Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #51
Raptor

Good argument Drake Dun.

On a slightly different note, I don't quite get how anyone can teach creationism in america (in schools) anyway... doesn't that violate the whole seperation of church and state thing or whatever it is? Hmm thats something I think I'll go look up actually, don't know what I'm talking about.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #52
deafasadoornail

Hmm....I'm still not convinced. But I did learn something, Drake.

I learned I'm far too stupid to have an opinion on this. I don't believe in creationism, but I don't think I should believe in something that can't be explained in terms I can understand either. I majored in English and a lot of those sites make my brain hurt.

So I'll just abstain from having a position on either one in the future. This should make a lot of people happy.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #53
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Good argument Drake Dun.
Thanks.

Quote:
On a slightly different note, I don't quite get how anyone can teach creationism in america (in schools) anyway... doesn't that violate the whole seperation of church and state thing or whatever it is?
According to standing court precedent, yes. The entire point of the "ID" permutation was to ditch the stigma of "creationism" in favor of "a science consonant with Christian and theistic convictions". In other words, to strip American creationism of its more embarassing bible-humping and recast it as a scientific theory. This was the much derided "wedge strategy" of the infamous Discovery Institute.

In 2005 a federal district court decided that ID is creationism. Presumably other federal district courts would follow suit, although at present I am unaware of any higher level precedent.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #54
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafasadoornail
I learned I'm far too stupid to have an opinion on this. I don't believe in creationism, but I don't think I should believe in something that can't be explained in terms I can understand either. I majored in English and a lot of those sites make my brain hurt.
The links I posted in my previous post included some pretty heavy material. The reason for that is that they were compiled for the specific purpose of debate. In debate you are dealing with a hostile audience, so your presentation has to be water tight. That means getting down to the nitty gritty.

I am dead tired at the moment and I really need to go lose conciousness, but when I come back to the machine I will track down a good plain English introduction to evolutionary theory. The basic idea is actually quite simple... nothing you can't read about and get down clear in your head inside 30 minutes, I would think. It's worth knowing.

Quote:
So I'll just abstain from having a position on either one in the future. This should make a lot of people happy.
I doubt anybody will get too upset about that. Anyway, I wasn't upset that you didn't have total faith in the factuality of evolution. It was the suggestion that the theory of evolution is unscientific that got me a bit riled.

Drake
Old 06-15-2007, 06:28 AM   #55
Drake Dun

Okay, I have found a tolerable introduction to evolutionary theory on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_evolution

Enjoy.

Drake