 22, 2007

PALA – A 65-year-old golfer was killed Tuesday morning when he drove his golf cart over a rocky cliff and plunged some 75 feet to his death.
Edwin Payne, who was from Irvine and had recently retired, was golfing at the Pala Mesa Golf Resort with three other friends when the accident happened around 10 a.m., said California Highway Patrol Officer Tom Kerns.

He had just hit another on the second hole and was on his way to his next shot, Kerns said.
He was alone in the golf cart and was driving along a concrete path when for unknown reasons, he drove over a raised curb that lines the pathway on both sides and onto a brushy embankment, Kerns said.

He traversed about 20 feet down the embankment to a point where there is a sheer drop-off and hurtled over the side, Kerns said.

The cliff is made up primarily of large rocks and boulders, and is adjacent to Old Highway 395 near Pala Mesa Road, Kerns said.

Witnesses said the man rode the golf cart almost entirely to the bottom but was ejected before it hit the ground, Kerns said.

He landed on the asphalt in the southbound bike lane of the highway where he died, Kerns said.

Authorities are investigating the accident and are examining the golf cart which had its top and seat sheared off. Kerns said that the cart was capable of 7 to 10 miles per hour.

All lanes of Old Highway 395 were closed for about two and a half hours one-quarter mile in both directions, although people still had access to the resort, Kerns said.

Kerns said the man's friend worked for a realty company and they had come to the resort for some rest and relaxation.

No drugs or alcohol were involved in the accident, Kerns said.

The man was married, his identity is being withheld until his family is notified.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...2golfcar2.html

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
bleedingheart344

This is why I don't play golf.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
deafasadoornail

This is one of those deaths that's sort of funny, but you feel guilty for laughing and relieved it's not you.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
killer_asian_Dax

I'm not suprised he died. When a fall like that happens, who really expects anyone to live? What really would have got me was if he plunged and LIVED!

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
ugh...

Maybe he died before he even drove off the cliff.

I used to work at a garden center (the green thumb matches my black outfits really well) that was situated at a 4-way intersection with poor visibility. One day two years ago I was working outside when I heard a crash. A woman in a mini-van had plowed into an old man in a Buick. At first we thought he had died on the scene and the woman had accidentally killed him. However, after the autopsy was done they found that he had a heart attack while his foot was on the pedal and he drove-while dead-into the middle of the road.

I have a feeling that is what happened in this case. Who knows what will show up, though.
ugh... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
Vyvian Blackthorne

Good goth, this just shows you kiddies the dangers of playing golf *hands matches and places children in street*

Goth Forever