Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #501
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStardust
I love you!! I wish I had your nerve when I was in high school. You HAVE to let me know how it goes!!
With pleasure, the fireworks should be quite spectacular. Unfortunately, I have law next semester, so you'll have to wait a little. Hope it's worth it.

And it might be better if I had less nerve. My willingness to argue/fuck with people I disagree with tends to get me in trouble.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #502
Lapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
...punk kids who think the misfits are even close to a decent band...
I hate Misfits. I really do. I tried to like them, because most of my friends did, but the entire time I was listening, I was sitting there going "This is shite. Can we put The Ramones back on now?" in my head.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #503
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
I hate Misfits. I really do. I tried to like them, because most of my friends did, but the entire time I was listening, I was sitting there going "This is shite. Can we put The Ramones back on now?" in my head.
I wouldn't hate them so much if they had any talent, but they don't, he tries to sing like opera with a punk rock drum beat
it doesnt work

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #504
Vyvian Blackthorne

Glenn's misfits were never like that with the Opera/"melodic" sounding style lacking influences. Wormboy, that's not the original Misfits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
"Can we put the Ramones back on now?"
Bwahahhah! Are you kidding? PopOMGPunk Ramones? Psshh. One of the worst "Rock" bands ever. But there influence lives on, at the least. I'd rather hear a chorus of demonic gibberish than a few wannabe Greaser-rejects singing.

Goth Forever
Old 09-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #505
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
I love you!! I wish I had your nerve when I was in high school. You HAVE to let me know how it goes!!

Oh, and to LaBelleDameSansMerci: Beautiful choice in screen name and avatar. I adore that poem.
Thank you, LadyStardust. It's one of my favourites as well. It's a good length, and nice and simple. Another one of my favs is The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge. The imagery in it is so vivid.
Your avatar is really pretty as well. I love that black-and-white thing. Very goth ;P

I wish I had nerve too. I went to a secular highschool though, so I didn't have as much reason to use the discussion-about-gay-marriage-and-abortion-laws to rebel... But there are plenty of examples where I could have said something striking, but failed to do so.

Big fuck-off to Militantly Modernist Art teachers. If I want to do traditional art, that's my own fucking choice. I don't want to come up with art pieces like shitting in a can or a pile of used pizza boxes in a corner or a white transport truck box in a white room, or screaming my head off about vaginas while strewing rose petals all over the road. Oh but darn, I can't use ideas like that cuz then I'd be labelled "derivative." Oh nose!
...I'd rather show skill and talent in Art, rather than in bullshit or cracked-out ideas.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #506
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
Thank you, LadyStardust. It's one of my favourites as well. It's a good length, and nice and simple. Another one of my favs is The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge. The imagery in it is so vivid.
Your avatar is really pretty as well. I love that black-and-white thing. Very goth ;P

I wish I had nerve too. I went to a secular highschool though, so I didn't have as much reason to use the discussion-about-gay-marriage-and-abortion-laws to rebel... But there are plenty of examples where I could have said something striking, but failed to do so.

Big fuck-off to Militantly Modernist Art teachers. If I want to do traditional art, that's my own fucking choice. I don't want to come up with art pieces like shitting in a can or a pile of used pizza boxes in a corner or a white transport truck box in a white room, or screaming my head off about vaginas while strewing rose petals all over the road. Oh but darn, I can't use ideas like that cuz then I'd be labelled "derivative." Oh nose!
...I'd rather show skill and talent in Art, rather than in bullshit or cracked-out ideas.
sometimes you can use skillfull art with cracked out ideas

look at salvador dali

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #507
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Yes, he is an exception to the general rule of no-skills modern art. He did paint very well. But he sold out on his melting clocks. Once that first painting became so popular, he used them way too much after that...

I guess, while I'm talking about modern art...
A big Fuck-Off to Marcel Duchamp for that goddamn urinal, and that goddamn bicycle wheel in the stool. Those two works are the ones that started the "If I put a random object in a gallery, it must be art!" thing.
*sigh* I know it's a little over-simplistic, and he was being cheeky, so I guess another fuck-off to the people who took him seriously.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #508
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
Yes, he is an exception to the general rule of no-skills modern art. He did paint very well. But he sold out on his melting clocks. Once that first painting became so popular, he used them way too much after that...

I guess, while I'm talking about modern art...
A big Fuck-Off to Marcel Duchamp for that goddamn urinal, and that goddamn bicycle wheel in the stool. Those two works are the ones that started the "If I put a random object in a gallery, it must be art!" thing.
*sigh* I know it's a little over-simplistic, and he was being cheeky, so I guess another fuck-off to the people who took him seriously.
lol I suppose you don't like warhol then

Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #509
Vyvian Blackthorne

Guess I'll step in...

I love ancient artwork. I love Modern artwork; though it's the taste and talent and themes applied toward the art that matters at the end of the day.

Warhol was a genius. Clearly his work was not "Pop". In fact, that entire term was a joke anyway because Pop and Art are almost polar opposites. He showed respect toward the media, but he was making fun of the corperations.

Watch his films, a totally different perspective then what's generalised through his paintings. Modernism and Post-Modernism are aquired aesthetics and forms of art.
It's impossible to compare the look of the art from the Raphelite and Post-modern periods. But what about the feeling and emotion? I see an equal amount of sorrow in Gough's work as I do in "ancient" artwork, imprevious toward desecration.

But before you ride Warhol to the grave once again, consider taking a peek at his film work with Paul Morriessey and 'The Factory' before glancing at his so called "pop" art.

*Sigh*.

Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Old 09-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #510
LaBelleDameSansMerci

lol, I'm not saying that modern art doesn't have a right to exist, and if you like modern art, all the power to you.
I just don't think that Warhol made great paintings simply because they were socially conscious and critical. Yes, he did criticize mass production and Hollywood clichés, and I respect him for that, but that does not mean he showed prodigious skill in painting.
I've never heard about his respect for the media because I haven't heard anything on that topic, but he certainly used the media. One of my art history teachers (they could be wrong or biased though...) said that he DID have prodigious skill in "schmoozing" and manipulating the media.
I admire the skill with which the artists from the 16th to mid-19th (and non-modernists in the late 19th century, ex. Pre-Raphaelites). I admire how they can manipulate paint and brushstrokes to make it look like you're standing in front of a window showing a frozen moment in time, or how a sculptor can carve a chunk of rock into living, breathing, moving people turned to stone.
I love the use of symbols, as well; It's fun trying to read a painting like the masses would have been able to do - would have had to do, since most of them were illiterate - 500 years ago, or farther back than that. Charlemagne tried to pick up the reading thing once he was crowned Emporer of Rome and decided to try a bit of Roman Revival, but he just couldn't do it.

Don't get me wrong, I see sorrow in Van Gogh's work too. I don't mind him or Manet so much, and I don't mind the impressionists very much. It's more once you get into colour field art or random-object-art, or genitalia art, that I get really pissed off. I also dislike the kind of abstract art that represents something high and mighty and idealistic, but gives no indication to the viewer that it represents that high and mighty and idealistic thing.

Which reminds me, I have two more fuck-offs.
Fuck off to the artists who spend their lives sculpting or painting sex/reproductive organs, sometimes exclusively. I know they're made to shock, or disgust people, or bring out subconscious sexual urges that Freud says we all have. They do their job well - I'll admit I'm kinda shocked when I see such works, and quite disgusted, but mostly disgusted and annoyed at what I consider to be an irritating waste of good sculpture material.

Which brings me to my 2nd fuck-off, which goes to Freud. Yes, the Great and Revered and Semi-Jawless Sigmund Freud, who brushed his teeth with cocaine and based his general-population theories soley on the mentally ill who went to him for treatment. Yes, his Id-Ego-Superego does make sense for a simple view of the mind, but his Oedipus and Electra complexes? I'm not angry at my mother for "taking away my penis." If I was angry at ANYONE for taking away my penis, it would have to be my Dad, since it's the sperm that has the x or y chromosome.
I guess a fuck-off can go to society for still giggling about unconscious sexual urges like silly prepubescent school girls. Freud came out with his theories 80 years ago. GET OVER IT.

And please, please don't take this to mean I don't think I have subconscious sexual urges. I just don't think they need to be paraded around, discreetly, shyly, blatantly, whatever.
Edit/P.S.: I don't blame anyone if they find this post too long to read. I tend to be tangential.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #511
Reikikuro

I'd like to tell a whole lot of people to go fuck off. Mainly though I fucking hate every ignorant jack-ass customer that ever fucking walked into my restaurant eating everything in site without leaving a god damn tip. If you can't leave a buck, then you're a cheap fuck.
"Especially those fucking foreigners who pretend they don't know, but they do, THEY DO!!!"(quoth Waiting) I live off those fucking tips. they are my meal tickets and my bus fare to college. Why do you think they tip waiters? I tell you. Because we don't make enough fucking money!!! I would get a better job that makes more money but i need a college degree for those. If you can't leave a fucking tip then stay the fuck home!

I know I have issues.
Reikikuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #512
Rae Ven Rae

I agree with Labelle here on Freud--the man was some kind of sexist weirdo--he actually thought a girl playing with a doll was expressing a desire for a penis..

WTF...

I may have just liked playing with the damn thing...
Rae Ven Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #513
Lapin

I see an argument about Warhol, and my knee-jerk reaction is:

"WARHOL WAS A HACK DAMN IT!" *breathes* He watered down Duchamps' stuff (Which, by the way, I'm not a real big fan of). He kissed the ground Duchamp walked on people. He was not the big original people made him out to be. He was one tiny piece of a movement, and he wasn't even that good.

I look at Warhol, and all I can see is the shallow bastard he was. He was to. A shallow bastard, I mean. He was a society-obsessed, image-obsessed, fake damn it.

(Thus we end the French Rabbit's rant)
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #514
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Yay! Someone else who seethes at Warhol and Duchamp! I never thought I'd meet anyone else who remotely shared my opinion on them.
I shake my head at his soup can labels garish posters of over-revered celebrities and wonder what art has come to.

Also, I partly blame the camera. It's around when it was invented that art started down this damn path of insipidity.
So, I guess, Fuck Off to Daguerre and his fellow camera inventors.

But then again, cameras are pretty cool. I wouldn't say they're in the same category as painting or sculpture, but they do have their uses :P, such as documenting DIY for subsequent posting on this site....

Old 09-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #515
Rae Ven Rae

hey but we can credit Warhol for the infamous "15 minutes of fame" reference...
Old 09-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #516
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Oh Yeah. I Forgot About That. Well Then, My Opinion Of Warhol Has Completely Changed.
:P *bubbly titters*

Old 09-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #517
Rae Ven Rae

LOL...

I always felt the man was a tad bit over rated myself, but then there are certain aspects of the art scene I don't get --like minimalism WTF...

Cubism--I got--surrealism--love it--melted clocks--good...photorealism, pointiliism, impressionism--hey all good ism's...

but minimilism???

Any kid who make s mess could be an artistic visionary by this particular criteria--besides, the founder was a suspected murderer, but that is another story, for another time...

art! *pffft*
Old 09-09-2007, 12:19 AM   #518
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Minimalism is supposed to be cold and emotionless. Plain, simple, and beautiful (though that last is up for debate).
One guy I particularly hate is Mondrian. Goddamn primary-coloured quadrangles...
The other thing I hate about a lot of modern art is that it's supported by writings that are full of meaningless words.

I get some of modern art, like the isms you mentionned, Rae. I just don't hold it in such high regard as I do traditional art...

Old 09-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #519
Rae Ven Rae

Ditto--Give me Boticelli, Rueben, or a Titian any day-- hell even a Renoir or Monet...

Ooo what do you think of Escher and Dali -- they are too somewhat modernistic masters I admire --I also like Dali over Picasso--they were bitter rivals...
Old 09-09-2007, 12:34 AM   #520
LadyStardust

If you think Duchamps is bad, you should check out Sherri Levine. Which reminds me: a giant FUCK OFFS to goddamn ready-mades that try to pass themselves off as art!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:28 AM   #521
Wormboy

-.- go read the philosophy of andy warhol and tell me that man isnt a genius

Old 09-09-2007, 02:29 AM   #522
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Ven Rae
Ditto--Give me Boticelli, Rueben, or a Titian any day-- hell even a Renoir or Monet...

Ooo what do you think of Escher and Dali -- they are too somewhat modernistic masters I admire --I also like Dali over Picasso--they were bitter rivals...
salvador dali was a bitter rival with reality as a whole ( i love him)

Old 09-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #523
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Ven Rae

I do like Escher, and I like early Dali, before he started pouring out the melting clocks. I do like Dali far more than I like Picasso, too.

Boticelli is awesome. He was quite odd for his time. And Titian is another of my favs... aparently he lived to 99 years old. I have a small print of one of Rubens' paintings on masonite; Contessa Maria Spinola Doria, or something along those lines.
If you haven't checked out Giovanni Bellini, do so. His paintings are so cool. They generally seem manifestly still and pensive. *sigh* <3

Quote:
If you think Duchamps is bad, you should check out Sherri Levine. Which reminds me: a giant FUCK OFFS to goddamn ready-mades that try to pass themselves off as art!
YEAH!!! BURN THE TRANSPORT BOXES!!!! I heartily second that Fuck Off.
A vote is before the forum.....

Old 10-02-2007, 03:47 AM   #524
Nevan

Fuck off IE - I give you a two middle-finger salute! Opera is SO MUCH better!

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #525
raggedyanne

One gigundo fuck off to stupid fake high school girls and their unnecissary drama.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote